Are there Season 1 shows floating around?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't understand that either. All it does is muddy the waters if one is doing a search on You Tube for a specific thing. You get all kinds of "hits" and a bunch of them end up being the exact same post of the same thing duplicated. I don't undertstand the reasoning behind that.
In specific circumstances, those (for lack of a better term) dehancements are added in as a temporary stop gap to avoid Youtube's deletion bots. I've seen everything from speed ups, slow downs, horizontally flipped visuals, pitch shifts, to worst of all, someone randomly splicing in baby movie footage in a Tom and Jerry cartoon. Somehow, it's not much better than not having these uploaded, and you're better off going off site for unaltered clips. Flipping horizontally I can deal with. Spinning pictures and random edits, not so much.

prickle747

Reaction score
I have been away from the forum for sometime and discovered these have surfaced from a hidden source. someone who worked or use to work for ctw? this is great, these early episodes are the holy grail if your a fan. I hope I can obtain these in due time.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I think it's time we gave this thread a bump. Why, you may ask.

More rare episodes just came about. 7 more episodes from Season 1, 5 from Season 10, and at least one from Season 12. Don't believe me?

Hopefully, more clips from these episodes will make their way to YouTube soon.

zns

Reaction score
I would love to see someone post the full episodes on YouTube if they can. They just posted the full episodes for 0002 and 0003.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think I know how these season 1, 10, and 12 episodes have surfaced, though I am hesitant to offer my theory, in case the source for the tapes was supposed to be secret (especially if what I'm right about what I suspect).

I can pretty much figure out some of the season 10 and 12 episodes, based on the fact that Muppet Wiki has the episodes redlinked on the season 10 and 12 pages as well as those redlinked episodes being listed as EKAs elsewhere. It's harder to determine what first season episodes have been obtained, since the wiki has had guides for all 130 first season episodes for years (so there won't be any redlinks for those), though I can figure out some based on newly-added pictures from the first season (I think episode 15 is one of them, as I've seen a few new pictures from a few segments that appeared in that episode).

Even though not all of those episodes have guides at Muppet Wiki, it is great to see so many rare segments, either online or in pictures. I've seen images from quite a few first season segments that I've been really curious about after hearing about for a long time. And now we can watch The Count at Charlie's Restaurant, and an English Leslie Mostly segment... At this rate, we're closer to getting everything from the show!

I also saw a season 10 episode number listed for the Monsterpiece Theater episode "Upstairs, Downstairs". The Alistair Cookie plush had confirmed that "Upstairs, Downstairs" debuted in season 10 and was the first Monsterpiece Theater segment, and I think many of us didn't believe it (it does look like it could have been from season 10, 11, or 12). I think what threw many of us off was the fact that this one had the Monsterpiece Theater title card while "Me, Claudias" doesn't, and that one's known to be from season 11.It also doesn't help that both segments have different library settings from each other and the remaining segments (and the set in "Upstairs, Downstairs" looks closer to the one used in the majority of Monsterpiece Theater segments). So it's good to see a season 10 EKA for that segment.

I also saw that "Big Hello 1-20" appears at the beginning of episode 1447 (it's the second season premiere, but this looks like it would have been a better way to open the first episode of the season). The clip as it appears on Old School Vol. 3 opens with a bit of silence, I wonder if the Sesame Street theme was playing there and cut for the release.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had trouble deciding on whether to do this here or start a separate thread, but I'd like to post thoughts on many of the first season segments that have just recently surfaced. Back in 2007 Muppet Wiki added scans of the first season show content to muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:_University_of_Maryland and there were a lot of titles I was really curious about (and some I saw but didn't think too much about that ended up being good or great). Seems like the majority of stuff mentioned in this document can now be seen (but it doesn't list every street scene, so there is still a lot we don't even know about), but there are rarities from the first seasons till yet to surface, like the full version of the original "Rubber Duckie", a segment listed as "Ernie makes a friend" (considering its listed under "body parts", it wouldn't surprise me if this one involved Ernie decorating an Anything Muppet), a performance of The People in Your Neighborhood (with a carpenter and bus driver, which was later remade), a couple of segments that actually list Grover by name (and just last week I noticed that both appear in episode 125, makes me wonder if they were part of a plot), a number of claymation segments, and some segments that can only be seen in other languages.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
This one was more impressive than I had expected. I thought it would just be the Anything Muppets in front of a plain-colored background, and a black and white picture seemed to support that theory (since it didn't show the impressive visuals and I didn't even notice the background being black), so this was really impressive and funny.

Penelope Pickerpot (spelling might be wrong)
This one is short and funny, but maybe not good enough to be shown too much. Interestingly, I couldn't find any segments listed in the first season show content that could be this segment (I especially looked under pages for S, P, Social Interactions, and What's Wrong Here, but as far as I know it wasn't listed). Weird that a segment that did not take place on the street wouldn't be listed.

Chickery Chick
This is one I'd been wanting to see for a long time. I wasn't expecting it to also have Bob, as the listings only mentioned Big Bird, but it feels more like a duet as opposed to a Big Bird song with Bob being there. Until a page was created at Muppet Wiki recently I had no idea that the song wasn't written for Sesame Street. I'm not surprised, but I guess I didn't think to search for the song on wikipedia, google, or YouTube to see if the song was pre-existing.

Ernie and Bert's long and short milk
This is one I was really interested in seeing. I assumed it was the skit shown in "The Sesame Street Book of Puzzlers" where Ernie is upside-down on the ceiling and manages to pour a glass of milk despite being upside-down, but it's not (and I can't find anything else in the first season show content that it could be, though not every Ernie and Bert segment is listed as an Ernie and Bert segment, and as I said I can't seem to find the Penelope whatever segment there.

