Removeable Facial parts

TopperFraggle

Reaction score
How'd they do it? I mean I can think of several ways that the muppets were able to remove their facial features (velcro, magnets, pins, etc...) but I'm just curious which method was usually used. Actually what really makes me curious is how features were attached quickly like in the Vend a Face sketches and still stayed on. I figure the most likely method is some sort of velcro, but puppetry usually bounces the puppet around pretty good and I wonder if velcro would really hold well enough when the parts were attached so quickly. Does anyone know?

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Velcro

the face parts were held on by velcro according to "The Story Of Jim Henson Creator Of The Muppets" by Stephanie St. Pierre. Ms. Pierre wrote this book as a 4th grader's intro to Jim Henson who was father to her best friend Lisa. She started the book while Jim was still alive, but finished it after his death. My copy is autographed by Jane Henson. Unfortunately it's also a little worn.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
abiraniriba said:
the face parts were held on by velcro according to "The Story Of Jim Henson Creator Of The Muppets" by Stephanie St. Pierre. Ms. Pierre wrote this book as a 4th grader's intro to Jim Henson who was father to her best friend Lisa. She started the book while Jim was still alive, but finished it after his death. My copy is autographed by Jane Henson. Unfortunately it's also a little worn.
That's ironic that this book was supposed to be a fourth graders intro to Jim Henson because I got this book after I had graduated from the fourth grade, during the summer.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Well, it might have been velcro in the 80's and beyond, but before that, often it was just double-stick tape.

In the case of Bert's nose, which Ernie would sometimes pull off, it was just held on with T-pins.

:stick_out_tongue:

abiraniriba

Reaction score
So

minor muppetz said:
That's ironic that this book was supposed to be a fourth graders intro to Jim Henson because I got this book after I had graduated from the fourth grade, during the summer.
I got it while I was in College :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Velcro

Not sure if you still hang around here or not, but do you remember where you heard that the book was started before Jim Henson died?

I put that on the wiki page for the book in the early days, when they weren't so strict about citing sources (and I don't think they were saying that forum posts are usually not sources, of course I went by the memory of this post). I wondered if it was in the first chapter and I'd overlooked it but recently I read that again and didn't see any mention that the author started it before he died (she did talk a little about writing the book, such as writing the book made her feel better after Jim's death).