6.5 % unemployed

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
It was reported today that the unemployed rate had rose from 6.1 to 6.5%. It was the 10th straight month (I believe) that jobs had been declining.

So I ask you, what happens to the people who are unemployed, who don't had a job, who have bills to pay and a family to take care of? What kind of job do they get?

What would you do?

muppetmayhem

Reaction score
I work at a local Pizza Factory in a small town here in Idaho. Although hours have been cut, I am very thankful I am still employed. I get minimum wage of 6.55/hr and work an average of 17 hours a week. NOBODY In my town is hiring so even though I only make 400 bucks a month, I have to be thankful. At only 17 years of age there isn't much I have to pay as far as bills but it makes it very difficult to finance a car, which is something I have been trying to do for a while now.:insatiable:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know, That is a slow and a pretty low decline, I'm not saying that it's not a bad thing either. All I can say is things happen and lets just hope it gets better. Some people can't even find work, so they do not even have that to loose. Not that that is a goo thing either. I am tired of pointing fingers. :stick_out_tongue:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I graduate from college a in a few weeks and it's stressful to know I'll have to face one of the bleakest economic situations and job opportunities in my lifetime. Plus, I want to be a professional cartoonist. It will be tough, but if I put my heart and mind to it, I think I'll persevere.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
My wife has been unemployed for a while now. I make enough to support both of us, but this recession is starting to really hurt. We've been late on rent four months in a row now and our credit is in the toilet. My wife is really smart and has worked in the medical field for years, but right now we're hoping she can get a job as like a cashier or waitress so we can bring in something.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
My wife has been unemployed for a while now. I make enough to support both of us, but this recession is starting to really hurt. We've been late on rent four months in a row now and our credit is in the toilet. My wife is really smart and has worked in the medical field for years, but right now we're hoping she can get a job as like a cashier or waitress so we can bring in something.
Been there for the last three years after I graduated college. And I couldn't find anything when I graduated college in 2005, so I took on a series of odd jobs like being a cashier at several places. I did not like it.......

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Yeah, I hear that. I couldn't get hired in my field, but I was always under the impression it was that it was because I had no experience. I got my first real job because I knew someone. It's who you know, not what you know type deal.

Still, I believe everyone should work in retail at least once in their life to get a better understanding of how things work. My fondest job related memories are from retail. I've worked at Sears, J.C. Pennies, B.J.'s Wholesale Club, Staples and a handful of Mom & Pop type stores.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Yeah, I hear that. I couldn't get hired in my field, but I was always under the impression it was that it was because I had no experience. I got my first real job because I knew someone. It's who you know, not what you know type deal.

Still, I believe everyone should work in retail at least once in their life to get a better understanding of how things work. My fondest job related memories are from retail. I've worked at Sears, J.C. Pennies, B.J.'s Wholesale Club, Staples and a handful of Mom & Pop type stores.
Last job I had in retail was this past year. I worked at Lowe's for 1 year and left the place in July of this year.

Around mid June, I found out some of the people who were just hired on for the summer were getting paid more money than me, and these were 20 year olds who would leave by August and go back to college. I then left because those people at the place I was working at did not care about me or since I graduated college.

One reason why retail has such a high turnover rate compared to other jobs.