Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I'm so mad! :mad: The last showing for The Muppets is on Tuesday in my city! And I don't really have 2 hours to spend tommorow but the next day I do but it's not in theaters, the other bad part is that I finally convinced my non-Muppet freind to come, and it's not playing :frown:

brkndwnbus

Reaction score
I got to go see it for the fourth time yesterday afternoon. I have a ton of vacation time saved, so I took a personal day and went by myself. Five other people ended up in the theater right before the Toy Story short.

I continue to find enjoyment in each viewing, and still find myself laughing at the same moments - and finding new scenes to laugh at - and feeling my heartstrings being tugged during others.

Barbarella

Reaction score
I hate to say it. But as much as I was happy to see a Muppet “revival” if you will, I was a bit disappointed in the movie. A lot of it was Jason Segel- I think he’s a horrible actor and almost looks like he’s in pain in every scene. Never liked him. Never will. I know that he was a big part of this Muppet Comeback, and I’m grateful for that- but he needs to stay behind the scenes. But aside from that, I still didn’t love it. There were parts where I laughed, but through most of it, I felt sad that I wasn’t loving it. My 15 year old niece knows nothing about the Muppets, (which is odd because I’m a lifelong fan and she should know something) even liked it more than I did. And my best friend loved it and cried during it. I wish I felt the same. I didn’t hate it or necessarily dislike it. I guess I was just disappointed. I do love that it was mostly “classic” characters because I have no use for any of the newer characters that seemed to appear when Muppets Tonight came out- with the exception of Pepe. He’s probably the best “new” Muppet.

I’m hoping that the one thing that comes from this is a renewed interest in Muppets by the general public and maybe we get to see more of them. How about a new TV show, inspired by the original in style and format? I would love that.

terrimonster

Reaction score
I'm so mad! :mad: The last showing for The Muppets is on Tuesday in my city! And I don't really have 2 hours to spend tommorow but the next day I do but it's not in theaters, the other bad part is that I finally convinced my non-Muppet freind to come, and it's not playing :frown:
You'll be able to catch it in second-run theaters within a few weeks.

Puckrox

Reaction score
I'm seeing The Muppets for a sixth time in theaters with a pal from Tough Pigs tomorrow! I may go see it once more in theaters after that, but that'll be it. If I go again I want to go by myself. I haven't gotten a chance to watch it alone and just immerse myself in the film without worrying about the other people I'm with.

beaker

Reaction score
I hate to say it. But as much as I was happy to see a Muppet “revival” if you will, I was a bit disappointed in the movie. A lot of it was Jason Segel- I think he’s a horrible actor and almost looks like he’s in pain in every scene. Never liked him. Never will. I know that he was a big part of this Muppet Comeback, and I’m grateful for that- but he needs to stay behind the scenes. But aside from that, I still didn’t love it. There were parts where I laughed, but through most of it, I felt sad that I wasn’t loving it. My 15 year old niece knows nothing about the Muppets, (which is odd because I’m a lifelong fan and she should know something) even liked it more than I did. And my best friend loved it and cried during it. I wish I felt the same. I didn’t hate it or necessarily dislike it. I guess I was just disappointed. I do love that it was mostly “classic” characters because I have no use for any of the newer characters that seemed to appear when Muppets Tonight came out- with the exception of Pepe. He’s probably the best “new” Muppet.

I’m hoping that the one thing that comes from this is a renewed interest in Muppets by the general public and maybe we get to see more of them. How about a new TV show, inspired by the original in style and format? I would love that.
Agree with you on the movie not blowing me away, but I absolutely LOVVVE a lot of the post JH characters like Pepe, Walter, Seymour, Sal, Johnny, Carl, etc. Im just an overall nut for all mid 50's o present Muppet characters. Also I dig Segel in I Love You Man. Here he was mostly just the launchpad for the characters.

But yeah, it's funny...the more I see the movie/more I think about it, the more it's not really jiving with me for some reason. Trying to keep that opinion private, as Im happy for everyone loving it and the success it's done. Something just feels a bit off though

beaker

Reaction score
I'm seeing The Muppets for a sixth time in theaters with a pal from Tough Pigs tomorrow! I may go see it once more in theaters after that, but that'll be it. If I go again I want to go by myself. I haven't gotten a chance to watch it alone and just immerse myself in the film without worrying about the other people I'm with.
Out of curiosity..why would you worry during the movie what others are thinking? I mean admittedly, it kind of sucks seeing a movie that you're loving and afterwards your friend says it was "meh". Like I remember loving Constantine, Hellboy and Matrix Reloaded but my friend thought they were so-so. I also have a friend who didn't care for Dark Knight. I was like "your loss dude!"

Is Tough Pigs still using the old 90's delphi forums? I remember being banned from there with some other well known MC'ers in 2002, though I do respect modern Tough Pigs and what they've been able to accomplish. The Muppet wiki is beyond amazing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But yeah, it's funny...the more I see the movie/more I think about it, the more it's not really jiving with me for some reason. Trying to keep that opinion private, as Im happy for everyone loving it and the success it's done. Something just feels a bit off though
Maybe some of it was anticipation. I was really skeptical of the film so finally seeing it and not being hugely disappointed was fine with me, lol.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Out of curiosity..why would you worry during the movie what others are thinking?
I guess worrying is totally the wrong verb I was going for. Just, y'know, glancing over and seeing how they're reacting to the movie? I mean, the last girl I went to see the movie flailed her arms every two minutes, I kid you not, so it was pretty hard not to get distracted by her. I guess I'd just like to go see it in theaters where the only person I have to think about is myself.

Is Tough Pigs still using the old 90's delphi forums?
Yup.