10 Years of The Muppets (2011)

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Can't believe it's been a full decade since this film was released, seems like it was only a few years ago. Probably the one commercially successful muppets project in a sea of disappointments that came after. What are your thoughts on the movie 10 years later and how has your perception of it changed? Do you enjoy it more or less than you did in 2011?

rexcrk

Reaction score
I actually watched it again recently (realizing partway through the movie “holy crap, this is ten years old this year!” lol)

It’s not my favorite Muppet movie, but it’s really great. I can definitely see it being a little too “safe” but at the same time, I feel like that’s what we needed to get the Muppets back into the public eye again.

It’s a shame that there haven’t really been any successes since this one. (Although in my opinion, Most Wanted and especially the 2015 show were successes because of how great they are)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The 2011 was the second time I had ever seen a Muppet movie in theaters, the previous time being a wee lad of seven when TMI was released.

While it was quite a treat to get to see the Muppets again up on the big screen, the one thing that really stands out in my mind about the experience was the fact that, save for many three or so kids, the entire theater was full of adults - something that I felt would have been very pleasing for Jim to see, considering he tried so hard to convince everybody that the Muppets (and puppets in general) could be for adults just as much as kids.

Two other things that really stood out for me about the movie is the fact that certain Muppet Performers had a significant presence, namely Peter Linz, Matt Vogel, and David Rudman: in Peter's case, aside from certain characters like Tutter and Pip on BITBBH, he hadn't really had much in the way of a major character in other Muppet productions, so I think Walter really helped bolster his status as Muppet Performer greatly; likewise, aside from understudying for Caroll Spinney as Big Bird for a number of years, to take over just about all of Jerry Nelson's characters for this movie, that seemed to catapult him into superstar status within the Muppets that he's now not only directing for and training new puppeteers for SS, but is also the new Kermit as well; and when was the last time David was significantly involved with a non-Sesame Muppet project? Not since the 90s as I can recall.

As far as the humor castmembers go, I was pleasantly surprised that Jason Segel could tone down his otherwise edgier and somewhat vulgar sense of humor to play a role where he was actually quite likeable, and Amy Adams was . . . okay, I suppose . . . a little bland, but okay . . . but it was really Chris Cooper who stood out in his deadpan seriousness in trying to destroy the Muppets and buy out their theater that he was actually quite entertaining and amusing - especially his running gag that he was unable to actually laugh to the point that he would just say, "Maniacal laaaaugh . . . maniacal laaaugh. . . ." As far as the roster of celebrity cameos are concerned, I believe Jack Black is the one who shone the brightest.

One thing that did fall flat with me was the songs . . . they just weren't that great or memorable, and I think we can agree that, usually, one of the best things about Muppet movies are the songs.

A common complaint I've seen people make about the movie is that it put too much focus on the "hero worship" aspect of the Muppets, and not enough on the Muppets engaged in their usual chaotic brand of mayhem . . . I can kind of see that, to a certain degree.

At the time, it was just great to see such a movie, because let's face it: up until then, almost every Muppet project Disney was going to give us had been shelved and abandoned for one reason or another, so this movie was a really big deal that we all hoped would prove to Disney the Muppets still had an audience who wanted to see more of them . . . ten years later, does the movie still hold up? Unfortunately, considering how rocky the IP has remained under Disney's ownership, not so much. . . . And of the catalog of Muppet movies, while I wouldn't say that this was the greatest Muppet movie ever made, I would say that it does rank up there, and that it still holds a special place in my heart for what it is.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I actually watched it again recently (realizing partway through the movie “holy crap, this is ten years old this year!” lol)

It’s not my favorite Muppet movie, but it’s really great. I can definitely see it being a little too “safe” but at the same time, I feel like that’s what we needed to get the Muppets back into the public eye again.

It’s a shame that there haven’t really been any successes since this one. (Although in my opinion, Most Wanted and especially the 2015 show were successes because of how great they are)
I really wish the ABC series would have been made 4-5 years later so it could have been a Disney+ original. A lot of people seemed to discover it through Disney+ and I think it could have had a solid run there.

I agree about the 2011 movie, it was definitely a bit safe but that's the way to ease the IP back into the public eye. With the way things are going now, you really have to wonder if there'll ever be another full-length, theatrical release from the Muppets again.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
It was definitely a nice refresher..... and the first time I saw a muppet movie theatrical at that.

I honestly thought it was going to flop when I first heard about it but... no! I was very impressed! Definitely was one of my highlight moments Thanksgiving week 2011.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
I’ve already spoken my piece about the anniversary on the “What Made You Smile?” thread, but to summarize, this movie pretty much sparked my love for the Muppets, and if you look at my profile, you’ll see that it’s my favorite Muppet movie.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Aidan Elizabeth did a really cool retrospective of this on YouTube recently and I thought it was really cool to get a younger fan's perspective on it.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
I’m probably the youngest active member on the forum (I’m 17, young and sweet), and seeing how this movie is what made me love the Muppets in the first place, it definitely holds a special place in my heart.