NEW Disney Marvel MUPPET comics!

Amy

Reaction score
Drtooth, you need to chill out.

I can't go into details publicly, but I assure all of you that the license leaving Boom was the best possible thing to do. Boom mishandled the Disney properties big time and I am absolutely on Disney's side in not renewing the license.

I also assure you that some of us are working VERY hard behind the scenes to try and keep making new comics. Disney is still working out their publishing strategy for these titles and new comics are not just going to magically continue straight away. These things take time.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score

I can't go into details publicly, but I assure all of you that the license leaving Boom was the best possible thing to do. Boom mishandled the Disney properties big time and I am absolutely on Disney's side in not renewing the license.

I also assure you that some of us are working VERY hard behind the scenes to try and keep making new comics. Disney is still working out their publishing strategy for these titles and new comics are not just going to magically continue straight away. These things take time.
Thanks Amy! That was kind of my feeling. I do support independent comics, but the Disney brands are really big to handle. Also, I enjoyed your piece for Tough Pigs' 10th! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score

Eh... so it's there fault, is it?

I just really hope that SOMETHING happens with the Disney Afternoon titles. I mean, the Muppets ARE getting a movie... Darkwing Duck can't even get the rest of the series in season sets.

I mean, I can live without Ducktales and Rescue Rangers... but Darkwing? That ending and not being able to find the Inspector Gadget GN were disappointing.

j3h

Reaction score

Thanks for the insight, the update, and the hope:smile:

Slackbot

Reaction score
I can't go into details publicly, but I assure all of you that the license leaving Boom was the best possible thing to do. . . I also assure you that some of us are working VERY hard behind the scenes to try and keep making new comics.
I would be very surprised if Disney put out new DA and Muppet comics that matched Boom's for fun. I would very, very much like to be surprised. I don't expect to, but if I am I will gleefully eat my words with ginger dressing.

beaker

Reaction score

Has anyone come accross this cover yet?
Now I definitely like that cover!

My only issue was the covers. I think it's wonderful so many Muppet pages are packed into a $5.99 deal at a number of mainstream retailers. Who could be against that, getting the work to a broader public and kids?

People can complain to the next ice age that Langridge didn't get his last issue out, or that certain titles didn't continue, but if the license can continue under Marvel Kids Imprint even better I say(marketing and saturation wise)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would be very surprised if Disney put out new DA and Muppet comics that matched Boom's for fun. I would very, very much like to be surprised. I don't expect to, but if I am I will gleefully eat my words with ginger dressing.
Honestly, Ducktales and Rescue Rangers they can do whatever they want with, but I'm gonna just say...

I love Ian Brill's Darkwing Duck continuity. I like his take on how Quackerjack isn't so much evil as disturbed and overly creative... and I like how they wrote him off in such a a heartbreaking way. I really wanted to see what he'd do with Bushroot, who always seemed reluctant to be a villain.

I mean, really. These are the BEST Darkwing Duck comics since maybe the long form ones at Disney Adventures (Super Hero Union Dues for one). At least... I at least want them to finish with a Darkwing Classics reprint vol 2. Plus, I'm disappointed they didn't rerelease the epic Disney Adventures crossover arc, "Legend of the Chaos God."

I want them to keep this continuity up if they do continue these comics... I'm still doubtful about them being continued at all at this point, not as, but still. I have some of the Marvel Disney Afternoon 1990's comics. The Darkwing stories were all pretty good, but there was some pretty dodgy artwork. One even had a HUMAN villain! But in no way do they measure up to this series.

My only issue was the covers. I think it's wonderful so many Muppet pages are packed into a $5.99 deal at a number of mainstream retailers. Who could be against that, getting the work to a broader public and kids?

People can complain to the next ice age that Langridge didn't get his last issue out, or that certain titles didn't continue, but if the license can continue under Marvel Kids Imprint even better I say(marketing and saturation wise)
You really seem to flip flop on this one... :insatiable: Maybe it was the Piggy cover that set things off. Somehow that new cover just would work better when they reprint the Peg Leg Wilson arc (Kismet wears sunglasses).

I remit to this being for kids, and I'm glad they'd probably get an audience that broadened to like, grocery stores and Wal*Mart... but I don't want to have to wait 2 years for something we should have had earlier this year. There was nothing on either party to gain by not publishing one last finished arc. That's like my cousin who almost dropped out of high school when he was a senior.

I really truely hope that what Amy's talking about is going to go down, but all I can hear is Marvel management saying "We gotta kill off The Punisher and then bring him back when the fans complain." I am not digging mainstream comic companies and what they're going through right now. I'm sure they'll try for another kid's line with Disney titles at some point... but that's just it... waiting for that some point.

There should be a way to get the reprint magazine comics out there for kids, AND keep new media coming in for the fans. The Disney Afternoon titles moreso than anything else. I think they're sublicensing some of the classic Disney comic reprints to Fangraphics (though I can't tell if they're strips or actual comic book reprints). Again, the Muppets are getting a movie... Talespin, Rescue Rangers, Gummi Bears and the rest are not.

steet

Reaction score
Seriously, does anyone know who I can send polite letter of disappointment to that's in charge at Disney and or Marvel? Maybe a letter writing campaign will light a fire under them to keep Disney Afternoon comics coming.
Well, there's one Disney series that unfairly hasn't got a comic revival yet, and this is TaleSpin. It was a major Disney Afternoon series and has a huge fan following, but Disney didn't do ANYTHING with it in 20 years.
Boom! Studios got a lot of requests for that one, but couldn't do it because they didn't own that licence. So, I am REALLY hoping that Marvel will make new Disney Afternoon comics, and especially TaleSpin!

We're currently running a petition to that effect, which so far has collected more than 900 signatures!

http://www.animationsource.org/talespin/en/petition/&id_film=9

So yes, Muppets, Cars, Darkwing Duck fans may be complaining...but think about the fans who didn't get anything in 20 years!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, there's one Disney series that unfairly hasn't got a comic revival yet, and this is TaleSpin. It was a major Disney Afternoon series and has a huge fan following, but Disney didn't do ANYTHING with it in 20 years.
Boom! Studios got a lot of requests for that one, but couldn't do it because they didn't own that licence. So, I am REALLY hoping that Marvel will make new Disney Afternoon comics, and especially TaleSpin!

We're currently running a petition to that effect, which so far has collected more than 900 signatures!
Indeed. Talespin unfairly got the short end of the futureless future stick. I have no doubt that they would have published Talespin in time, but the license ended before anything came out of it.

Again, Amy is saying that Boom mishandled the license as well, and I have faith that some of these comic artists and writers will twist arms at Marvel or Disney and get these comics to continue. I just have no faith that Marvel will bat an eye at them and come up with some lame gimmick to try to get sagging sales of old standbys. it's going to take a LOT of suggestions and letters to get them to do anything besides reprints (that are barely 2 years old).

All the TDA cartoons deserved a shot at a 4 issue miniseries at least. Even Bonkers.... well, maybe not Mighty Ducks... but all we got were a thankfully decent running Darkwing, a Rescue Rangers with an unsatisfying ending, and Ducktales with a story that was too grand in scope to tell in 4 issues and got completely truncated, and sloppy factory artwork. And nothing else. I at least wanted to see a second DW annual. I mean, Tad Stones wrote a short for it.

I'm indeed signing.