Animation Academy Awards Announced

Kye

Reaction score
Shrek beat Monsters Inc. not because it was better but because it was kinda close. I think that the Acadamy Uses Disney as the Standard. Anything that comes close enough to touch it could win.
I have seen Everything but Spirited Away. I liked Ice Age...but it came out too close to Monsters and shrek...and couldnt compete.
Lilo and Stitch and T.P were great, but I have a problem with both of them. Disney's Formula for Amazingly sucsessful Animated films always has more songs, sung by the actual characters(Mermaid, B&B,Aladdin,lion king, ect) with the exception of toy stories. WHY Have they strayed!!!
AnywayI would like it to Treasure Planet,but the stupid academy will give it to ICE AGE or Spirit

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by Kye
Shrek beat Monsters Inc. not because it was better but because it was kinda close. I think that the Acadamy Uses Disney as the Standard. Anything that comes close enough to touch it could win.
I have seen Everything but Spirited Away. I liked Ice Age...but it came out too close to Monsters and shrek...and couldnt compete.
Lilo and Stitch and T.P were great, but I have a problem with both of them. Disney's Formula for Amazingly sucsessful Animated films always has more songs, sung by the actual characters(Mermaid, B&B,Aladdin,lion king, ect) with the exception of toy stories. WHY Have they strayed!!!
AnywayI would like it to Treasure Planet,but the stupid academy will give it to ICE AGE or Spirit
I think Shrek took home the statuette because it was anti Disney. I think all the little barbs and stabs in the movie at Disney and Eisner amused the voters. Monsters Inc. would have won any other year, but with all the hostility that is still in the air between Eisner and Katzenburg, its no wonder that Shrek won.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Wanna know what's bad? I've not seen any of these films...

AND I'M A CARTOONIST!!

Kye

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
I think Shrek took home the statuette because it was anti Disney. I think all the little barbs and stabs in the movie at Disney and Eisner amused the voters. Monsters Inc. would have won any other year, but with all the hostility that is still in the air between Eisner and Katzenburg, its no wonder that Shrek won.
Your right! I didnt even think about that. I do feel that the animation in MI far exceeded that of shrek. But since when does the academy vote on the best... nooo, its the Academy(popularity) Awards.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Shrek got the Oscar because that movie touched the voters more than Monsters. Monsters Inc didn't go far enough to please an older audience like Shrek did. You can like that or hate it, but that's how I think it went down. It had a nice message and was irreverent. If Monsters had more edge and several more Billy Crystal one-liners, I think it could have topped Shrek. It was no contest if you go by animation alone. Pixar will always be king. And both movies were very enjoyable. That's just why I think Shrek won over the other. It also made the statment that Disney is not the only company that can release a successful animated project. The Academy likes sending messages.

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
True...very true.

And this is a new year. The more I think about it the more I think that nothing is for sure. Last year, I thought Moulin Rouge would take home more awards that it did but I was pleasantly surprised the Fellowship of the Ring almost dominated the night.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
Originally posted by frogboy4
Shrek got the Oscar because that movie touched the voters more than Monsters. Monsters Inc didn't go far enough to please an older audience like Shrek did. You can like that or hate it, but that's how I think it went down. It had a nice message and was irreverent
Well.... I can kinda go either way. Shrek was decidedly Anti-Disney satire, and it came after allegations that Disney made clothes in sweat shops (believe it or not, I don't care) and after they've relased all these trecally Princess themed "Little Mermaid did so well" type of movies.

On the other hand, Monsters Inc was far more creative, they desinged all these props and such to it the monster inhabitants. lus the inside jokes were much funnier.

I liked both Shrek and Monsters, so I was undecided about either one. i just think Jimmy Neutron was undeserved, though it was quite good...especially Carl...

But I agree... any other year, Monsters Inc would get it hands down.

At least it won for best song.