April Fools: Sesame Street Film Still Happening!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, an article at The Hollywood Reporter mentions that the Sesame Street movie announced in 2012 is still happening. Back then it was announced by 20th Century Fox while the company was still in negotiations with Sesame Workshop, which took awhile, and now a couple of drafts of the script have been announced.

According to the article, the movie will tentatively be titled "Saving Sesame Street". The plot will involve Sesame Street being in danger of being torn down and replaced with a cookie factory. With this in mind, Cookie Monster is the only one not distraught by the news. After the cast talks with the mayor, they learn that the mayor only allowed it because he doesn't think that Sesame Street has any educational value, but makes a deal: If they can prove that Sesame Street has educational value before the construction starts, he'll cancel the construction.

Filming will begin in Fall 2015. 20th Century Fox hopes to get it out in early Summer 2016. According to the article, the movie will be nostaglia-heavy as well. It will be an ensemble piece, with Big Bird, Oscar, Ernie, Bert, Cookie Monster, Grover, and The Count having the main roles. Characters like Elmo, Abby, Zoe, and Murray will be in it, but their parts will be fairly small. Many old-school characters will be featured, and the current draft of the script reportedly specifically mentions appearances by such characters as Herry Monster, The Amazing Mumford, Biff and Sully, Forgetful Jones and friends, Sherlock Hemlock, and Simon Soundman. Sesame Workshop and 20th Century Fox are even in negotiations with Disney to allow a Kermit the Frog cameo.

The article features this funny quote: "Will Sesame Street be saved? Will Cookie Monster learn that his friends and their homes are more important than cookies? Will this film do better than the previous two Sesame Street films?" Well... (and I think you knew this was coming)

APRIL FOOLS!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I kind of new it was an April Fool's joke. But it's definitely a good thought especially with how popular CM has been these days.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had debated over whether to have the news be about the Sesame Street movie that was announced, or if it would be about a new Muppet movie. Had these in mind for almost a year. A few weeks ago, I also considered doing a report on the Fraggle Rock movie, saying that Michael Bay would be involved, but then we got actual news about the movie, with Joseph Gordon Levitt being attached to produce and star, so that killed that prank.

I might make a fan fic based on what I wrote here about "Saving Sesame Street".

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
I agree with Daffy- considering how much popularity our favorite shaggy blue-furred monster with a voracious appetite has been facing at this point in time, he absolutely does deserve a movie like that!

Few questions...would Snuffy (as well as Prairie Dawn) at least be involved with those who have a main role? Would Telly be involved with those who play a fairly small role? Or would I have to wait for the fan fic, if it happens?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
The fan fic is a good idea, Minor Muppetz. Plus I haven't seen much more of your Sesame 2.0s lately. Are any of those still in development?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Few questions...would Snuffy (as well as Prairie Dawn) at least be involved with those who have a main role? Would Telly be involved with those who play a fairly small role? Or would I have to wait for the fan fic, if it happens?
I would think so. I haven't thought up much for my fan fic beyond what's said in this April fools joke.

The fan fic is a good idea, Minor Muppetz. Plus I haven't seen much more of your Sesame 2.0s lately. Are any of those still in development?
Not sure. I haven't done a new Sesame Street 2.0 in a few years, but you should never say never. I did think up a, idea recently that would work for Sesame Street 2.0, but I actually forgot what the basic idea was.

There's a few things that I was going to say in the "article", but wasn't sure how likely those things would be mentioned in an article like this at this point in "development" (keep in mind that just because I considered it doesn't mean that it will apply to my eventual fan fic):
  • I was going to say that Elmo, Abby, Zoe, Rosita, Murray, and Baby Bear's parts would be slightly bigger than Rizzo and Pepe's in the last two Muppet movies, with Elmo having the biggest part out of all of them (regardless of how "retro" they want the movie to be, I doubt 20th Century Fox would want a real lack of Elmo).
  • The movie would open with a brand-new "Word on the Street", involving the word "movie" (I doubt I'll open my fan fic with this, as it wouldn't be a movie).
  • I would have said that this movie would show that Cookie Monster doesn't actually live on Sesame Street, or at least not the part that would be torn down. The film would reveal that his home is actually on a connecting street right next to where it turns to Sesame.
  • As with the last two movies, this one would have a more realistic-looking Sesame Street set.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
Here's a plot big bird, Bert and Ernie, grover Oscar the count cookie and elmo going across the country to tell the president of the usa to stop sesame street from being turned into a shopping mall

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
  • I would have said that this movie would show that Cookie Monster doesn't actually live on Sesame Street, or at least not the part that would be torn down. The film would reveal that his home is actually on a connecting street right next to where it turns to Sesame.
That would be cool. I always thought CM lived in the 123 Sesame Street apartment with the rest of the gang. It's the Count's residence that always confused me though, since they say he lives in Transylvania. Yet he's close enough to SS to make regular visits there.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I hope to get started on writing my fan fic based on this either this week or next, but I must say that although my fan fic most likely won't include everything mentioned in the "press release", one thing I'm thinking about is the fact that I had it say that it reveals that Cookie Monster's home is not actually on Sesame Street but right next to it. It's been announced today that next season Cookie Monster will start living above Hooper's Store, which makes me wonder if I should have it mentioned that Cookie doesn't live on Sesame Street (or at least the part of Sesame Street being torn down) or not.

Decisions, decisions...