Ask Ken at Palisades

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Pizza Twins rock! Great idea Zack.

It's not that I don't like the Muppet Babies puppets. I just think this is the original Muppets' chance to shine. For about a decade (for whatever reason a fan subscribes) the Muppet Babies dominated the Muppet products.

I am all for their inclusion here, but as a small part of TMTM. I wouldn't want them upstaging the rest of the series or have a playset. Heck, I'd buy it anyway, but likely cringe when forking over the cash. A few pack-ins or something would be nice though. I just think there are so many better ideas for playsets.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
I agree with Jamie on this one-- I'd buy a Muppet Babies playset because I'm gunna buy (at least) one of everything in the Palisades Muppet line, but I wouldn't be happy about it. There are so many better options for playsets-- things that have more play value as far as including the other figures. I'd rather see playsets for Happiness Hotel, the MFS Space ship, the research lab, the diner, backstage... And I'd much rather see figures for interesting looking Muppets like Uncle Deadly or even another Kermit variant (I'd love to see Hollywood Kermit from MTM) than a baby Piggy figure. I know the Muppet Babies were really popular, but they really were done for kids and this line is aimed more at adult collectors.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Wondering what Luke would say :smile:
I think he'd agree with you totally your Jamieness, but Muppet Babies might well be a good themed PVC set along the line.

Gonzo

Reaction score
mmmmmm...PVCs!

Great solution to both the Under-5 Problem and the issue of devoting figures/playsets to the MB.

That's Luke for you--bringing people together.

Quinnnnnnnnn

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
We don't really have to have Muppet Babies, do we? Cause, if Palisades makes them, I'll have to buy them, and I just don't want them because they don't fit into the chronology of the Muppets' story, so...

I'd rather have extra chickens, pigs, and rats myself.

Oh, and penguins. lots of penguins. Something that can't be destroyed by firecrackers so I can blow my penguins up.

FOZ

Luke

Reaction score
I guess we could do it like the Senate, all those in favor of Muppet Babies PVC's say 'Aye' and all those against say 'Naye'. Then Ken can pass the motion (Vindaloo anyone ?) and woe betide anyone who gets caught in the Oval office with their trousers down ! :big_grin:

Even though i'm not a big Muppet Babies fan it was just about the only thing 'Muppet' on TV during quite a few years of my childhood and i'm sure there are plenty of 'Babies' fans who aren't neccasarily into the classic Muppets and would love a nostalgia kick, also plenty of people comment that the Babies part of MTM was quite interesting and it'd probably provide something different to the PVC line and might even get some new people into the Palisades products. It could be something to think about for the future seeing as Palisades has the rights but i'd like to see the more important stuff that fans are hungry for done first, especially those gratuitous Penguins !!! :stick_out_tongue:

Squigiman

Reaction score
Hey,
While on the topic of the rights of certain Henson properties, are there any current or pending negotiations to get the rights to characters from the Jim Henson Hour? I know it's/they're not nearly as well known as the main crew, mostly due to its short life-span, I'm guessing, but there sure were a lot of cool and interesting characters, such as Digit, Leon, Bean, Clifford, and even Waldo. I know Clifford emerged more with the Muppets Tonight gig, and Bean's stayed at least fairly present, but unfortunately the others haven't really taken there place in the Muppet mainstay. I suppose it's due to the limited chief performers, especially after the untimely deaths of Richard and Jim. Still, I think they'd make some great figures, eh?
Also, as far as the Muppet Babies, themselves, I think they're treated way too harshly. Sure, maybe a big part of why the Muppets are, in general, looked on as "kiddie fare", but I still think that, for what it was, it was great. It may have been aimed towards younger audiences, but it, too, had some great stuff that would go right over the heads of most little kids. If you want to see a babyfied cartoon of a major entertainment enterprise, check out "Baby Looney Tunes". That's more of a dumbing down of something great than the Muppet Babies ever were.
Remember, this was not just some executive just taken Jim's creations and ruining them. He was actively involved in the idea, which ended up being a positive cartoon for younger kids, encouraging the use of imagination. It was quite funny, too, though obviously nowhere near the more adult-aimed, live Muppet stuff, but still, for what it was, it was good. Just thought I'd throw in a little support to this important piece of Muppet history, just as The Jim Henson Hour is, as it was the last television series featuring the core Muppet group, while Jim was still alive. As an aside, anyone who has any full episodes, could you please let me know, as I really miss this forgotten piece of Muppetty greatness. Thanks. Sorry for going off on tangents, but, as I'm sure you all know, when you're passionate about something, it brings out a lot more to say in you than you originally intended. Take care.

-Squigiman

Lew Zealand

Reaction score
Muppet Babies etc.

Personally I would love to see the MTM Muppet Babies made. They were the reason the cartoon was made (weren't they?). I think it would be neat to get 2 characters on card with an accessory. I agree that a playset might be too much. I'd like to see the Newsroom, Vet's Hospital etc made.

On a side note, I think it would be sweet to see some penguins, chickens, rats, etc carded. Maybe a 2-3 pack of penguins, and then 3-4 chickens, and 4-5 rats. That would be very cool but I don't think they would be a major sell for people who aren't die-hards. I'd buy them, but can Palisades justify the work they need to make these figures if they have a low selling possibility? Maybe these extra critters could come with the stage set, or something.

By the way, I have seen PVCs that have been very poorly made. I am a bit leary of Muppet PVCs but because of the quality of what Palisades has done thus far I am starting to look forward to this line.

Will they be available from the same stores as the other Muppet lines?

Can we see a sample picture of any of the PVC characters so we can get an idea of how they will appear?