Animal! ! ! !

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Already fantastic with the potential to be the finest representation of the pig in years. The wavy hair is a nice alternative to the flat look the puppet now wears. I can't even imagine painting curls! I have found that making the hair slightly curlier at her shoulders is a pretty good method in giving her that modern yet classic look that fans like so much.

She's plump but pretty - and the ratio of facial elements is spot-on. Her eyes emote far more here than in the modern puppet. I am just so excited about this design! It's already A-grade work in my book!

Thanks for sharing this. Just wow!
As always Jamie, your comments are invaluable! Cheers mucka:smile:

Kiki

Reaction score
Ok, I'm not gonna lie, the pig is a pain in the ****. I have done several Piggys. Now BEFORE you click on the link below to see the pig remember this - she is very far from finished, think MR prototype if you will. The hair style may not stay and there are a significant number of tweaks that need to be done to the face, and whilst I welcome constructive criticism, I would like you to 'bear' (an extremely cryptic clue to the next character:wink:) this in mind.

Again, I'm only showing her at this early stage because Jamie asked and he is a stuperstar and has helped me out significantly with this project.

Ok, here goes...

Remember, early stage...

OK...:eek:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23001839@N02/3444561251/
Oh WOW. This is awesome. Seriously... it looks so perfect! :excited: Well done!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
This really is fantastic and so overwhelming! I'm just starting to learn how to paint with a Walcom tablet. Do you have any tutorials? I'd love to see your technique.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
This really is fantastic and so overwhelming! I'm just starting to learn how to paint with a Walcom tablet. Do you have any tutorials? I'd love to see your technique.
In all honesty Vic, I virtually went straight from Pens and Paint, to using a wacom so it was a very easy transition and I will hold my hands up and say I'm c**p with a mouse. The key is persistence. Alot of folks I know have tried a Wacom for a few days and given up. My best advice would be try to lose the 'mouse mentality' cos they're not the same. It really is easy when you know how. All my illustrations are done largely using just masks and the airbrush tool in photoshop.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
In all honesty Vic, I virtually went straight from Pens and Paint, to using a wacom so it was a very easy transition and I will hold my hands up and say I'm c**p with a mouse. The key is persistence. Alot of folks I know have tried a Wacom for a few days and given up. My best advice would be try to lose the 'mouse mentality' cos they're not the same. It really is easy when you know how. All my illustrations are done largely using just masks and the airbrush tool in photoshop.
I'm fairly good with a mouse and have kept with that for a while because Wacom felt foreign to me. I gave up on it in a couple minutes' time. But now my spectacular birthday gift this year (coming7 soon in the mail) is the 12.1" Wacom Cintiq. I couldn't afford the larger one, but this seems like a good comfortable start. Any thoughts on it? Is it what you use? A student at my old college recommended it to me. I always said that once Wacom made a touch screen monitor that I’d convert.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Hey Jamie! Hope all is well with you. I also have a Wacom Cintiq and have to admit that they are absolutely great BUT annoying to set-up. I have absolutely no doubt you will love it and as a way to learn how to use the Wacom I couldn't recommend it enough. You are literally looking at where you are moving the stylus so it is easier to get your head around it. That said, for my day-to-day stuff I generally just use a Wacom Intuos which I find does the trick just fine. Whens your birthday?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hey Jamie! Hope all is well with you. I also have a Wacom Cintiq and have to admit that they are absolutely great BUT annoying to set-up. I have absolutely no doubt you will love it and as a way to learn how to use the Wacom I couldn't recommend it enough. You are literally looking at where you are moving the stylus so it is easier to get your head around it. That said, for my day-to-day stuff I generally just use a Wacom Intuos which I find does the trick just fine. Whens your birthday?
My birthday was a couple weeks ago (April 4th) but it took a while to figure out the best option on the Cinitq. I'm glad to hear you use one. What in particular makes it difficult to set up? It's just an extra monitor that plugs in like a mouse right? Or are all the installation bits complicated? I'm a PC guy (actually due to cost reasons - although I always profess that it is due to my agnosticism :wink:) so it might be a different process. However, macs are supposed to be easier with most things. Can/do you use it like a regular mouse?

Reevz1977

Reaction score
My birthday was a couple weeks ago (April 4th) but it took a while to figure out the best option on the Cinitq. I'm glad to hear you use one. What in particular makes it difficult to set up? It's just an extra monitor that plugs in like a mouse right? Or are all the installation bits complicated? I'm a PC guy (actually due to cost reasons - although I always profess that it is due to my agnosticism :wink:) so it might be a different process. However, macs are supposed to be easier with most things. Can/do you use it like a regular mouse?
Many happy returns for a few weeks back. Hope all your birthday wishes came/are in the process of coming true!

My biggest mistake when I set mine up was, because I never use a mouse, I assumed I still needed to keep my Wacom Intuos set up as well. So for days I moved the stylus across the first Wacom and then onto the Cintiq - essentially using the Wacom twice. It also took some getting used to having the Photoshop palettes on a different screen.

I have absolutely no doubt you will have few problems. I'm quite a simple creature and little things REALLY confuse me! ! ! Yes you can use it as a regular mouse but I tend to stick with my Intuos, largely due to deskspace rather than anything else!

With the arguement Mac vs PC - I'm Mac all the way (again, Macs seem to cater for simpletons like myself! ! !:wink::wink:)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Many happy returns for a few weeks back. Hope all your birthday wishes came/are in the process of coming true!

My biggest mistake when I set mine up was, because I never use a mouse, I assumed I still needed to keep my Wacom Intuos set up as well. So for days I moved the stylus across the first Wacom and then onto the Cintiq - essentially using the Wacom twice. It also took some getting used to having the Photoshop palettes on a different screen.

I have absolutely no doubt you will have few problems. I'm quite a simple creature and little things REALLY confuse me! ! ! Yes you can use it as a regular mouse but I tend to stick with my Intuos, largely due to deskspace rather than anything else!

With the argument Mac vs PC - I'm Mac all the way (again, Macs seem to cater for simpletons like myself! ! !:wink:)
I have a good IT friend that will fix anything for Red Bull, graphic design services and a lot of cussing about, "What did you do to your #**@ computer?" :halo: That's the only way I can function with a PC. I just couldn't take the expense or the swift loss of support for older hardware more prevalent with Mac. I consider Mac to be the upscale, quality boutique brand and you get what you pay for...if you have the cash. I adore Macs and will likely have one again someday alongside my PC. That's always been the plan when I made the cost-cutting switch my last year of college.

Still, I'll splurge on items like the Cintiq. I just always felt clumsy on the regular Wacom. So you toggle between the Wacom and Cintiq? I've always been fairly good with the mouse, but it's really an unnatural way to digitally paint that we all got used to using. I'm excited about the Cintiq - oh and thanks for the helpful files you sent. I'm hoping to improve my skills with the newly installed Adobe CS4 and the Cintiq tablet that has just shipped! It won't interfere with the regular mouse functions will it? Or will I never want to use my mouse again afterward? :embarrassed:

Reevz1977

Reaction score
... So you toggle between the Wacom and Cintiq? I've always been fairly good with the mouse, but it's really an unnatural way to digitally paint that we all got used to using. I'm excited about the Cintiq - oh and thanks for the helpful files you sent. I'm hoping to improve my skills with the newly installed Adobe CS4 and the Cintiq tablet that has just shipped! It won't interfere with the regular mouse functions will it? Or will I never want to use my mouse again afterward? :embarrassed:
A Cintiq? Adobe CS4? Did your lotto numbers come in? ? ? We are in the middle of global credit crunch y'know:wink:

I use my Cintiq as both a display and wacom. It is a pain to use it with another screen as you need to keep switching back and forth (it's only the click of a function key but after few hundreds times it get annoying). It's great for illustration work as you are looking where you are sketching. My best piece of advice would be to read the instructions first before you start setting up. The Cintiq needs to be installed on your PC as both a display AND and a tablet otherwise you will have the same frustrations I did! :big_grin: