A Bunch of Puppet Help Needed

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Hi again everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here so I hope that this doesn't sound too demanding or anything. :oops:

I'm trying to make a pigeon puppet and eventually begin a video series with it as a bit of a summer project. Though I've built several puppets with my mother before (I put them up here a while ago), I was going for a much more naturalistic style than the Muppety ones we've made so far and it's really different from what we're used to. We have some of the materials and know roughly what we need, but there are a few things I don't know where to begin with. I'm asking around and was hoping someone here could give me some advice on those parts, or know somewhere or someone else to refer me to.

First of all I'm trying to make a mouth and neck mechanism similar to the one Rizzo and Pepe have...I found some good simple versions of the mechanism on old threads here (that I think I lost) but even then I'm not sure of all the materials I'd need and the people at Home Depot can only do so much with the diagram I give them (this is my first project like this so I'm a little lost).

I did manage to find a really cool behind the scenes video of the kind of mechanism I'm trying to make, and I think I could probably try to make something sort of like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vduh9ImrCVU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNT66qRAPHQ

They mention it's on a break cable and it looks like it's essentially built from a bike brake or fishing rod something...but I was hoping someone here might have a better idea of how that works at all. I'd love to try a blinking mechanism too, but all I need is the mouth and some head movement (he's got tiny taxidermy eyes anyway, it's funnier if he can't blink). I'm also trying to find a way to connect the one moving wing to the main control so it's only a one person puppet....like one hand for the body, one for the rod that controls mouth and wing...or something.

And if that's too much, I'd be fine with a super simple version, as long as it works and won't break it's fine. I'd like to try the pro-version, but I'll try to be realistic. :busy:

I'm also trying to make a good realistic-ish, hard little beak for him, that bit of white on it and skin behind his eyes and have no idea what to make it out of. ( http://vimeo.com/21286170 this is a good example of the look I'm going for)

I'm building this one mostly myself so I'm willing to try anything, or totally dial this down to something a lot simpler. I could build it if I have diagrams or someone walking me through it or....some other third thing, and I'm willing to talk it over with someone personally to figure it out.

But thanks in advance to anyone that can help me with any part of that! :zany:

(I can put drawings of him up too, if anyone wants or needs me to)

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Oh, that does help a little bit, thank you! :smile: I am going to keep looking around though, I need to see if I can get something I can follow better, I don't know if I could build it just from that...

I've also realized I don't really need something as complicated as Kali, though a moving head would be neat, it's not necessary (after all :shifty: and :rolleyes: don't really have them, and I was going to move him a bit stiff anyway). I would like to try to make that wing...thing possibly....or at least some way to "dock" it when I'm not using it...but, yeah, I probably only need the head thing.:coy:

What would anyone suggest for the hard beak maybe? :search:

BenjaminJ

Reaction score
you might wnat to try going to playsoup.com wich has a great series of dvds on puppet making one wich is all aboute mechanisms.I found it verry hlpful