Ask Ken at Palisades

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
That is SO weird. I was watching the EXACT same episode that you were, with the musket hand-gun that he first blasts lettuce with, then the brussel sprouts, with cut aways to Stat and Waldy. W-E-I-R-D. And, I was KICKING myself for not having a gun in the playset. But it's too late for that unfortunately.

Hey...what would you think of a clarinet? Too off-beat? I thought of it because I know of a few people who started on clarinet and moved to sax...myself included, back in the day. Or even a bass clarinet, that is similar to the sax as far as how you hold it.

Ken

BEAKER128

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, Zoot never played a clarinet or any other type of sax on the show. He DID play the flute, once, in the Helen Reddy episode.

-David

Drtooth

Reaction score
Zoot plays the sax at the end of every episode. It's in the end credits!

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Umm...I know. It was an idea for a variant. Just like Floyd having two different guitars, one bass and one regular, even though he clearly plays bass.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Ken

I like the idea of getting some more instruments in the series. Since Zoot did play the flute in an episode, could we have a flute? or would a flute be too plain at that size (just look like a little stick)? A clarinet would be cool. I know we haven't seen Zoot play one, but the Mayhem stage set isn't an exact duplicate of their set from the show either.

I don't think the line would be as much fun for you to make or for us if it were just carbon copies of the show. I do think some things need to stay pretty close to the original (the Swine Trek, the look of the characters) but taking some liberties is fun. No one has ever said Zoot can't play the clarinet. And we're talking about a variant here, the regular Zoot will have a sax so I vote for something different for variant Zoot. Kermit didn't hang around with a TV camera on the show either, but it will be fun to have the camera.

Joggy

Reaction score
Zoot and clarinet

Zoot played the clarinet in the episode guest starring Teresa Brewer, in a Dixieland band (Floyd played banjo, Janice played trumpet, and there was another female trumpetist). Teresa sang "Old Cotton Fields Back Home" with this band on a steamboat (Fozzie was at the helm).

Zoot looked quite cool playing that thing - what I really liked is that the clarinet wasn't stuck to his mouth (what they sometimes to with Muppet trumpetists) and puppeteer Dave Goelz still didn't hold the clarinet in his left hand - it was actually pointing forward.

So yes, a clarinet would be an option. But I still think we need a trumpet player (Gonzo maybe?)

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Re: Electric Mayhem playset

Hey Ken,

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier, but I love the Electric Mayhem playset! After seeing it, I don't mind that it doesn't look like the one from the show. One thing I'd like to ask about it though: what's the color scheme going to be for it? I originally was picturing the base having a sort of gold-brown color, but black would probably be more appropriate for a band stage, esp. their band stage. Also, on the show their bandstand was black (not that it makes any difference). Great work, keep it up.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

matleo

Reaction score
to further answer the "can Zoot play clarinet?" quesiton, he also played one in Muppet Christmas Carol. Too bad abot Chef's gun maybe of down the line there is a Chef variant. Who knows?

--Matt

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ken

I say go for it! As a few people have expressed some disappointment of the "new" exclusives, I think making a bit of a leap in these versions like this one with Zoot will make them even more worthwhile! I'd also change his hat to the little cap he wears now. I'd have to find a picture of it, but I think it would be a cool addition to the other Zoot. I think you should go as creative as you are able with these Electric Mayhem character exclusives! BTW - just saw the packaging for the exclusive Dr Teeth - very cool! I really hope he is offered on your site! He kind of completes the EM variant set.