Disney-Muppets...Versus Sesame Street Muppets

Alvin

Reaction score
I wonder if Disney would ever have any plans of buying the Sesame Street Franchise? I mean some of the same puppeteers who do The Muppets...do Muppets on Sesame Street. I mean think of it...if Disney got a hold of Elmo?? HOLY COW what a hay day they would have with that!...I'm sure there are no plans...but makes you wonder.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney's ownership of Sesame Street characters soured the deal when Henson was trying to sell them. SS's characters NEED to be the soul property of a non-profit organization like Sesame Workshop. I'd swear if Disney did own them, they'd be ripped from PBS and put on Playhouse Disney where we'd see more Elmo than we ever have before. Relatively, Elmo has Sherlock Hemlock's presence in the show compared to what would happen if Disney owned them. And he'd probably be a CGI.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Disney's ownership of Sesame Street characters soured the deal when Henson was trying to sell them. SS's characters NEED to be the soul property of a non-profit organization like Sesame Workshop. I'd swear if Disney did own them, they'd be ripped from PBS and put on Playhouse Disney where we'd see more Elmo than we ever have before. Relatively, Elmo has Sherlock Hemlock's presence in the show compared to what would happen if Disney owned them. And he'd probably be a CGI.
Uggh!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO CGI ELMO! PLEASE! CGI Abby=ok, but it would probably be all CGI if Disney made it. I hate to say it, but you're right. I still wish that we could've had that Elmo cameo in the Muppets though.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I hate when people mistake the Muppets for Sesame Street. People in the theater were wondering where Elmo was. :grr:

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
many older MC members here KNOW my feelings to Elmo:grr:, and i'm SO glad he didnt have that cameo in the NEW Muppets film! I would say i would like Disney to buy "Fraggles" over "Sesame"...ahhh the good ol days when there WAS shows just on big bird or bert & ernie! :sympathy:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, the characters from SST ARE still Muppets after all, so really, there is not misidentification when it comes to "confusing" them with the Muppets. :stick_out_tongue:

But anyway, to clarify what Drtooth has said, when Jim was originally dealing with Michael Eisner over the deal of the Muppets, Eisner did want the SST Muppets included in the deal, but Jim said no, that the deal was to including only what we now refer to as the "Classic Muppets" (Kermit, Fozzie, Piggy, Gonzo, etc)... then no sooner did Jim die, then Eisner basically tried to steal the SST Muppets away from CTW and JHC, thoug luckily, they fought back over that.

Personally, I don't want Disney to own the SST Muppets, frankly, I don't want any more of Jim's empire sold off... my respect for Brian and Cheryl and the rest of the JHC is already at an all-time low, what with them selling out the Classic Muppets to EM.TV then back to Disney, then just giving away the rights to Fraggle Rock, etc.

Alvin

Reaction score
WOW...I didn't know all of that...I hated Eisner. He was a thief and very money hungry.