Is the Jim Henson Company involved at all in the new movie?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The movie's publicity machine was on such a winning streak with hardly anything standing in its way until Metro, The Hollywood Reporter and their fellow dimps came along and started trying to ruin everything.
The only people who'd take that seriously were people who wouldn't want to see the movie anyway. I find it really humorous a lot of Star Trek purists that didn't want to see the new film found all these things to complain about before the movie came out, and when some actually saw it, they tried very hard NOT to enjoy it. Even though, as I said, everyone in the dang world otherwise, even movie critics thought it was great. Star Trek movies are infamous for having off quality... so naturally, instead of focusing on making a good Star Trek movie, they focused on making a good movie Star Trek. Even if it was more palatable to the general movie going public without dumbing it down to an extreme (like they do with almost every kid's movie based off something). And it made money and got good reviews.

Now, had I heard about directorial problems, I'd be a lot more skeptical.

Chris Graham

Reaction score
So if JHC has "no involvement"...um, where did they film the Muppet Studios? As that sure awfully looks like JHC studios.
Yes, it is the Jim Henson Studios. By involvement I mean by the creative end and creature shop building the puppets. As someone who works in the entertainment industry I can tell you its quite common for companies to use other companies facilities to film there movies. In the trailer we see Jason Segal singing threw a any town USA location. Thats called Kings Row at Warner Brothers, and some maybe familiar with it as it was used for the Gilmore Girls as Stars Hallow. I was actually at Warner Brothers Studio when they shot some of The Muppets last fall, wasn't able to get on the set due to super heavy security, which was a first but thats Disney. Thats doesn't mean Warner Brothers was involved with the film, Disney rented the space and shot the scenes there as they did with the JHS.

As far as Frank Oz's comments, here is the thing as it was said before Disney bought The Muppets. They own the right to do with it what they want to. Personally I'd rather them not do cheep jokes like Fart Shoes (Which i grantee you is why it got a PG Rating) but it isn't any more or less crude then many modern kids films like Shrek. Studios write movies joke to joke now not what it means for the character. Its product.

Personally I'm glad Disney is doing something with the property, and i do believe it is going to be a very big success. The movie didn't cost to much so if it dose even 70 million domestic it will break even. So this isn't a gamble like Tron Legacy or Tangled which both underperformed due to there high cost. Disney has made this there holiday movie so I'm betting after its all said and done it will be the most successful (Box office) Muppet Movie. Hopefully this introduces kids to the Muppets and the fall in love with them. Thats what we all want, we want them to live on beyond Jim.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hopefully this introduces kids to the Muppets and the fall in love with them. Thats what we all want, we want them to live on beyond Jim.
My only concern is I don't want to imply to kids that they would only identify with the "new" projects. Assume they couldn't appreciate the Muppets any other way. That's the last message I want to send them.

I'm not saying you said that, just wanted to add that to the discussion. :smile:

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Yes, it is the Jim Henson Studios. By involvement I mean by the creative end and creature shop building the puppets. As someone who works in the entertainment industry I can tell you its quite common for companies to use other companies facilities to film there movies. In the trailer we see Jason Segal singing threw a any town USA location. Thats called Kings Row at Warner Brothers, and some maybe familiar with it as it was used for the Gilmore Girls as Stars Hallow. I was actually at Warner Brothers Studio when they shot some of The Muppets last fall, wasn't able to get on the set due to super heavy security, which was a first but thats Disney. Thats doesn't mean Warner Brothers was involved with the film, Disney rented the space and shot the scenes there as they did with the JHS.
On that same token, some of the film was shot on the Universal Studios lot as well.

Personally I'd rather them not do cheep jokes like Fart Shoes (Which i grantee you is why it got a PG Rating) but it isn't any more or less crude then many modern kids films like Shrek. Studios write movies joke to joke now not what it means for the character. Its product.
I think you're taking that joke out of context. In the context of this movie, it's not a "cheap trick" at all--they're making fun of cheap tricks, letting out their inner-disgust over how most studios feel the need to put that kind of humor into most family films these days when it's absolutely unnecessary.

