Sesame Street Stays Up Late

Drtooth

Reaction score
I finally get the chance to see this, and the guy closed his account completely.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Thanks. Just got around to seeing it. it is SUCH a shame they don't do prime time Sesame Street specials anymore. *&^%$ PBS and their Wayne Dyer self help pledge month crap. People would actually WATCH this. And viewers would happily pledge if something of quality was on for a change. No more of that inorganic, not PBS quality junk they use to get senior citizens to give them their social security checks/potential portion of their money left in their will.

If there's anything this could be comparable to, it would be Elmo's World Happy Holidays... but it essentially takes the same holiday and shows the different ways it could be celebrated all over the world, rather than 3 different ones and their US customs. Plus, you get to see some great international characters we rarely get to see. I LOVE the Moishe Oofnik segment. Too bad they call him Oofnik... that's like calling Porky "Pig."

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I like this special. We watch the DVD every year for New Years. I love the whole story line with Telly... and while Elmo is present its nice that its not about him as the main focus.

beaker

Reaction score
LOVED this! My fave Sesame special ever next to Dont Eat The Pictures and Big Bird Goes To China.

I wish they'd do more of the really cool special types again(like Dont Eat The Pictures and the China/Japan one)

cjd874

Reaction score
I've always loved this special. Here's my thoughts:
  • Telly was really the star of this one, but I have to say that Elmo, Grover, and Cookie Monster stole the show with their newsroom antics. (After Cookie eats the flashlight: "Yum. Light snack.")
  • I was always fascinated by the international Muppets and the traditions that they showed in each country. I always laughed at the skiing catastrophe.
  • One of the most touching moments ever on SS: when Gina convinces Telly that nothing will change after the New Year, the camera pans out, showing him in Gina's arms. (touches heart) Gets me right here.
  • Oscar's skit with his relatives and Lily Tomlin was priceless. (Frank Oz as Uncle Hank and Marty Robinson as Oscar's mom! HA! :laugh: )
  • The closing song was good, not only because the whole cast was there, but because that was one of Steve Whitmire's first vocal performances as Ernie .
  • Say what you will, but I think this is one of the most Muppet-centered specials of all time (right up there with Muppet Family Christmas and 30th Anniversary Celebration). That's not a bad thing. We just saw very little of Bob, Gordon, Susan, Maria, Luis, etc. because there has to be more focus on the American & international Muppets for obvious reasons.
  • Gina is especially good-looking in this one. :flirt:
  • Also, Wolfgang the Seal. 'Nuff said.