1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31, 2019.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

ABC Muppets in Oz Press Realease

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Jonathan, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Lady Holiday

Lady Holiday Member

Well Horace, I thought we had a "real" rainbow connection going here, but I guess that was just the lover and dreamer in me! :cry:

2. robinthecrow

robinthecrow Well-Known Member

I take it Eric is "performing" Piggy and Fozzie rather than "voicing" them? ala Muppets in Space?

3. Iggy35

Iggy35 Well-Known Member

I think his Fozzie sounds too much like piggy, especially when out of breath in VMMC, he needs to get deeper but thats another thread! ;)

I, for one, can't wait to see what they do with this one.
    I foresee another hit for Pepe, I can just picture him tottering alongside dorothy.

They need to dig out the old Muppet Show episodes out the vault, watch em 24 hours a day for 2 whole weeks...THEN let em carry on!
    Maybe that way the writers will get a refresher on the characteristics of each member.
    Maybe the puppet builders can build more classic characters from the show days,..even the guys that never had speaking parts, certain audience members for example....They gotta build puppets for in the background anyway, so why not build ones that'll make us go "HEY, I remember that guy!"

Its been so long since I watched wizard of oz, I can't think of a single scene!
    Apart from the witches, the tinman, scarecrow & lion, dorothy & the munchkins,...oh and the wizard...Who else is there??

IGGY35

4. McFraggle

McFraggle Well-Known Member

Flying Monkeys! :crazy: :excited: :crazy:

5. Lady Holiday

Lady Holiday Member

Well there is Uncle Henry and Auntie Em of course! Plus with the addition of two more witches, the various groups of munchkins (i.e. the Lollipop Guild), and the citizens of Emerald city I think this production is going to be a lot of fun. :excited:

6. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo Well-Known Member

Below is a compleate list of all the characters that appear in the 1900 book "The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz", the book this production is based off. I've listed the confermed characters and actors above, and then all the other unknowns below. The Muppet version may leave characters out (just like the MGM versions did), and they may add character not found in the book. But it looks like their is pleanty of room for more Muppets to fit

Dorothy - Gale Ashanti
    Aunt Em - Queen Latifah
    Toto - Pepé The King Prawn
    Munchkins - The Muppet Rats
    Scarecrow - Kermit the Frog
    Tin Woodman - The Great Gonzo
    Cowardly Lion - Fozzie Bear
    Glinda, the Good Witch of the South - Ms. Piggy
    Good Witch of the North - Ms. Piggy
    Wicked Witch of the East - Ms. Piggy
    Wicked Witch of the West - Ms. Piggy

Boq
    China Clown
    China Milkmaid
    China Princess
    Gayelette
    Gillikins
    Green Soldier
    Guardian of the Gates, the doorman
    Hammerheads
    Joker
    Kalidah
    King of the Beasts
    King of the Winged Monkeys
    Lame Ozite
    Lame Ozite's Wife
    Mayor of Munchkin Land
    Princess of the North
    Quadlings
    Queen of the Field Mice
    Quelala
    Stork
    Talking Trees
    Uncle Henry
    Wild People
    Wildcat
    Winged Monkeys
    Winkies
    Wizard of Oz

7. GelflingWaldo

Here are some hopes of mine, these are not facts, just wishes of where I see other Muppets fitting in to the story. These are of some of the more popular and larger characters in the book (and even later movie versions) that are still unannouced.

Guardian of the Gates, the doorman - Scooter
    King of the Winged Monkeys - Animal
    Mayor of Munchkin Land - Rizzo the Rat
    Talking Trees - Statler and Waldorf (in tree form)
    Uncle Henry - Some other human actor
    Wizard of Oz - Dr. Bunson Honeydew (with assistant Beaker)

8. Dr. Bombay

Dr. Bombay Well-Known Member

Yay for Pepe being Toto!!! :rolleyes:

Pepe: "Bark! Bark! okay...."

9. Randlev

Randlev Active Member

hopefully pepe will wear some black dog costume with just his face showing and his little strands of hair stuff sticking out from under it....thatd be pretty awesome and funny

10. GelflingWaldo

Toto does not need to be a dog. Although the book (and movie) have Toto as a dog, the character has been other species. In the 1902 stage production, Toto was replaced by Dorothy's pet cow Imogene, probably because it was easier to fit an actor inside a cow costume than a little black dog costume. But this animal change was approved by the original author of the book. So Dorthy having a pet prawn, rather than a dog, would work just as well.

11. HappinessHotel

HappinessHotel Active Member

I agree. No reason for Pepe to wear a dog costume. It's actually funnier if Dorothy has a pet shrimp -- excuse me, prawn. :rolleyes:

12. Movies205

Movies205 Well-Known Member

Pepe should not dress up as a dog but he should ***** from time to time for being treated like one. I wonder if the flying monkies will end up being flying rats with rizzo and the gang :)

13. Randlev

Randlev Active Member

Yes, everybody's probably right, a pet shrimp....er...king prawn will probably be funnier anyway. Although i still think a "woof woof, I am Toto...okay" line would be fantastic.

Oh, I think the muchkins are allready played by the Rats, but Sal will definitely make an awesome leader of the flying monkeys, if that's the direction they go in. Sal and Piggy could definitely have some hilarious interaction.

14. GelflingWaldo

Sal would make a great flying monkey his banter with Piggy would be great, I also think Animal would be funny too. Maybe both.

15. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I can't stand Pepe, which is why I wish I could have soime hope that he won't be in EVERY scene of this movie. Too bad, he probably will...

16. Movies205

I rather see the :zany:s as munchkins

17. WOCKA2416

WOCKA2416 Well-Known Member

How can you not like Pepe....everything he says is hilarious! :rolleyes:

18. ScooterRocks

ScooterRocks Active Member

Yeah, Pepe is a riot! ;)

19. McFraggle

McFraggle Well-Known Member

I can stand him to a certain extent, but I think one of the reasons that I'm down on him is that he is for the most part a "one-trick pony" who says basically the same thing all the time. I think characters like Rowlf, Scooter, and other less used Muppets are much more multi-dimensional and I would prefer to see them used over Pepe. :) No offense but Pepe is kind of like the Elmo of the TMS Muppets.

20. Movies205

To sum it up in a nutshell, Pepe is best taken in small doses :attitude: