A year ago today that the whole "ker-fuffle" started...

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
A year ago today, we found out that Steve Whitmire had left and Matt Vogel was taking over Kermit. Last year for me personally, I was having a very difficult time that I'm still recovering from. Some of my worst nightmares were coming to fruition, and as funny as this may sound (hopefully not to people here) the Steve Whitmire Ker-fuffle was one of them.

I'm not posting this to re-open a can of worms - which is why I didn't post this in the original thread since people seemed adamant to have it closed. I thought with it being a year ago now, it might be good to put it in some perspective and try to articulate as best I can how it all made me feel. As well as get it off my chest because I found it really hard to deal with.

As someone who's just as big a fan of the Muppet Performers themselves than The Muppets, I was devastated and it only got more heartbreaking over the coming days and weeks as more broke out about that. The only words I can think of to describe the whole time is nightmarish, disillusioning, shattering, heartbreaking and very very sad.

When I think of The Muppets, I think of this company of people and players coming together to be creative and work and play together. The core group of Muppet Performers changed over the years as some passed away and some retired but the goal and the image stayed the same. This close group of people who seemed to have that same spirit, camaraderie and drive as Jim Henson. I don't mean to sound like I'm putting them on pedestals or make it all sound just nicey nice. They are just people at the end of the day.

But maaan, it got really ugly!

To see what the Hensons - particularly Cheryl and Brian - had to say about Steve and how they apparently felt about him and his Kermit... no words. Seeing sides being taken as Steve became someone who people used to revere and respect to someone some people no longer trusted and saw as a contentious figure still doesn't feel real to me.

And I don't want this sound like I'm taking sides or just digging things up again.That's not what this is about. It's just looking back at the situation as whole and how it all played out, and the sadness of it all.

In the end, we may never know the full truth as to what happened and have some confusions cleared up. It was confusing and shattering to see some of Steve's peers apparently not sad to see him go, while others like Mike Quinn and Kirk Thatcher, and Frank Oz only had nice things to say about him. My own nerdy heart couldn't take it if that now core group of performers (Dave Goelz, Bill Barretta, Eric Jacobson, David Rudman, Matt Vogel & Peter Linz) that were all seemingly close are happy to see Steve go instead of just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

It still saddens me and doesn't feel real to not see Steve part of the live shows and future projects. And while I still miss him, I am very supportive Matt and the job he's doing. I'm actually going to the O2 show on Friday and I'm starting to get more excited to see my heroes on stage performing their characters before my very eyes. That excitement and interest in the Muppet world is starting to come back again. I'm glad to see Steve doing well recently and I hope this is the start of something new and good for him.`

Last edited:

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
That post was really wonderful and thought out. I would like to think that the 6 core performers are just making the best of the situation and really do miss Steve. A month after the news was announced, Bill Barretta said on the Under the Puppet podcast that Steve was one of the brilliant performers he learned from on Dinosaurs. And on Matt Vogel's Facebook page, he says that Steve played Kermit before him. If he didn't respect him, he wouldn't have mentioned him.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I felt the same flurry of emotions you did when it happened. Sadness, anger, confusion and utter shock. I’m happy to hear that Steve has moved on from the situation and I still wish the best for him, but it’ll never be the same without him.

I’m still sad that fellow colleagues including three out of the four surviving Henson kids turned their backs on him, but at least people like Mike Quinn and Frank Oz still have his back.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I can't believe it's been a year already since the big news broke out and even I myself was very surprised and upset that all of this happened.

Still, I'm glad Steve has moved on and will miss him. And it will never be the same too.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
I was at the beach last year when this all happened. It kind of ruined it TBH. But anyway I’m glad Steve has finally started to think about his own personal projects and stuff, and I’m glad he’s not bitter, he’s still the same, kind man that he was before.