A Question for those from or living in the UK

Convincing John

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question about a food I heard mentioned that's very popular in the UK. If anyone familiar with this food could answer my question, I'd appreciate it.

I was at a Jethro Tull concert about a year or so ago and the brand "Fray Bentos Pies" came up. According to Ian Anderson (or I guess his fictional character, Gerald Bostock) claims they're "always a winner".

I kind of wanted to try one of these pies. I'm in the US, so I don't think they're available here. Sure, you can get them from Amazon, but I just wondered if they really are good or just average and if any types are better than others. According to what I've read, the opinions vary quite a bit. A lot of people seem to agree that in order to open the tins, you need the help of either Marvin Suggs or Crazy Harry.

I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to order one from Amazon. Are Fray Bentos Pies "always a winner" or not?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
They would be an acquired taste for some, at best. The closest American equivalent would be a chicken pot pie. These English pies would have steak, and pieces of lamb, cow's or pig's kidneys (yum, right?) in onions, gravy, and covered in a pastry. The fact that they come packaged in a can makes me wonder...

But the line is from "Bungle in the Jungle" if I'm not mistaken, right?

Convincing John

Reaction score
Thank you. I was kind of wembling on whether or not to get one just to see what they were like. As far as food goes, there's stuff I see in movies or TV I'd be curious to try, but you can't find in the US. (For example, I don't care if they're really plastic in real life--Doozer sticks still look delicious to me).

Seriously though, I wondered if the "always a winner" remark was sincere or tongue-in-cheek. The line came from "Thick As A Brick 2" during the "Shunt and Shuffle" segment.

During that part of the concert, they had a picture of a Fray Bentos pie appear on a big screen. I had never heard of them before.

Your description of them reminded me of the "meat pies" sold by Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, a Discworld character. He's sort of like Lefty the Salesman, but even more of a shyster.