Your Thoughts: New Muppet Central Forum Features

dwmckim

Reaction score
Well i think that we could do one of two things to see the changes we want here at MC. 1. We could start a potiin or a each one of us write a letter saying that we would like changes to be made and where. 2. We could boycot the forum! I really don't want to do that because I really do want to see the site grow, but at what cost. I honestly feel that if our voice gets louder (meaning more people join) things will have to change. I mean it would not be the first time fans have been able to get more for of what they wanted. So let me know.
I think people are posting less regardless because of the user-unfriendliness so that kind of takes care of itself. I don't think a boycott is the answer because when one considers such an action they have to weight what they want to acheive and want a boycott will end up doing - it's the community and the people that make the site what it is (thus it should be our say as to what bulletin board should be used, not one person who made a disastrous decision that affects the thousands of us).

What action can one take to express displeasure and a quasi-demand to get vBulletin back (which could implement its own upgrades and changes while being accessable to all and much easier to use than this XenZero garbage) I offer one possible suggestion:

What's the #1 thing we always get pounded into our heads about how to support MC? Purchase Muppet products through the Amazon portels here. Thus if you are disgusted with the change and their discriminatory impacts, refuse to use the MC Amazon portels - instead go to Amazon direct without an MC filter or pathway (actually i reccomend avoiding Amazon when possible anyway as they're really quite evil as a company but that's another matter altogether) But if you must use Amazon, don't use them via Muppetcentral until and unless we get vBulletin back.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
DW: friendly advice... take a chill pill.

What's done is done... we can whine, rant, complain, balk at, riot against the new forum all we want, but that's not going to switch MC back to vBulletin... just like strikes didn't change YouTube's mind about forcing users to switch to new profiles two years ago, and so on and so forth.

dwmckim

Reaction score
YouTube (and most of the other major websites that made unpopular changes not supported by their users) is a major corporate enterprise with millions of faceless customers to the people who run it.

MC Forum is a relatively small user-led community where we all pretty much know each other and who the webmaster knows - we're not anonymous sheep. In concept (if not necessairily in practice), MC is very-much user-led. The forum can be changed back if the webmaster decides to based on feedback that it doesn't best serve the people it's supposed to be "for".

XenZero is essentially Muppet Fandom's New Coke: a ridiculous and wildly unsuccessful to improve something that didn't need fixing by a company trying to tell its customers what they wanted when the customers themselves already loved the established product and did not like the change. Eventually Coke did the right thing and switched back to Classic.

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There. A LINE that separates posts. Those of us with poor eyesight (and quite a few others, I'm betting) HATE the crowded, post-on-top-of-post look.

I encourage anyone else who is as irritated with that as I am to do this as well...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think that can be fixed if they use another style that allows each post and the one that follows it to be slightly different colours?

Beauregard

Reaction score
D'Snowth! Get that giant poster sized picture outta your signature! I used to love that pictures couldn't be posted on this site because it was never messy. BoolerangFish's picture isn't too big, so not very annoying, but if Snowthers were to post ten times in a page it would be very frustrating to navigate.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Speaking of that picture Snowth. Who is that man in it if you don't mind me asking please?

Perhaps Beauregard does have a point. Could you maybe reduce it in size a little my friend? :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Marty, the fellow in the pic is Abe Vigoda; he was best remembered for being in Goodfellas, but however in recent years (more like decades), he's fallen into obscurity, and he's pretty much famous now simply because he's still alive: it's become sort of a joke that because he's so old, you would think he'd be dead long before now, but he's still alive.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
D'Snowth! Get that giant poster sized picture outta your signature! I used to love that pictures couldn't be posted on this site because it was never messy. BoolerangFish's picture isn't too big, so not very annoying, but if Snowthers were to post ten times in a page it would be very frustrating to navigate.
Even though for the moment the software will let you put photos in signatures, at this time we will keep the same rules for signatures as before. In the future if there is a way to keep signature images to a consistent size or add additional images to profiles, we'll consider such options. Thanks for your understanding.

From our forum rules...

SIGNATURES:
Signatures (the customized greeting that closes your posts) should not exceed four lines, including blank spaces. Signatures may contain your name, a link, or your favorite Muppety quote. In order to reduce scrolling for members, please do not include images in your signatures. They may not contain links to offensive or "adult" sites. Signatures are a great form of expression, but they must be respectful of fellow forum members. You can tell us more about yourself on your profile page. Remember, "Brevity is the soul of wit."

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not using different colors. You want I should make this headache WORSE?

And only 10k characters per POST? WHAT???!!
You have to be f'in joking me.
That's it. It took mke forever to post a SHORT story today, just as a gift to a friend here. I will no longer be posting fanfic here unless the post length is put back to a respectable limit. There's simply no point.
I am thoroughly disgusted.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
i agree with what someone said that i miss the post counts and little bits like that...maybe updrage want it says under our names , the poster ranks,to some sorta of Muppet quirks

example from the Anime Boston Forums:
Forum Rankings wrote:
-0 posts: I'm New!
-5 posts: Getting the Hang of This...
- 25 posts: Experienced Poster
- 50 posts: Expert Poster
- 100 posts: Veteran Poster
- 200 posts: Determined Poster
- 300 posts: Dedicated Poster
- 400 posts: Obsessed Poster
- 500 posts: Committed Poster
- 750 posts: I'm Special!
- 1000 posts: Show-Off
- 1500 posts: Tom Selleck Fan Club Member
- 2000 posts: Probably should be on AB staff
- 2500 posts: Needs a purpose in life
- 3000 posts: There's life outside the forums?
- 3500 posts: I'm a panda!
- 4000 posts: ????
- 4500 posts: I got blisters on me fingers!
- 5000 posts: ????
How about having instead of #0 being "I'm new" to: #1 "Welcome!" and for #5000 EPIC!!! And as for the Tom Selleck one, I would do something refering to the Muppets instead.