Bert and Ernie Gay Rumor: Settled

Drtooth

Reaction score
:stick_out_tongue::frown:I won't ever support this weird marriage petition for Bert & Ernie, but it upsets me how many people are rabidly peeved by the notion that the characters might have gay roots. Sunlight is the greatest disinfectant for intolerance. Ultimately I believe in Frank Oz' infamous wink and nod about this topic. I wonder how many people are upset about his statement about Miss Piggy's origin as a cross-dressing truck driver with delusions and self-esteem issues. :mad:
I'm not at all annoyed by the notion. I kinda think it was funny at first, then the novelty wore off (too many people used that joke, and it wasn't really funny until the American Dad musical number "We're Red and We're Gay")... I like how the community embraces any characters that have been denounced as gay by religious zealot leaders (like Tinky Winky) almost as a sarcastic backhand... it definitely has a cult feel to it.

Yet, I wonder... was there some aspect of that in there in the first place, or did it just evolve out of the old Laurel and Hardy shorts (they slept in the same beds in cases) and the Odd Couple? Plus, Bert DID have feelings for Connie Stevens...

There are a lot of characters I see that are very much out and stereotypically so... unfortunately, they've pretty obscure. Candy of Space Goofs... they made NO attempts to cover up the fact he is very effeminate, wears a dress, and even had dates with males. And since it was so under the radar, NO ONE said anything. My favorites would be Mr. 2 Bon Clay and Ivankov of One Piece. Clearly inspired by Rocky Horror Picture Show to an extent... seriously... if I were a gay man and/or at least comfortable with myself, I'd cosplay Ivankov. I would.

Heck, it was even strongly hinted in the GOOD early Ren and Stimpy episodes before John K did the adult version... that left very little to the imagination.

Ernie and Bert however... I don't mind it, I'd support it, but I dunno what to make of the characters beyond roommates. It's like how I don't like to think about how the Muppet Babies are always at the nursery and don't have parents... With Ernie and Bert, at best, they're 2 guys that live together... at worst, I see abandoned siblings having to live in an apartment with the assistance of Gordon and the rest.

And again, why is no one else but me embracing Bunsen and Beaker as more than friends? There's GOT to be a reason Beaker keeps coming back after getting blown up multiple times.

Katzi428

Reaction score
DON'T EVEN START ON THE GAY RUMORS,PEOPLE!!! Sesame Workshop themselves even said that B & E are just friends! And I'm sure that now Disney would say the SAME thing about Bunsen & Beaker! :rolleyes::mad:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
DON'T EVEN START ON THE GAY RUMORS,PEOPLE!!! Sesame Workshop themselves even said that B & E are just friends! And I'm sure that now Disney would say the SAME thing about Bunsen & Beaker! :rolleyes::mad:
I think people have been hinting about Bunsen and Beaker for a little while now.

They've certainly been hinting about Dr. Van Neuter, what with the name, and his slightly effeminate mannerism of speech, etc.

Katzi428

Reaction score
I think people have been hinting about Bunsen and Beaker for a little while now.

They've certainly been hinting about Dr. Van Neuter, what with the name, and his slightly effeminate mannerism of speech, etc.
:grr:
For :jim:'s sake Muppets are not gay. JUST like Ernie & Bert are not gay. OK?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wow! :eek: While I respect your point of view on the topic, the passion in your reply appears to expose some rather angry feelings toward gay people. I hope that's not the case. Many entertainment properties, including the Muppets, would be much different without creative folk from all walks of life including gay people.

As i've stated before, this is very much a litmus test for tolerance. It reminds me of a few dissenters who were upset with the possibility of Zoot being Jewish. :cool:

I do think this petition is as silly as the people who get so riled up against it. Who the heck cares is Bert & Ernie display some gay tendencies? Rest assured that nothing is going to change on Sesame Street.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
I wonder how many people are upset about his statement about Miss Piggy's origin as a cross-dressing truck driver with delusions and self-esteem issues.
Well, that DOES explain her handling a semi so well, LOL. :smile:
The closest I ever came to this concept was when I made Piggy and Bobby Vegan siblings and her diva-ness was a subconscious need to deal with the guilt she felt that her mother tossed Bobby out of the family, in a sort of "I'll be the star that you couldn't be" kind of thing....
Drtooth said:
Yet, I wonder... was there some aspect of that in there in the first place, or did it just evolve out of the old Laurel and Hardy shorts (they slept in the same beds in cases) and the Odd Couple? Plus, Bert DID have feelings for Connie Stevens...
Now, I'm cool either way, but ... in terms of "evidence", I think Bert has more in common with GONZO than anything else. I mean, he loves him some pigeons, LOL. :wink:
And again, why is no one else but me embracing Bunsen and Beaker as more than friends? There's GOT to be a reason Beaker keeps coming back after getting blown up multiple times.
Hey, I cheered in Letters to Santa. I recall saying on MC ... "Thought so." In my mind, while there were lots of really great t-shirts in that t-shirt thread, the shippy ones between these two were the ones I wanted the most.
Katzi428 said:
And I'm sure that now Disney would say the SAME thing about Bunsen & Beaker!
I'm cool with leaving Bert and Ernie ambiguous, because as far as I know, nary a real hint has been dropped except a rainbow shirt or whatever, unless you count the "it's that stick in front of you" kind of thing in the airplane in Follow That Bird, LOL. However, Letters to Santa pretty much summed up what a lot of us have been suspecting for years.
For 's sake Muppets are not gay. JUST like Ernie & Bert are not gay. OK?
Geez, get a grip, Kathy. Why the heck not? How does that change who they are? I mean, I can understand if you're arguing from some lack of canon evidence, but ... at least with SOME Muppets, there's been enough reason to suspect for a looooong time.
frogboy4 said:
Rest assured that nothing is going to change on Sesame Street.
Yeah. I mean, it's not like anyone really watches it anymore. Grover and Kermit could be caught in bed and hardly anyone would notice because apparently no one lives on SST anymore.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Geez, get a grip, Kathy. Why the heck not? How does that change who they are?
For me, I don't mind if characters are gay. What bothers me is when you have two male characters who are very close and people say "Well clearly they must be in a romantic relationship!" as though two guys could never be very close friends who show affection for each other. It's a silly macho stereotype.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Wow! :eek: While I respect your point of view on the topic, the passion in your reply appears to expose some rather angry feelings toward gay people. I hope that's not the case. Many entertainment properties, including the Muppets, would be much different without creative folk from all walks of life including gay people.

As i've stated before, this is very much a litmus test for tolerance. It reminds me of a few dissenters who were upset with the possibility of Zoot being Jewish. :cool:

I do think this petition is as silly as the people who get so riled up against it. Who the heck cares is Bert & Ernie display some gay tendencies? Rest assured that nothing is going to change on Sesame Street.
Jamie...I'm sorry.:embarrassed: It did sound like I have something against gay people,didn't it? I apologize wholeheartedly My sister is gay. And I respect her choice. I apologize to everyone. I shouldn't have flown off the handle like I did. Please accept my apology?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Jamie...I'm sorry.:embarrassed: It did sound like I have something against gay people,didn't it? I apologize wholeheartedly My sister is gay. And I respect her choice. I apologize to everyone. I shouldn't have flown off the handle like I did. Please accept my apology?
It's no problem. It just kind of startled me. :concern: We don't really see being gay as a choice, but I get what you mean. :wink:

I personally want Bert and Ernie to remain exactly as they are. Sesame is best when they keep things simple. People should see what they want to see in characters. They're built in a way to remind us to parts of our own lives. That means different things to different people. It also means keeping certain things undefined. The only thing I'd change is to see more of them (and not just in those claymation specials). :stick_out_tongue::frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The only thing I'd change is to see more of them
Yeah that's the only controversy I'm concerned about; the way the classic characters are being placed in the background. It won't really matter if they're gay or straight if we never see them, now will it? :wink: