American Idol

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
The show could easily been an hour. The result show is usually about the right length of 30 minutes, but today it's going to be longer. Makes no sense. I wonder who's idea that was. None of these shows should be over an hour. Give all 11 people 3 minutes. Fits perfectly with time for judging. I could do without those tacky fluff pieces. They play them every week.
I think that Kelly might sing again so maybe that's why it's an hour but I'm not sure. And who else couldn't stop laughing at the clips from their new movie??? "Oh my" is all I have to say about it! :rolleyes: :big_grin: I also think it's weird that Josh has switched to a country voice...no offense to you country fans but I prefered him before. Has anyone seen the commercials for that country american idol show on another channel, like TBS or something like that.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Josh switched back to his country voice. He tried to lose some of the accent last week to suit the song he performed. When you have themed perfromances, a country twang doesn't always fit.

That film looks terrible. What the heck is it supposed to be? A new Grease? I just didn't get it. Looked silly.:stick_out_tongue:

I'm not sure if Idol is a blessing or a curse. :eek:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
They can certainly sing and play their instruments, but I have always found them irritating. They kind of have a pushy edge to them too. Just doesn't gel with me. I still don't get why they are popular. Are they really or is it just a press invention?
Yeah, they really are. Just look at their sales and charts and stuff.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Just don't know anyone who owns a Chicks album. I can see why some people would like them. Just grates on my nerves. I'm sure some of things I listened to growing up would have the same effect on you. LOL! I guess I lever liked that short little lady in the Chicks that hogs all the glory. Yeah, this stuff will blow over with most pop fans, but country fans are a different sort of stubborn. Trust me. Just a rumor that Randy Travis might be gay practically killed his career. :frown:

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
But between you and me, the US version is ... well... rigged. Have you ever seen the movie "Quiz show?" Well, it's sort of like that. One of the contestants from last season has gotten a spot on the show Boston Public (You may have the advantage of NOT having to see it there, it's such Melodramatic manipulative drivel!) as a recurring character. It's like they gave her a DEAL to lose.
Actually between you and me, LOL, the UK show was rigged too in exactly the same way so this doesn't suprise me. They had a fat contestant who loads of people voted to get into the last 10 because they felt sorry for him - of course they coin in the $$ from the premium rate phone line for that. The producers couldn't handle him once it got to the last 10 themed shows (i think you guys have 12 - we never had wildcards) as he'd look a bit awkward doing dancing and stuff like that. Anyway he appeared with a 'sore throat' that magically got worse whenever a camera light went on so he was disqualified from the show and the doctors said he might never sing again. Next thing he's got a recording contract with another major record label. In the UK media we knew it was his pay off deal and he admitted as much privately - it's Simon Fuller who created and owns the show, he's a very influential guy and i wouldn't be suprised if he'd done deals with other companies and offered things from his own in return. As you say, that show IS all about manipulating the voters - the producers always end up with whoever they want at the end. Didn't suprise me why that loud annoying Cindi girl went from the Mowtown week, the senior production team is more or less the same as the UK show and i'd have picked her as someone they wouldn't want around immediately.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's "Cyndi". LOL! She was cool. I liked her. I still don't see any evidence of "rigging" in the US versions. If anything, some rigging last year was in order because the second best candidate won.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Yeah, this stuff will blow over with most pop fans, but country fans are a different sort of stubborn. Trust me. Just a rumor that Randy Travis might be gay practically killed his career. :frown:
I am a country fan, but I'm not gonna throw out an album just cause of a remark. You can hold that against the person if ya want to, but why deprive yourself of the music you've enjoyed? And I'm not a huge Chicks fan, but I do enjoy some o' their stuff a lot.

And I think Randy Travis "takin' a break" killed his career more than anything!

And why do people spread rumors a man is gay if he marries an older woman? I heard a DJ say the same thing about Marty Stuart! Hello, it's an older WO-MAN!! lol

:rolleyes:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I agree, it's ridiculous. I don't endorse it, but it does happen. It was a stupid remark that was weasled in a European concert. I would have respected her more if she had said it in Texas. Heck, I'm from Texas and I'm ashamed that little Umpaloomp is from there too. LOL! I like her sisters, though. Think they should be single acts.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Heck, I'm from Texas and I'm ashamed that little Umpaloomp is from there too. LOL! I like her sisters, though. Think they should be single acts.
:eek:

That does it Jamie, I'm boycottin' you and throwin' out all o' your albums I own! LOL!!

:stick_out_tongue:

And Jamies, pssst---they ain't her sisters, Emily and Marti are sisters to themselves, and that's all---Natalie's a stray they picked up! Lol

Really, they had a different lead singer YEARS ago, then several years ago they got Natalie to replace her.