This segment is interesting, though it also is quite odd. Ernie drinks from a tiny cup of milk for a really long time, then when Bert doesn't believe he was really drinking for that long Ernie proves it for pouring for a really long time. It's intercut with a few segments, though I feel like it didn't need to be split into four segments (maybe two). While the first season show content lists what segments are shown between the four parts, I feel like Marvelous Martha is the only one that really needed to be noted (part 1 could have easily been followed by any segment about 8, part 3 could have been followed by any counting segment). The document does have "RE-DO" written by it, I wonder if this actually was redone (very few of the segments with "RE-DO" instructions are known by us to have been remade, though "RE-DO" is written by "Up and Down" which I know was redone, and while it's not online yet I think the episode with it has surfaced).

Ernie Skips
This is how it's listed in the document, but the title refers more to the punchline (I know, the titles don't appear on-screen and were never intended for public viewing), but it very well could have had a title like "E&B Dish Washing Weeks Bit". It's a funny ending, but the skit isn't a very strong one.

The Boy, the Girl, and the Jellybean
This one was good, maybe not as great as I was expecting. I read the book version and didn't remember all the emotions (I was thinking that the boy and girl kept tricking each other before deciding to cooperate). I wonder who performed Beautiful Day Monster here (it barely sounds like any Caroll Spinney voice I can think of, though I don't think it's unlikely there's more voices he can do that I don't know).

All Together Now
This one is also a little weird. At the beginning, the parents try to sing "We Belong Together" (was this a pre-existing song?) while the girl, for no reason, sings "All Together Now" while they sing, and eventually the parents decide to sing the song, without warning the daughter at first, and she seems to expect it right away (previously, she started singing her song shortly after they started, and when they change songs, they all sing together at the start).

Ernie's X-ident
This sketch is simple, but I like the accident pun Ernie provides in this one.

Buzzing B
Another weird Ernie and Bert segment (seems like a lot of the really weird Ernie and Bert skits came this season), with a B flying around like a B, but I like it. This would have fit in well on The Muppet Show, if TMS was an educational show (for all ages).

Kermit's F Lecture
This one is similar to Kermit's lectures on the letters W, B, and R, only this time the monster featured is Beautiful Day Monster, and he alters/destroys the letter differently than how Cookie Monster did. They didn't really need a monster for this, they could have easily just had an AM construction worker (though I think he would have needed live hands and I don't think any of the AMs had live hands in the first season). While this is more about the letter F, it's shown as an E more, and then it ends right when the E becomes an F. I'm surprised that the show content lists it as "Kermit F Bit" instead of "Kermit E-F Bit" like other segments that involve multiple letters (like "Muppet TV A-B Repair Bit", "Ernie and Salesman U-V", "Muppet R-P Tag", "Muppet R-P Smash", and others).

Before and After
The Anything Muppets refer to this as "Silly Song Time", but I don't see (hear?) anything funny about the lyrics. But the actions are funny, with Buddy doing some demonstrations during the song. The first season show content had "RE-DO" intructions for this because of Buddy (it actually listed Buddy and Jim though Jim isn't in it), I don't think the whole song would need to be redone (I wonder if they replaced Buddy's parts with Wally or Ralph, I couldn't see Larry or Phyllis being featured for that). For the past decade I've been wondering how hats stay on Muppets, as many look like they couldn't stay on too well without something sticking on them, and in this the pumpkin AM's hat seems to barely stay on, flying to the sides as if it's sewn on, then we stop seeing it as if it had fallen off (or maybe it's hanging behind his head).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
All Together Now
This one is also a little weird. At the beginning, the parents try to sing "We Belong Together" (was this a pre-existing song?) while the girl, for no reason, sings "All Together Now" while they sing, and eventually the parents decide to sing the song, without warning the daughter at first, and she seems to expect it right away (previously, she started singing her song shortly after they started, and when they change songs, they all sing together at the start).
"We Belong Together" is from Music in the Air, a Hammerstein musical. I didn't realize it wasn't a Sesame original until just looking it up.

Clearly, the bit is going off the classic Jim routine of "hip character doesn't do what the square ones do." The song the parents are singing is dull compared to the Beatles, so the little girl would rather sing that. And them all doing it is just a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" thing.

JLG

Reaction score
Isn't it just incredible, really? As much as these leaks are only tips of a huge iceberg, they're beyond anything we could have imagined fifteen or even ten years ago. Noggin, the YouTube revolution, the DVDs, the leaks-----we're a long, long way from the late '90s when those of us who took an interest in this show's history had to deal with knowing that most of this stuff was simply a big question mark, and we couldn't foresee any realistic way of changing that.

Does anyone know who the narrator is in that David-as-postman skit? It's the same guy who narrated that "cooperation" segment with Susan, Gordon and Mr. Hooper. Probably others I haven't seen, too.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Clearly, the bit is going off the classic Jim routine of "hip character doesn't do what the square ones do." The song the parents are singing is dull compared to the Beatles, so the little girl would rather sing that. And them all doing it is just a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" thing.
You have a point, but I feel like this is a weak attempt at that compared to what the Muppets did on variety shows. The girl appears to be as square as her parents (maybe they made her that way) and this particular performance of the song is kinda dull for a performance of a Beatles song.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
You have a point, but I feel like this is a weak attempt at that compared to what the Muppets did on variety shows. The girl appears to be as square as her parents (maybe they made her that way) and this particular performance of the song is kinda dull for a performance of a Beatles song.
Chalk that up to first-season wonkiness.