Ages of the five Fraggles

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
There was a thread on this over a year ago, but since I can't find it...

It's pretty obvious that Wembley is the youngest of the five Fraggles, since the others are often explaining things to him, and even among the five he's sometimes referred to as "poor little Wembley" whenever bad tidings befall him.

Mokey is probably the eldest, since she takes on the wizened, motherly role among them.

A lot of people speculate that Gobo is the 2nd oldest, but personally I think Boober is, what with his responsibilities in the Rock (cooking and laundry), his medical expertise, and his vocabulary. Or he could've just been one of those really bright kids (without being precocious, like I was when I was young).

Red is probably the 2nd youngest, though not nearly as young as Wembley. She acts like an adolescent, all ballsy and overconfident, and really immature, as evidenced by her endless competing with Gobo, her carefree way with insults, and her all-too-vocal objections to postcards from Uncle Traveling Matt (whereas a more mature, considerate person would not say anything if she couldn't say anything nice).

What do you think?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I always found it interesting how difficult it is (for me at least) to attribute age with any Muppet that doesn't downright state it (i.e Big Bird and Robin). So assuming the roles you've placed them in (which I agree with), what actual age would you place Mokey and Wembley at?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty much the same order I'd put them in. This is neat, let's see here...

Mokey is the oldest - Well, this seems superficial, but she's also the tallest. And she does seem to have a motherly quality about her. She's always patting everyone on the shoulder, too. Very touchy-feely.

Based on what you've said, that would make sense if Boober were the 2nd oldest, but I do believe it's Gobo.
Gobo - is always exploring, he knows alot about wordly things, and he's always teaching others. He's the wise one of the bunch. Like how he got Red to ask for his help when she really needed it, but was too proud to ask. He's kind of the big brother, learning himself but still helping others down the same road.

Next would come Boober, though he was hard to place.
Boober - is eccentric, doesn't really fit in, takes on responsibilities, is paranoid and odd. He seems like a middle child, as he's got pressures on all sides of him. I'd say that Gobo and Boober would be close in age, but Boober would be a little younger, as he doesn't have the same natural wisdom as Gobo does.

Red - would naturally be the second youngest. She's fun, full of spunk, loud, and has alot to learn. This makes her different from Wembley because she needs to be brought down to earth alot, where sometimes I wonder where Wembley lives. She's in between where Wembley is (being young and carefree), and Gobo (being more wise). She's getting there.

Wembley - is the baby of the lot. He's kind of got an innocent quality about him ("Wembley and the Gorgs"), and he's really free-spirited. He's alot different from the others, but of course they still love him. I mean, he's similar to Red, as he's adventurous, and goes around scatting all the time, but he's got more of an innocent quality about him, which I would interpret as being the youngest.

I always found it interesting how difficult it is (for me at least) to attribute age with any Muppet that doesn't downright state it (i.e Big Bird and Robin). So assuming the roles you've placed them in (which I agree with), what actual age would you place Mokey and Wembley at?
Ohh Vic, I just saw this. Just for fun, let's give this a try. Well for brainstorming, Mokey's probably mid-twenties, kind of like a hippie university student. ^_^ Mokey DOES come across to me as quite the hippie. She's kind of in her own class. I'd say Gobo's about 17, cause he knows his place but he's still learning, and he's pretty comfortable with who he is. That would make Boober about 16, which would explain why he's so angsty. Red would be, lets say, 14-15, because she needs to be at an age where it's appropriate for her and Gobo to be in a relationship. I'm sure they have a bit of a thing going on, as she's always competing and trying to keep up with him, but never quite makes it. If he's a few years older than her, that makes alot of sense. That would make Wembley, oh gee I don't know... 13, maybe? This is harder, as he's best friends with Gobo, but their ages can't be too far apart. I picture Wembley to be so young, as he's really carefree. But Wembley and Gobo have a sort of brotherly relationship, which would explain why they're so close, even if they have a big age differece like they way I've placed them.

