Anyone Seen "The Simpons Movie" yet?

travellingpat

Reaction score
It was alright I think it could have been a lot better, but some parts were very funny

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
What? Make DVD extras for a theatrical film before the actual film comes out?

This seems to be a common practice nowadays. Oftentimes a cast and/or crew will record a commentary as soon as a film is finished, while it's still fresh in their minds.

Some directors, such as Robert Rodriguez and Kevin Smith, shoot material specifically for a DVD while they're on the set of their movies.
Oh, misunderstood the question, heh. I thought he was saying that they relised the movie on video before it was in theaters. But you never know these days?

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Oh, misunderstood the question, heh. I thought he was saying that they relised the movie on video before it was in theaters. But you never know these days?
William, it would not surprise me in the least if a day comes when a brand new feature is available on DVD the same day it opens in theatres.

Some On Demand/Pay Per View services are kinda doing something similar with IFC On Demand. With just a push of a button on your remote, you can watch a new independent film that's currently playing in theatres. Of course these aren't Hollywood blockbusters, and probably play in a handful of theatres, but still...you can watch a new film before it even hits DVD. And it costs about a dollar or two more than a regular Pay Per View movie.

I've also noticed that the film The Astronaut Farmer premiered on Pay Per View the same day it came out on DVD. This may be a new trend as well...

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I had no idea that movies came out on DVD before they did paper view. I guess just never really paid attention. They did that for Elmo in grouchland, but that was for kinds who might now be able to see it at the movies and who did get a chance too.

But studios are so money hungry that you never really know what to expect.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I've also noticed that the film The Astronaut Farmer premiered on Pay Per View the same day it came out on DVD. This may be a new trend as well...
Oooh, I so want to see that movie. *random fact*

Ok so...I'm debateing between seeing Simpson's Movie, or Bourne Ultimatum...it has to be one or the other. Any thoughts?

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Oooh, I so want to see that movie. *random fact*

Ok so...I'm debateing between seeing Simpson's Movie, or Bourne Ultimatum...it has to be one or the other. Any thoughts?
Sorry, I can't really help you there, Beau.

I saw the Simpsons and LOVED it! On the other hand, I'm a Bourne fan. I've read the three original novels by Robert Ludlum (haven't gotten to the one or two others written by someone else after Ludlum's death), and really enjoyed the first two Bourne films. I really want to see Ultimatum myself.

Put it this way: if you love The Simpsons, and have been waiting to see the movie, you should definitely see it on the big screen. It's an event movie where you feel as if you're one with the crowd. When I saw it, everyone laughed, cheered and applauded throughout. You could tell the real die-hard fans by the ones who chuckled at the most obscure reference or in-joke from the series.

Yet there's nothing like seeing a good action movie (especially the Bourne series) on the big screen, so....aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh! I don't know!:zany:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
I had no idea that movies came out on DVD before they did paper view. I guess just never really paid attention. They did that for Elmo in grouchland, but that was for kinds who might now be able to see it at the movies and who did get a chance too.

But studios are so money hungry that you never really know what to expect.
The chain (usually) goes like this:

Theater
DVD
Pay Per View
Cable (HBO, etc.)
(sometimes) Network TV
Basic cable (TBS, etc.)

Also, in the past, one usually had to wait six months for a theatrical film to come out on video. Now it's what? Two to four months? Films seem to get onto PPV and cable quicker these days as well.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
...but as I said, it was weird seeing The Astronaut Farmer premiere on PPV the exact same day it came out on DVD...

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Oh thanks! But yeah! I noticed that things get released on cable much quicker these days. It's interesting how movies get released quicker on DVD now days. Is it just faster to put things on DVD the is is VHS or something because it seems like it should be.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Oh thanks! But yeah! I noticed that things get released on cable much quicker these days. It's interesting how movies get released quicker on DVD now days. Is it just faster to put things on DVD the is is VHS or something because it seems like it should be.
I read somewhere that DVDs are actually cheaper to manufacture than video cassettes.

BTW, whenever I look at your current avvy, I don't know why, but I have a strange thirst for Hawaiian Punch for some reason...can't put my finger on it, but it's weird!