Another Movie remake of the Grinch... really?

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Funny, I enjoyed The Lorax more the second time I watched it. Mostly because the first time around I was telling myself to hate it, and ended up liking it :stick_out_tongue: You gotta admit, that animation style is perfect for Dr Seuss.
Yeah, the animation on Lorax was wonderful. I certainly hope that carries on to The Grinch.

I didn't mind the Grinch when it was first released, but as I've gotten older, I've gotten more and more indifferent of it. It's not a HORRIBLE movie, but it's not really enjoyable.
To be fair, I probably wouldn't still be watching it if I hadn't really, really liked it as a kid. I like to tell people that Christmas makes us all more likely to accept "nostalgic blindness." I was right at the target age when it came out to cinemas and when it got to video, so it got me at just the right time.

The Cat in the Hat should not even exist. That is all.
You know what annoys me the most about that movie? I had to pay $5 for a DVD of it last year, so I could make that review. And now it's on YouTube... three times.

There's one to watch, if you absolutely hate yourself enough.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
I'm practically the only person on this planet who actually LIKED The Cat in the Hat.
Personally, I don't think it could've possibly been a worse adaptation of the book. I still consider it amoung one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

But hey, if you like it, all power to you. To each their own. Barney-boy over here won't be the one to judge you. :smile:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
*cough*punkisnotemo*cough*

My issue with The Cat in the Hat was how gross it was. Like...needlessly gross. And I've talked to a number of people who have said that. I think the movie had potential, but it was executed all wrong. It seemed as though Mike Meyers was forcing himself to try to be funny. I realize it's not entirely his fault since he didn't write the jokes, but it seemed like too much for even him.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
*cough*punkisnotemo*cough*

My issue with The Cat in the Hat was how gross it was. Like...needlessly gross. And I've talked to a number of people who have said that. I think the movie had potential, but it was executed all wrong. It seemed as though Mike Meyers was forcing himself to try to be funny. I realize it's not entirely his fault since he didn't write the jokes, but it seemed like too much for even him.
I can't imagine how you would make a ninty-minute movie based on The Cat in the Hat and make it enjoyable. Heck, I was asking myself that before it even came out. But given to the right people, I suppose it might work. Anything's better than that thing. :grouchy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I didn't mind the Grinch when it was first released, but as I've gotten older, I've gotten more and more indifferent of it. It's not a HORRIBLE movie, but it's not really enjoyable.
If you can tolerate Jim Carrey, you can tolerate the movie. I did like him when I first saw the film, so I was able to dig it. ABC and ABC family just about force it to be an annual tradition. Let's face it, there are so few good Christmas movies out there.

Horton...eh. Again, I'm indifferent. I really hate Jojo. I thought he was just thrown in there so that self proclaimed emos would have someone to identify with and to make the movie more edgy. That faux anime thing they did was mind numbing.
Those both sound like something the studio threw in there to be relevant. As you noticed, they still forced that tired "Old guy talking rap unsuccessfully to get young kid to understand him" joke. They played that for...laughs I guess. Those other references were played straight, sadly. Though the anime section did have some beautiful 2-d animation. And clearly done by someone who's never actually seen more than 3 minutes of Dragon Ball Z at a nephew's house.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
ABC and ABC family just about force it to be an annual tradition.
Not in my house, lol.

Though I would like to see the stage version they do at Madison Square Garden; that looked half way decent.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I can't imagine how you would make a ninty-minute movie based on The Cat in the Hat and make it enjoyable. Heck, I was asking myself that before it even came out. But given to the right people, I suppose it might work. Anything's better than that thing. :grouchy:
Like I said before... why do they bother making 90 minute movies off of kid's books? There's barely enough story for a half hour cartoon, and some of the stuff they have to add to pad the story out either sort of works in the context of alternate character interpretation or falls flat for trying to make the story in their own image. Like I said, it's bad enough that most novels have to be completely worked around to get them to film. At least there's room enough to borrow concepts and throw out pointless subplots that drag on and ruin a film's pacing.

Cat in the Hat has barely that much story. Just a Cat playing with kids and making a mess out of the house. Looks like they went for crappy sketch comedy for the movie to pad the thing out. And back-stories of characters that weren't even mentioned in the book. I agree... there's a huge chance it was going to end up screwed up anyway. It killed Mike Myer's career, that's for sure.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
My friend liked it OK but I literally wanted to walk out of the theater, I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I know I said it before, but it's my friend's favorite movie. I agreed to watch it with her, forgetting just how awful it was. I do believe I lost several IQ points from watching it :stick_out_tongue:

But hey, if you like it, more power to you.