Antron Fleece Dye Methods?

Phantom

Reaction score
Buck up, little Buckaroo. Make the best of what the good Lord gives you and keep chasing that rainbow. And someday, you may have a ranch of your own, with cattle and clear running streams. Shoot, I even bet old Sparky here will be there, too...Now, get the shovel...

:stick_out_tongue:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Thanks. I mean, I'm not THAT depressed over not being able to dye polyester, but thanks for the good cheer! :smile:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I received some antron fleece samples from the US in the post yesterday and I can see what all the rave is about. Before I order some I want to know how to dye it and what dye to use, where to get it etc. is the dye easy to get?

Would appreciate any help from anyone!

Once I know all that and sharpen up my skills with the cheaper fabric I have I will order some.

Phantom

Reaction score
RIT dye works well with Antron. I used half of a pack of RIT purple dye on my newest puppet and the color is great.

But the absolute best-est (which is really good) is Jacquard Acid Dyes...the color is phenominal. I have a Salmon and Pumpkin colors and I can get anywhere from a pale peach to orange by varying the amounts. (By mistake, I even got red. ) Check it out.

One suggestion: Keep good notes on your dying (times, amounts, etc.) It helps for repeatibility.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
So do you just follow the instructions on the pack and mix it in with water in a tub and move the fabric around or something? Does anythng else need to be applied other than the dye, like a fixer or something?

Phantom

Reaction score
I've never applied a fixer and I use it in the washing machine.

I mix the dye bath on the stove as instucted then add it my washing machine (set on lowest level, hottest h2o, gentle cycle) and mix it up really good. I then add my fleece. I let the cycle run for about 3 minutes, stop it for 6 more, then let it finish. I air dry the fleece.

It works well for me.

I tried RIT on the stove top, but my vat was too small or something. I got a little uneven color in spots and the shade varied a little from beginning to end. (I cut my fabric in to 3 large pieces for head/neck, body, everything else (arms, ears, nose..)) It was pretty, but not what I was after.

The acid dye is easier. You just add it to the h2o, add vinegar as instructed, mix well and add fabric. I don't remember specifically how I time the cycle, but I have it written down. (i.e. keep good notes)

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
That sounds interesting, thanks for the tips. Wouldnt that ruin your washing machine or atleast the clothes put into it afterwards? or is that a special washing machine just used for dying? or does the dye leave the washing machine afterwards? Also, I would have thought dying the fleece on the stovetop would have melted it or something.

Phantom

Reaction score
RIT says to immediately rinse the washer with hot water and bleach. I fill-er-up add bleach and run through the short cycle. Pretty easy.

I don't know what the melting point of Antron is, but the h2o temp on the stove is around 190 F. (almost boiling)

I've only been building for 2 years, I may not be the best to answer. I would like to see what the "veteran" builders have to say.

shua

Reaction score
Colors

Does anybody have a chart of colors for RIT dyes to make non-standard colors?

ie. Beaker's Face color? 2 parts xxxx 1 part xxx? or is it all trial and error?

Thanks

Anoobus