After all, there IS a difference between doing a cheap trick and satirizing the need to do one. And in this case, they've taken the satirical route, obviously.

So this isn't a gamble like Tron Legacy or Tangled which both underperformed due to there high cost.
"Tron: Legacy" and especially "Tangled" did not underperform. They were actually successful.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Other than the fact the movies and most of the TV show are on DVD (Target has kinda a small display for all of them), there isn't any real way to get that kind of exposure... but then again, I always see parents either buying them or talking about how they watch their kids with the old stuff... so it's easily more accessible than some of the other things they make kids films out of.

But then again, while I admit the Smurf Movie wasn't terrible but still pretty clunky and sloppy (I hope the sequel takes them back to the darn Smurf village and they STAYS in the Smurf Village), kids really seem to dig it for some reason. The Smurf movie merchandise actually moved, nay, sold out.

But that's the great thing about exposure... how many movies have you seen based off of books that made you want to read the books? I always wanted to read Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy, but seeing the movie on the big screen was my first big exposure... then I saw the TV show, then I read the book, then I stumbled upon YT videos of the radio show. I guarantee that kids who will see this movie and love it WILL want to see the other movies and TV shows they haven't seen yet. Besides, the DVD's of all the movies are there, though begging for a rerelease... how many little girls who buy Disney Princess stuff actually saw any of those movies in theaters?

Tron: Legacy" and especially "Tangled" did not underperform. They were actually successful.
Tron Legacy did alright, considering the movie it's a sequel to was cult. It wasn't all that successful when it came out anyway. Tangled had some identity problems with the demographics, but even if it didn't do well, it would have made everything back up on DVD anyway. Like I said, how many little girls actually saw half the Princesses on the big screen?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think you're taking that joke out of context. In the context of this movie, it's not a "cheap trick" at all--they're making fun of cheap tricks, letting out their inner-disgust over how most studios feel the need to put that kind of humor into most family films these days when it's absolutely unnecessary.
They've done satirical jokes like that in the past without going to the lowest common denominator like that though.

Chris Graham

Reaction score
By Underperformed i mean that the money they invested in the theatrical run they did not recoup. Tangled for example, which i loved it was the best Disney Animation Studios movie since The Lion King, cost north of 260 million to make and probably around 100 million for what are called Prints and Advertising. It made 590 million worldwide, but you have to take into consideration 50% of that goes to the theater owners for Rental fees. That is pretty much standard with any movie. So Disney took in 280 million in ticket sales for Tangled. Now DVD, Toys, Merchandise it could have made a mint I'm not sure but box office it underperformed. Tron: Legacy actually took in less world wide then The Kings Speech. That being said Tangled is the direction i hope Disney Animation takes, but keeps budgets down.

The best thing going for The Muppet's is it didn't cost much to make. Now they probably are spending close to 100 million after you do Prints and Advertising, but even with that they will still do very well.

I like Dr. Teeths comparison to JJ Abrams Star Trek. Both of these films are reintroducing these characters to a new generation. They are also a new generations take on these characters. There are going to be things that we all don't think are in the true nature but overall its important that these characters keep alive.

Part of what killed The Walt Disney Company after the death of Walt was the company spent 20 years or so saying "What would Walt do" not "Where can we take the company now." For a modern kids comedy there are going to be lines like Fart Shoes and i'm fine with that. We see Shreks naked in the first film, but i still would watch it with my kids. The key is we hope that like with Star Trek kids watch The Muppets and go "Mommy get me the Kermit Movie" when they see the Muppet Shows on DVD at the store. Then they can find out the greatness that was Jim Hensons legacy.

Think about it this way, since Jims death the muppets have done 3 movies, 3 TV Movies and 1 TV show. Thats it in 21 years. I think part of the problem with The Muppets Tonight is they tried to keep to much on the idea of trying to think of what Jim would do and ignored that the Muppets needed to evolve for the times they are in. This is a modern kids movie, and most modern kids movies are like what i assume The Muppets will be. But i still plan on seeing this 2 or 3 times in theaters. Especially at the El Capitan in Hollywood.