"The Happytime Murders" premieres August 24, 2018

beaker

Reaction score

hoopless

Reaction score
I can't remember when I heard about this first or when (but it was definately a fair time ago) But I'd totally forgotten about it until last night when my brother who is sick of hearing about Muppets came to ask me if I'd heard about it. I like the idea. i enjoy it when puppets get "edgy" provided it's not the actual Muppets which it's not. So yeah, just hope we start hearing about the production more soon so I don't get chance to forget it again.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I'm still excited about this film - it's one of those that, when announced and straight on through development, I have a really clear image of in my head. I like to picture it being in all black-and-white, with the main character being modeled after the Angel puppet from the Angel episode "Smile Time" - which has a similar title, now I think of it. Anyway, here's that puppet...

And, at last, I imagine it with a very Dog City style of humor, but with that extra edge to it. Puns out the wazoo, with lots of dark laughs. I can't imagine any of this will be similar to the final product - which, let's face it, if it were that way, wouldn't make a lot of money - but for the time being, can we go ahead and campaign for Bill to perform the main character, whoever he ends up being? Bill's baritone is PERFECT for a noirish narration. Oh, and I'd like a narration too, please.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This movie will not happen, but it SHOULD! Why are Fraggle Rock and Dark Crystal 2 constantly in development purgatory? They're big, expansive, large, ambitious films that need crap loads of money just for the puppets alone . Happy Time Murders would be a low key indie project that wouldn't cost a whole lot... they could even reuse some of their stock puppets that they use for Puppet Up if they had to.

A smaller, indie production like Happy Time Murders, something that would be perfect for small theaters in or around college towns... something that would be prime for annual Midnight movie showings. That would help Henson gain the ground they need to get partnerships to get anything else off the ground.

This project SHOULD be revived and explored over any other Henson theatrical project. it CAN be done, it SHOULD be done...

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
What he said.
If done right it could become like Rocky Horror - a film that's been constantly screening (therefore earning royalties) for more than 30 years. It would be a great way to get Henson out there and generate both buzz and needed income.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
This is absurd. This film could easily be done with a minimal budget. Christ, Kevin Smith was able to do "Red State" for 4 million dollars. That's nothing in movie terms. This could be done for less than that.

Are the Hensons really this incompetent?

beaker

Reaction score
This is absurd. This film could easily be done with a minimal budget. Christ, Kevin Smith was able to do "Red State" for 4 million dollars. That's nothing in movie terms. This could be done for less than that.

Are the Hensons really this incompetent?
Yeah but Red State never came to theaters...just torrent sites and I think possibly netflix

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Yeah but Red State never came to theaters...just torrent sites and I think possibly netflix
Actually it did, I can find box office trackings of it. It just never really got a big release or even a large limited release.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Yeah, Red State was played at indie theaters. I'm sure "Happytime Murders" would be successful at artsy little indie places, if not on a larger scale.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yeah, Red State was played at indie theaters. I'm sure "Happytime Murders" would be successful at artsy little indie places, if not on a larger scale.
Yeah, well, whose to say it wouldn't be as big as Team America? Of course I'd imagine it would be less crude, but that's a similar audience.