Attaching Puppet Arms?

PuppetMom

Reaction score
Has anyone used the snaps on their puppets? Just seems to me that it might be kind of easy to lose an arm during a performance or something...I just never thought snaps held that tight...but I could be wrong (it's happened once before!! :wink: :excited: ) [Me being wrong that is, not losing an arm during performance :smile: ]

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Yeah PuppetMom has a Point. how do you attach these Pressed Studs to a Puppet arm making it so it won't fall off?

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
Ohhhh!

Buck-Beaver said:
They're also known as snap fasteners. There's a page with more info and a couple diagrams here.
Yes, now that is it! I would imagine that the arms would be removeable if a press stud were to be used. I am not sure, but I might lean more towards a Doll Joint.:smile:

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
On legs for me

PuppetMom said:
Has anyone used the snaps on their puppets? Just seems to me that it might be kind of easy to lose an arm during a performance or something...I just never thought snaps held that tight...but I could be wrong (it's happened once before!! ) [Me being wrong that is, not losing an arm during performance :smile: ]
Of course like many others, I have only used snaps for legs. I have never tried arms. I would like to hear some more on the arm thi ng myself from others who have tried this method. I do know that some of the snaps that are out there will hold very tight. I guess it would depend on the type you purchase.:attitude:

Phantom

Reaction score
PuppetMom said:
Just seems to me that it might be kind of easy to lose an arm during a performance or something...
Just think of the violence and mayhem that could ensue...*insert evil laugh smiley*...oh wait we have one :crazy:

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
It depends on the type you use, as someone else said, some are made to be stronger than others, is this a fastner to keep the canvas tight on a tent in high winds, to keep a bag closed, or to fasten a coat? I've never lost any limbs this way, and as I said it was the way Hensons did it (which doesn't mean it is the best, but you can be assured that it will work well) for arms, legs and tails on the Fraggles (taken from the guide to fraggle floorwork).

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Ah, that's right you managed to read a copy of that (The Guide to Fraggle Floorwork), didn't you?

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Yes, it's a friends. Can't photocopy it, so flick through it every now and again when I'm over at his. Just happened to be the day the whole arm attaching issue came up.