A NEW ThunderCats cartoon in 2011!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I... uh... guess I should tell you the thing was in flashback form, and they were talking to him at the beginning saying "He wasn't always this friendly" or something like that. Guess that was an important thing to the flow of the show.
Oh yeah I gathered it was in flashback form, lol. But you never know with kids, sometimes you need to reiterate these things a couple of times. They might still need reminding by the end of the episode. :wink:

Not saying kids are dumb or anything, just saying that's how their brains work. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Trailer's up

Looks pretty sick! Man, I wish I had cable so I could watch this one. I'm amazed by the Japanese/US co-production. We haven't seen that since the first season of Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Not being a big fan of manga and anime, I'm not really caring for the style as much. I'm not saying it's bad- it's just not my favorite. But I hope the storylines will be worthwhile- it will be interesting to see how it does. I have a feeling that no matter what cartoon of the '80s gets reinvented, I will always wind up loving the '80s original I grew up with most. I suppose that's just that nostalgia thing kicking in. But I'm also willing to at least give new interpretations a try before saying I don't like them.:wink::smile:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I also wanted to say I appreciate Dr.Tooth using the word "sick" to mean "cool" - that was the slang of my aforementioned '80s childhood. lol:big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not being a big fan of manga and anime, I'm not really caring for the style as much. I'm not saying it's bad- it's just not my favorite. But I hope the storylines will be worthwhile- it will be interesting to see how it does. I have a feeling that no matter what cartoon of the '80s gets reinvented, I will always wind up loving the '80s original I grew up with most. I suppose that's just that nostalgia thing kicking in. But I'm also willing to at least give new interpretations a try before saying I don't like them.:wink::smile:

(Slaps head)

You REALIZE the show was animated IN Japan to begin with and ALL shows that were animated in Japan in that era (Basically everything that wasn't animated by Filmation -except Zorro- and Hanna Barbera) and they ALL had that look. Transformers? That was a REAL co-production... had it not been for Japan, we wouldn't even have had the toys. Seriously... if you know where to look for it, in every show from that era animated there, From Inspector Gadget (hot off the heals of DIC's partnership with TMS after Ulyssees 31- which was also a co-production), Mysterious Cities of Gold (another co-production), even Muppet Babies (Toei) have that look somewhere. Thundercats is no exception... the eyes are a dead give-a-way.

Now I do respect that you're not a fan of rebirths... but I at least try to give them a shot. I watched all of the new TMNT to the end, even the terrible seasons the toy companies forced into production... I checked out 2 episodes of the new He-Man, and other than the more dramatic angle, it was fairly like the original... right down to end of episode PSA's and Orko. One episode actually felt like a left over. But then again, I'm not all that attached to He-Man other than the fact I'm digging it now, so I'm not that great a judge... though I do think the dramatic angle so far in the episodes I've seen are on par with Bravestarr...

That is to say when this drops, BanDai will also make classic figures, and we can all agree that's pretty sweet (unless they pull a Matty Collector on us).

That said, the ORIGINAL Thundercats rebirth threatened in 2004, they were going to be a rock band. Let's be thankful THAT's not gonna happen.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
You REALIZE the show was animated IN Japan to begin with and ALL shows that were animated in Japan in that era (Basically everything that wasn't animated by Filmation -except Zorro- and Hanna Barbera) and they ALL had that look. Transformers? That was a REAL co-production... had it not been for Japan, we wouldn't even have had the toys. Seriously... if you know where to look for it, in every show from that era animated there, From Inspector Gadget (hot off the heals of DIC's partnership with TMS after Ulyssees 31- which was also a co-production), Mysterious Cities of Gold (another co-production), even Muppet Babies (Toei) have that look somewhere. Thundercats is no exception... the eyes are a dead give-a-way.
I do REALIZE that- but I still don't like the style. Perhaps I should be more specific- I like the animation style of the 1980s original "ThunderCats" cartoon. I don't like the style for the new "ThunderCats" cartoon nearly as much- but it's okay. It's just not my favorite style. There are some anime shows I enjoy- just not many. (For instance, I do like Samurai Pizza Cats and that show definitely seems to be typical of some of the artwork style that I don't much care for. But that's just a personal preference thing.)
However, what I was trying to say was that a good storyline with good plot development and characterizations should hopefully outweigh any aesthetic dislikes and if the new show does that, I can probably get over it. But it will never be the same to me- but of course, nothing ever can be. And it's not trying to be- it's a new take on the series, so you have to enjoy it for what it is.
That said, the ORIGINAL Thundercats rebirth threatened in 2004, they were going to be a rock band. Let's be thankful THAT's not gonna happen.
That sounds hilariously bad.:big_grin:

anytimepally

Reaction score
It's nice that they have the original Lion-O (Larry Kenney) to do his dad's voice in the new cartoon.