ABC officially cancels "The Muppets"

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I certainly don't want to go back to being uber excited about appearances on grody talk shows or guest cameos in awful specials. I've had enough of the "Good Day Live" and "The Jessica and Nick Variety Show" and especially garbage reality competition appearances.
Ugh, that's basically what we'll be getting for muppet material. Kermit, how are things with Miss Piggy? Wer're not married!, Insert dumb frog pun. Everything was in their cards this time, the critics loved it, it was fresh and apealed to the modern day audience, but no it was too "adult", but I don't hear anyone saying TMM was too adult despite gun violence and Kermit drinking at a bar. If this couldn't work then I don't know what can, they had to jump the gun with the stupid "reboot" just when the show was getting so hilarious and entertainng, we went from Gonzo doing a cannon stunt and Scooter taking charge of the show leading to hilarious muppety mayhem to Miss Piggy whining about how she has no friends, yup great reboot totally worth the 2 month wait. It's sad to see the state of the franchise and how we're basically back in the 2000s again.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Rachel Herrick mentioned hearing "a rumor or two" about Netflix picking up the series. I don't really know if that is indeed a "rumor" or the "what if" scenario the fans have been talking about.
When i initially heard people reporting on "rumors" about Netflix picking it up, i also wanted to know if they were from credible sources or just fans' wishing...after doing some investigating, i do have it on good authority that Netflix (who as you may remember the series was originally being shopped to before ABC scooped it up) are still in the picture.

I STRONGLY urge anyone who (a) was involved with #RenewTheMuppets (b) is upset about the cancellation news and wants to use that energy to DO something about it and/or (c) cares about the future of the franchise (which should be anyone who frequents these boards!) to Tweet/Email/Call/Write/Etc. Netflix about picking up The Muppets. They need to hear from a healthy number of fans.

reed.hastings@netflix.com

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
When i initially heard people reporting on "rumors" about Netflix picking it up, i also wanted to know if they were from credible sources or just fans' wishing...after doing some investigating, i do have it on good authority that Netflix (who as you may remember the series was originally being shopped to before ABC scooped it up) are still in the picture.

I STRONGLY urge anyone who (a) was involved with #RenewTheMuppets (b) is upset about the cancellation news and wants to use that energy to DO something about it and/or (c) cares about the future of the franchise (which should be anyone who frequents these boards!) to Tweet/Email/Call/Write/Etc. Netflix about picking up The Muppets. They need to hear from a healthy number of fans.

reed.hastings@netflix.com
I don't mean to sound rude, but what investigating did you do to figure that out? I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's sad to see the state of the franchise and how we're basically back in the 2000s again.
To me, the problem with the 00's is that Henson was completely directionless since the 90's, but things rapidly turned around, if on a smaller scale. Sure, the 90's were actually better than we remember with Disney helping them out. 2 movies and a TV show weren't too shabby. One of those films being the vastly overrated, but much beloved MCC that probably made a crapton of money as VHS and DVD releases. Things fell apart after the Disney deal with Sony, though a LOT of the Muppet show was released on DVD. We all know which movie I'm referring too, and that's the fault of both Henson and Sony, and I swear a certain movie making rule that I swear was the reason Brian couldn't take the project over (please don't make me look it up. I forget the movie and don't want to scour TV Tropes for it). While it took The Muppets'11 to bring the characters back to the big screen, we did get VMX out of it, which was a ratings smash. And a crapload of merchandise that we were actually picky about. Remember when we were really really picky about that stuff? And frankly there was a lot of hope and excitement when they announced a new DTV/Telefilm project and hopes of a new TV show were floating. You know where this is going, because I'm saying it. While dozens of far better scripts were being pitched around (some can be found Here), they picked an obvious concept with a cynical script (hundreds of times more cynical than this show ever could be accused of), and while it was made under Henson and a deal with Fox (explaining why it's basically an 80 minute advertisement for a certain Fox show), Disney released it as their first project. And it was met with bad ratings and lousy reviews. Thus dooming the Muppets at Disney before it started.

Then they got off their butts, made a Christmas special and then a comic book and things actually started happening. And yes, while the restocking of Muppet merchandise at Disney Stores, the new Diamond action figure Line, and the Muppet Courtyard sounded like good omens, in the end the show was killed by ratings too bad to take a second chance on. Though it's also one of the many things that were sacrificed because of (and forgive my cartoonish language here) *&%^$&*&*%&ing ESPN! I'd understand a simple "the Muppets just didn't get the ratings it should have," but we're talking about 2 Marvel shows (Civil War is on the doorstep of a Billion, BTW), I'm guessing some of their cartoon shows (7D is the latest casualty, but that's on them for the show's poor treatment) and killing the award winning series Disney Infinity as well. They are not screwing around in keeping the share holders happy.

I really really want to believe this and be optimistic. I did read that fans of the Marvel TV shows want to resurrect Carter and Most Wanted as series. I mean Daredevil and Jessica Jones are supposedly doing well. Frankly if Netflix picks the series up, I'd want to see it just be Late Night with Miss Piggy (could be cheaper that way) so no more of this "raping my childhood" nonsense from the detractors. But frankly, I really think that if Disney really wants to do something with The Muppets again, bring back Muppet Babies as a Disney Jr. show. It can be done. Gone is the unfortunateness of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse ruining characters to be Dora clones. Ever see The Lion Guard? It's actually amazing. It's a better Lion King series than Timon and Pumbaa was, and I love Timon and Pumbaa. I can see a high quality Muppet Babies series as well as a line of Muppet Babies baby needs and Preschool friendly toys. The way they treat their preschool programs (except 7D) is something that would be encouraging.

tedbear

Reaction score
Ah crap. Incredibly late to this but this has brought down what has been a pretty good day for me. In fact, just earlier when I was going shopping, I spotted some muppet plushies in the disney store, and even the second series box set, that made me hopeful for the show getting renewed. Then I come home, and I am greeted with this.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Just to extend my response to this on Twitter:

Again, I completely agree with you. As much say as the executives and the shareholders have, any future Muppet projects should stay creatively in the hands of those who are constantly there and usually have to deal with the backlash. It's perfectly okay to bring new people in to keep the material fresh, but when you have a franchise with such a dense history, newcomers should be placed in the backseat until they have enough experience with the characters and the people who perform them.

We're never going to get Frank Oz back, but Dave Goelz and Steve Whitmire aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I'm not sure about Dave, but I know Steve said on ToughPigs that he really doesn't consider himself a writer. Even if that's not an option, why not give him and Dave a lot more creative influence other than the usual collaboration on set or in the writers room. They both have over 30 years experience and from listening to Integral Naked, Steve has done so much of his own research into the Muppets and what makes them sentient characters even though in reality they are not real. Along with Bill Barretta's wonderful directing, Dave's experience and Steve's extended knowledge into the characters, surely something great could come out of it.

If you include Jim Lewis and Kirk Thatcher, I think something like a TV show could actually work. Yes, bring in the new blood, but gradually and slowly. I could be dead wrong, but this is just my opinion.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I just don't understand how some Muppet projects work and some are flops and to me there doesn't seem to be much difference between them. Like "The Muppets" Movie and "Muppets Most Wanted". Viewers must be a picky bunch!
On social media, Kermit seems to be hinting that something is next.