Avenue Q wins Best Musical, Score and Book

Jinx

Reaction score
It really would not have been that difficult to get Twoey on stage for the Tonys. Remember that those stage hands do it every night! And think of touring productions where they're moving to different theatres all the time. It would have presented a few challenges, sure, but nothing they could not have handled. Truly it would have been great to see!

And just a minor correction, The movie of LSOH was nominated for "Mean Green Mother…", as Feed Me/Git It was written for the stage, and a song must be composed for the film in order to be nominated for an Oscar.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Dang! Once again I've been one upped in my knowledge of Little Shop trivia! You're right, much to my embarrassment. It was "Mean Green Mother From Outer Space." That was s ight to see, Audrey II performing live on TV and all. Hey, does anyone know if a 20th anniversary edition of Little Shop is in the works, hopefully with the original ending included? I know it wouldn't be until 2006, but they've gotta be talking about it somewhere!

Jinx

Reaction score
It would be interesting if they were to release a special edition. However, I doubt that that will happen. When it was originally released on DVD, it DID contain the "original ending" footage. David Geffen, the producer, quickly had that stopped, and only a few are in circulation. I got one on ebay, I think I paid about $107 for it.

The original ending (which, in my opinion, is SOOOOOO much better) was never really cut to a finished edit, so the footage is mostly effects shots, unfinished, of the various Audrey II's wreaking havoc on the world. There's some really great stuff in there, like a pod blowing down a chimney and all the windows of the building blowing out. The worst part its that its all black and white, as that was all that was salvaged from the Mexican effects house that produced the shots.

And in my opinion, no one does better director's commentary than Frank Oz. I love his commentarties both on LSOH and on Bowfinger. Very informative stuff!

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I can't imagine why Geffen would have removed the "original ending" Little Shop from shelves. What was he thinking? Fans worldwide would totally dig that sort of feature. That's quite a wealth of info you've provided us fans, and it's much appreciated. In the meantime, I'll keep hoping for an anniversary edition of Little Shop and start selling plasma for a potential e-bay purchase of the first DVD.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I seem to recall someone from LSOH saying that the twoey was built especially for the theatre. It is not the same as the original off-Broadway puppet, it's much bigger and more complex. Maybe they couldn't move it?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I seem to recall someone from LSOH saying that the twoey was built especially for the theatre. It is not the same as the original off-Broadway puppet, it's much bigger and more complex. Maybe they couldn't move it?

Oh. Too bad they couldn't do a remote kind of thing, then. Had Twoey speak to the audience from her own theater. That would have been nice. Not that I even got to see the Tonys at all... :smirk:

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
I was so psyched that Avenue Q won Best Musical. My mantra at that point in the show was "Wicked or Avenue Q. Wicked or Avenue Q." And did anyone else besides me get a kick out of Rod flirting with Hugh Jackman? That was just about as good as Hugh pulling Sarah Jessica Parker up onstage with him during "Not The Boy Next Door."

I'm also glad that Idina Menzel won Best Actress in a Musical. I loved the number she and Kirstin Chenoweth did onstage, "Defying Gravity." The look on Kirsten's face when Idina was "flying" at the climax of the song said it all: "This is your moment to shine, girl." And it was cute how, when introducing the song, Joel Grey called them "my girls."

-Kim

Jennifer12

Reaction score
Agreed. It was the best Tony show in years. Although, I did miss the behind the scenes bits at the beginning about the costumes, set design, etc. I guess they did away with it to make more time for the theatrical numbers. Can't complain too much.

I didn't think Avenue Q had a chance. I thought it would all go to Wicked, since Wicked is more of a traditional musical, but I'm thrilled for Ave Q!

And I thought Sarah Jessica Parker came off as a bit prissy when he pulled her up there. He tried to brush it off, but I think he thought she'd be more into it.

Jen

radionate

Reaction score
mupvisiongirl said:
I've been hearing rumors of a national tour of ave q....
Don't know if this was addressed in another thread or not (I didn't look), but actually Avenue Q won't be touring for quite awhile. They just signed an exclusive contract to only have the show playing in New York City and Vegas.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
NATE!!!! :smile:

Yeah, I read that somewhere (prolly TP). But, I'm disappointed that it's not going on the road. It'd have been great to see that at the Orpheum. Especially since I won't ever get to visit those other places.