ABC officially cancels "The Muppets"

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
I'm so sorry guys.....The Muppets has officially been cancelled.

We did our best.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That'll learn 'em!

(this stinks though)

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
‘The Muppets’ Cancelled by ABC

ABC has cancelled comedy series “The Muppets.” The show will not be picked up for a second season.

The decision to pull the plug on the show came after a midseason show runner change failed to turn around disappointing ratings. The show underperformed following a massive marketing campaign around its launch. Critics derided the series as not family-friendly enough and out of step with the history of the characters, created by the late Jim Henson.

“The Muppets” started hot as might be expected but had a quick fade, finishing with a 1.7 rating in adults 18-49 and 5 million viewers overall in Nielsen’s “live plus-7” estimates. ABC has been faring a little better of late in its Tuesday timeslot with “The Real O’Neals.”

Still, ABC had until recently been leaning toward a renewal for the series based in part on the franchise’s overall value to corporate parent the Walt Disney Co.

Bill Prady and Bob Kushell served as the original showrunners for the series, but Kushell departed in November amid reports of clashes with Prady. Kristin Newman was then brought in to take over as showrunner for the ABC Studios show.

The cancellation came amid a flurry of programming activity for ABC. The network on Thursday renewed fellow freshman comedy “The Real O’Neals” and gave series orders to two new comedies, “Downward Dog” and “Second Fattest Housewife,” with the latter set for a title change.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-muppets-cancelled-by-abc-1201773341/

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Yes, it's sad, but you know what? We gave our all. The Muppeteers, the crew, the writers, the producers and we fans all believed we could do it. And for a short while, we did and it was wonderful.

I don't regret a thing. The Comic Con panel, the debut, the rise and fall of the ratings-I would go back and experience it all again, the good and the bad. We became one huge family unit when we realized the show was at risk and it is times like these that remind me why I chose to join this fandom in the first place.

The show was full of laughter. It gave characters like Chip the chance to be creepy, Scooter to be a nerd, Sam to fall in love and Uncle Deadly to become a legend. It gave us Gloria Estefan. It gave us Robin back and Lips a voice. It gave Piggy a chance to grow and Kermit a chance to realise why he loved her the way he did. It reminded us to be silly and not to be ashamed to let our pig tails be shown to the world.

Keep your chin up and be proud of our little fandom for what it accomplished in 16 episodes. The Muppets have pulled themselves up and dusted themselves down after several crashes and burns. And so will we!