My Take on Artie Esposito

Beauregard

Reaction score
But he technically already has been, you know what I mean? :wink:
I'm not sure that I do know what you mean :wink:, actually. Are you seriously hinting that Kermit and the entire Muppet brand should have been retired when Jim Henson dead? Buried with him, so to speak?

Steve's done him for 22 solid years now...Bringing out some sort of impressionists for occasional performances is not only a terrible continuity issues, but also incredibly like a slap in the face with a wet fish (and not the good kind :fishy:).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm not sure that I do know what you mean :wink:, actually. Are you seriously hinting that Kermit and the entire Muppet brand should have been retired when Jim Henson dead? Buried with him, so to speak?
I just said Kermit has been replaced before. I honestly wasn't even thinking any further than that.

I mean there are fans that do feel that way. And I see their point. And I also see the point your making. It's a tricky thing because not one of us has had the exact same Muppet experience.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I do get that, Heralde, that no Muppet fan can claim for even a second to be in the shoes of another (how uncomfortable for one thing), but it did seem like a pointed comment (perhaps the use of the Winkyface?) that had a suggestive meaning.

Please note, I do get very, very heated on the One Voice, One Muppet/Postcards to Steve campaign.

So, I'll say one more thing for now, watch this interview on Strombo (there's also an amazing, extended one) and answer the question, could anyone else have done this interview, including the rich history and understanding of the character, the comedy and the voice and mannerisms, other than Steve?

Especially if they had had Artie for some interviews, some other guy called Bob for others, and some other guy named Harry at the Theme Parks and someone else on the cruises called Pip. Because THAT was what was at stake here, it was not one performer's performance that was being judged so harshly as Snowth seems to be suggesting, but the very existence of Kermit as a PERSON and a character rather than a Puppet.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do get that, Heralde, that no Muppet fan can claim for even a second to be in the shoes of another (how uncomfortable for one thing), but it did seem like a pointed comment (perhaps the use of the Winkyface?) that had a suggestive meaning.
People sometimes seem to take the winky thing as some kind of ulterior motive. I just like using it. Simple as that. Not guilty.

it was not one performer's performance that was being judged so harshly as Snowth seems to be suggesting, but the very existence of Kermit as a PERSON and a character rather than a Puppet.
I think you personally were certainly approaching it that way and that's totally legitimate. But others were certainly being quite harsh about the performance itself.

Beauregard

Reaction score
People sometimes seem to take the winky thing as some kind of ulterior motive. I just like using it. Simple as that. Not guilty. Should I stop?
Don't stop! I know you have a Scooter love that could never be quenched! The '; ) ' thing just sometimes mixes messages (which is the darn internet's fault, and not yours)

Ooops...Okay...I'm speaking for everyone again when I should be speaking for myself...*gets off soabox and leaves the floor open for someone else*

Someone else: *falls through the open floor*

Oops...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Don't stop! I know you have a Scooter love that could never be quenched! The '; ) ' thing just sometimes mixes messages (which is the darn internet's fault, and not yours)
No I can see that. I guess I was afraid of just kinda bluntly saying "he already has been replaced" because I meant no particular disrespect about it. So I was trying to say "you know what I mean" to soften it, but I guess it came across as the opposite, lol. It's just a verbal tick I guess.

Ooops...Okay...I'm speaking for everyone again when I should be speaking for myself...*gets off soabox and leaves the floor open for someone else*

Someone else: *falls through the open floor*

Oops...
Aw well you do a very good job of speaking your opinions. :smile:

Walter

Reaction score
Artie's AGT performance wasn't that bad..I mean, was it Kermit?? maybe not.. but is wasn't awful..(It's better than I can do!) But I think if anything did ever happen to Steve(Which would be devastating..Steve IS Kermit..) Then we the fans should decide who best embodies the spirit that was passed from Jim to Steve..That's why character control is so important.. It only takes one person who truly understands the character to keep him/her alive. Eric is a grat example of this, He really understands Piggy and Fozzie, and that's why they feel like they are the same characters from the 70s..

Borples

Reaction score
Really, I am confused...someone please provide a link or something to this...
:smile: This is about something that happened, in . . . 2009, I think? For some reason, and we don't know the whole story but it certainly seems like it was Disney's idea, Artie Esposito performed Kermit for a couple of appearances, instead of Steve. It was America's Got Talent and...something else. I wasn't here at the time, but apparently the forum kind of exploded.
I couldn't find the whole AGT performance on YT, but I didn't look all that hard. There's a good bit of it included in the Kermit Voice Comparison vid. (who did those, btw? They're incredible!)