Overused Songs in Movies or TV

mr3urious

Reaction score
The counterpart to "Overused Plots in Movies or TV". This is about songs that seem to get used A LOT in entertainment. Here are some of the most notable to me.

- "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood. Any time you need to establish a "tough" character (most notably the Terminator), you use this song.

- "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf. Burned in our minds as a biker song thanks to Easy Rider.

- "Get Ready for This" by 2 Unlimited. Used TO DEATH in the '90s.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This is scary mr3urious, because I was thinking about a thread like this just the other night...

As far as TV shows go, why is it whenever a series does a retrospective or a clip show or something, they almost always use "Shake Your Groove Thang" for a music montage?

I've also noticed that both Charlie's Angels and The Cat in the Hat have "Tangerine Speedo" playing during their end titles.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day has been used a lot for sappy montage scenes and such, though I think it's finally being phased out. Thank goodness.

I'm a Steppenwolf fan and "Born To Be Wild" isn't all that emblematic of their output as the casual impression would appear to be. They experimented a lot in the studio, and had some typically "freaked-out" late sixties social protest lyrics and song themes.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The Ramones Blitzkrieg Bop is used a lot, mainly in montages where all kinds of crazy things are happening.

Queen songs in general are used a lot

Not song specific, but Bowling for Soup has done an awful lot of music for movies. They even released a CD with SOME of the songs they have done. Strangely, a lot of it was for disney. And Bowling for Soup is borderline as crude as the Bloodhound Gang...

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day has been used a lot for sappy montage scenes and such, though I think it's finally being phased out. Thank goodness.
You ziffled me. Meanie.

But the fact Good Riddance is used as a song to accompany sappy things, people use it for their wedding song. It makes me wonder if they realize what the song is about. I mean, its called GOOD RIDDANCE. Its not a happy "I love you song" is a song basically saying "I hate your guts. I'm glad you are out of my life."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ballroom Blitz. The only time I can think it was used of any kind of effectiveness was Bordello of Blood, where the good guys attack a brothel of vampire hookers in, of all places, a ballroom, by shooting at them with Supa Soakas filled with Holy Water.

Other than that, it seems to be used whenever there's a scene or a montage where a lot of chaos happens (ala Daddy Day Care).

charlietheowl

Reaction score
It's the same principle like when people think Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA" is a patriotic song, when it's a bitter song about the treatment of returning Vietnam veterans. People like catchy choruses and tend to ignore the verses.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
It's pretty much the same as people deciding "American Woman" is a tribute song to the strength of being American and a woman (Tara Lipinski made me roll my eyes at that one when she said that's why she chose to skate to Lenny Kravtiz's version).... thank goodness Sam the Eagle put a rest to that one. :attitude:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
That song that was played in The Muppets "Montage" scene. I hear that song in a LOT of movies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That reminds me how the use of "We Built This City" has pretty much become a gimmick: dancing to a very un-dancable song... even SNL poked fun at that.