So, in chart form:
Mokey - mid twenties
Gobo - 17
Boober - 16
Red - 15
Wembley - 13

luvtosr

Reaction score
I always thought it would go (eldest to youngest) Mokey, Gobo, Red, Boober Wembley.

I read somewhere that Boober is so well educated because his morbid fear of, um, everything led him to read up on pretty much everything but he still seems young to me. He spits his dummy a lot like a young kid, like in I Don't Care when he starts smashing up doozer towers, admittedly he was sort of driven to it but then there's the whole issue of him needing a lucky charm, be it bottle cap or blanket. The whole comfort blanket (or other item) idea makes him seem quite young. And there are times that he acts very selfishly in a childish way, like in The Perfect Blue Rollie when he doesn't want to share and has a secret hidey hole.

I saw a documentary where Kathy Mullen said that Mokey is the eldest, that's why she's tallest and acts like a den mother sometimes. I also don't think that there's much between Gobo and Red and that it adds to the sense of competition between them.

(Wow, when I started typing this there were no other replies!)

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
It's topics like these that I wish Karen Prell still visited here. :excited:
Hehe, yeah eh? Cross your fingers, you never know. :excited:

luvtosr said:
I read somewhere that Boober is so well educated because his morbid fear of, um, everything led him to read up on pretty much everything but he still seems young to me. He spits his dummy a lot like a young kid, like in I Don't Care when he starts smashing up doozer towers, admittedly he was sort of driven to it but then there's the whole issue of him needing a lucky charm, be it bottle cap or blanket. The whole comfort blanket (or other item) idea makes him seem quite young. And there are times that he acts very selfishly in a childish way, like in The Perfect Blue Rollie when he doesn't want to share and has a secret hidey hole.
Very cool reasoning there. Those are the same kind of reasons why I placed him in the middle, as he doesn't really want to be grown up or anything, and he feels pressure from all sides.
I saw a documentary where Kathy Mullen said that Mokey is the eldest, that's why she's tallest and acts like a den mother sometimes. I also don't think that there's much between Gobo and Red and that it adds to the sense of competition between them.
That bit about Mokey, it's so true. She does act very motherly.
That's cool, I placed Gobo and Red two years apart for the same reasons you placed them in a row! It would led itseft to competition, and Red would want to keep up with a boy who's a bit older than her, it would give her a challenge!

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
When the show was on
Mokey 29
Gobo 23
Red 21
Wembley 19
Boober 27

Now
Mokey 48
Gobo 43
Red 40
Wembley 39
Boober 47

Thats sad that if the age like humans ( Once a Year)
they would be mid aged with kids in HS maybe and soon to retire in 10-15 yrs

luvtosr

Reaction score
It would be hard to tell though seeing as they can pick and choose when their birthday is and how often it occurs. So an energetic, party-loving fraggle like Red could, in theory, have had many, many more birthdays than Boober but actually have been alive a shorter period of time.

baby sinclair

Reaction score
Hmmmmm, i dont know how old they are in fraggle years but speaking in how humans determine age by maturity i'd say the fraggles were in their teens seeing how each of them has a lot to learn about the world in general.

Mokey,19(mature,caring,more independent,wise)
gobo,17(brave,leader,wise most of the time,trustworthy)
boober,14(still has childish ways of controlling frustration)
red,12(like most girls in their tweens shes very bossy,annoying,etc)
Wembley,10(very curious,wants to just be accepted by every one)

As far as gobo and reds relationship i think red like most young kids at that age just has a innocent crush on a guy whos somewhat older and challenges him to show that she's just as mature.I dont think gobo likes her as more than a friend. :smirk:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
baby sinclair said:
As far as gobo and reds relationship i think red like most young kids at that age just has a innocent crush on a guy whos somewhat older and challenges him to show that she's just as mature.I dont think gobo likes her as more than a friend. :smirk:
Really? I always had the impression that he at least indulged her, if not liking her back. Like in "Catch a tail by the Tiger", he gives her his only medal to remember him by. :flirt: