Bernadette Peters Heads to Broadway

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bernadette Peters Heads to Broadway
Coutesy of Yahoo News

Tony award winner Bernadette Peters will be back on Broadway in 2003 as Mamma Rose in the musical Gypsy.

At 13, Peters joined the show's national touring company as Baby June's understudy. But she only got to perform on stage as one of the "Hollywood Blondes," June's assistants.

Peters, 54, who won Tony awards for "Annie Get Your Gun" and Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Song and Dance," has been unstoppable since then. She won a Golden Globe for the film "Pennies from Heaven" and Emmy nominations for her appearances on "The Muppet Show" and "Ally McBeal."

So far, her favorite role was in "Annie Get Your Gun."

"It was so much fun or I'd never have stayed with it for two years," she told Parade magazine. "Even 5-year-olds loved that show, as well as the 80-year-olds."

Stephen Sondheim is among her favorite composers.

"He's divine because he loves the singer so much," Peters said. "And after you sing, he says 'I could never do what you do up there.'"

Traveling Matt

Reaction score
Hey folks!

For those of you who get Parade magazine (I guess they stick it only in newspapers because that's where I have always seen it) Bernadette is in todays, April 14th. She's featured in the "In Step With..." feature in the back, and the article discusses her return to Broadway. The Muppet Show is mentioned as well in her credits.

- Billy :cool:

Gonzo

Reaction score
Melissa SAW Bernadette Peters in "Annie Get Your Gun," and she LOVE LOVE LOVED it. She was on the Today Show either this morning or yesterday morning (Bernadette, not Melissa), and she was promoting a new CD called "Bernadette Peters Loves Rogers & Hammerstein" or something. If you're a fan of either Ms. Peters or Broadway, it might be worth looking up!

One of her favorite performances that I've seen is in "Into The Woods," the Sondheim play from about 15 years ago that was being bandied about as a possible Henson project at one point--if you haven't seen it, look for it on video or DVD.

That's it.

Quinnnnnnnnnnn

Schala

Reaction score
To Gonzo

Are you serious about that it might have become a Henson project? I wish they had done it, that would be awesome. Into the Woods is one of my absolute favorite shows. (And I get to see it when it comes back soon!)

Gonzo

Reaction score
Yeah, at one point they were talking about an Into the Woods film, and Henson was going to be involved in it. Not a Muppet production, but a Jim Henson Production, with things from the Creature Shop involved, etc. I think the storyline would work well with the Muppets, as well--since from Day One they've been telling sort of "Fractured Fairy Tales" stories with their characters.

Anyway, the last time I heard ANYTHING about that was...five years ago or so? So I really don't think anything will ever happen with it.

Quinnnnnnnnnnn

Sweetums

Reaction score
I saw Bernadette live in concert in 2000. It was such a cool experience!!! :smile: She's an awesome preformer.

I also love "Into the Woods", it's my favorite musical of all-time. It's coming back to Broadway in just a few days, as a matter of fact, this time with Vanessa Williams as the Witch. I wish I could see that production! It looks and sounds so cool!!

-Sweetums