New Muppet Movie to be Filled with Cameos

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I see what you're getting at. Though, clearly the Kermit doll dress bit was a big reason for her cameo. And these all seem like they are hand picked by the writers/directors. Confidentially, I still think the MFS cameos were on a "Alright... who can we get on short notice and for cheap?" basis. I mean, Hulk Hogan was DEFINITELY a falling star at that point. VMX was sort of like that. They didn't have the same influence they had back in the TMM-MTM days... otherwise they would have got someone a LOT better than Rob Schneider. You could argue a lot of the actors are flavors of the month or at the moment... but they are very BIG at the moment stars. not a C or D lister in the entire line up. The film stars they have in the film have had strings of hits, the TV stars are on very popular shows. And I might also add, there's very little Disney connection with anyone on board. I swear if they DID make a Muppet movie instead of having someone come to them, we'd see stars of ABC sitcoms and TV shows that would have been canceled long BEFORE the movie came out. And obviously, ONE of their many at the moment pop stars.

So, if nothing else, think of it that way. We may be getting at the moment people, but they're very SUCCESSFUL at the moment people.
Oh, no argument that they're successful people. I just think it's a flash in the pan kind of thing. I think the reason the first 3 Muppet films stood out the way they did is because they got such huge names, that are overall timeless that even watching say, Muppets Take Manhattan its fun to see Joan Rivers in there because she's still relevant or Brooke Shields, etc.

No I'm VERY glad that Disney is not padding up this film with Disney/ABC stars. I would not be pleased to see cameos of people from Dancing with the Stars or Regis Philbin.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I'm a diehard Muppet fan too, have been for my soon to be 33 years of life, and I'm not saying who is in this movie will deter me from watching it. I just don't think getting the latest Hollywood "A" listers will make this movie any better. I really do hope this movie has a lot of TLC put into it and concentrates on it being a Muppet movie and not trying to be hip just for the sake of it, which is how I feel what they've done with their last few film and TV movie projects.

As for classic Hollywood moving on, I know that's what makes me sad: that our future generations will not have the entertainers and talent like the likes of people of like Bob Hope and Steve Martin....:frown:
Exactly, and...
Oh, no argument that they're successful people. I just think it's a flash in the pan kind of thing. I think the reason the first 3 Muppet films stood out the way they did is because they got such huge names, that are overall timeless that even watching say, Muppets Take Manhattan its fun to see Joan Rivers in there because she's still relevant or Brooke Shields, etc.

No I'm VERY glad that Disney is not padding up this film with Disney/ABC stars. I would not be pleased to see cameos of people from Dancing with the Stars or Regis Philbin.
even MORE exactly! (I'm thirty-three too, I was replying to many posters, please don't think I was getting nasty) Wow, wouldn't it be AWESOME if they did get Steve Martin to be in it? Also, what's the word on Charles Grodin, did he completely refuse to make an appearance?

Gotta agree with Jamie The FrogBoy about Lady Gaga filling the seats though. I like her alright, but I'm not crazy about her like all her little Monsters, lol. Hmm, who else could they get to jump in there? It'd be cool to see some real bigtime stars (of these days) like George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie (wasn't she rumored at one time?), Julia Roberts, even Bill Murray, all playing little bit parts like Bob Hope, Steve Martin, Richard Pryor and the rest did in TMM. Though I guess too many heavy-hitters would ruin it for any (hopeful) future films, gotta space these big appearances out for good measure.

Ah... the good 'ol days. :wink:

beaker

Reaction score
I'm a diehard Muppet fan too, have been for my soon to be 33 years of life, and I'm not saying who is in this movie will deter me from watching it. I just don't think getting the latest Hollywood "A" listers will make this movie any better. I really do hope this movie has a lot of TLC put into it and concentrates on it being a Muppet movie and not trying to be hip just for the sake of it, which is how I feel what they've done with their last few film and TV movie projects.

As for classic Hollywood moving on, I know that's what makes me sad: that our future generations will not have the entertainers and talent like the likes of people of like Bob Hope and Steve Martin....:frown:
Ya for being almost 33!(feb 8th 1978 for me!) According to my mom, Ive been a huge Muppet/Henson/Sesame nut since birth.

For me it's simply about good writing, heart, chemistry and flow.
Something that's been decidedly lacking in much too many post JH productions. While I can see the whole cameo overkill putting a bad taste in people's mouths or taking people out of the element, for me it doesn't have much of a bearing. The second half of MFS to many of us was so much of a disappointment, that the c list cameos only added to the mess

beaker

Reaction score

Um, to me and a lot of people a lot of the "stars" of the first three movies are rather...well, dated. Same with the Muppet show. I guess maybe if someone is a broadway showtune or classic movie affacianado, but for every Orson Welles or Richard Pryor, there was someone none of us can even remember.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If this were an ABC TV project, we'd DEFINITELY see everybody possible from the fall line up. That's what the biggest problem with VMX was... LTS also had some of that to a lesser extent. But who could remember the Scrubs cameo that was forced in without any knowledge of the show whatsoever? The worst part is, I dig Scrubs... and if a GOOD cameo was added in, it would have worked. I really loved the Sesame Street crossover daydream episode, as the characters worked together. Their VMX appearance was "Watch Scrubs! Look at them!" they didn't even manage to make the appearance wacky. Almost like they scripted ER, and NBC said... no... we got enough people watching ER. And no offense to Whoopi, but she was mostly in the film to promote her own show which was canceled soon after.

Something tells me, we wouldn't get anyone from The Middle or Modern Family, we'd suffer cameos by people from the NEW shows like Better with You. Oh man... anyone ever see that? Yuckka. And I wouldn't put it past them to put a very certain contestant from DWTS into the film somehow... especially if her mother secretly paid them. :eek:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Um, to me and a lot of people a lot of the "stars" of the first three movies are rather...well, dated. Same with the Muppet show. I guess maybe if someone is a broadway showtune or classic movie affacianado, but for every Orson Welles or Richard Pryor, there was someone none of us can even remember.
I wouldn't make this claim for the original TMM. Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, Milton Berle, Mel Brooks, James Coburn, Dom DeLuise, Bob Hope, Madeline Kahn, Carol Kane, Cloris Leachman, Steve Martin, Richard Pryor and Orson Welles should all be memorable, but maybe Telly Savalas, Paul Williams and Elliott Gould aren't as much these days.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Exactly, and...

even MORE exactly! (I'm thirty-three too, I was replying to many posters, please don't think I was getting nasty) Wow, wouldn't it be AWESOME if they did get Steve Martin to be in it? Also, what's the word on Charles Grodin, did he completely refuse to make an appearance?

Gotta agree with Jamie The FrogBoy about Lady Gaga filling the seats though. I like her alright, but I'm not crazy about her like all her little Monsters, lol. Hmm, who else could they get to jump in there? It'd be cool to see some real bigtime stars (of these days) like George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie (wasn't she rumored at one time?), Julia Roberts, even Bill Murray, all playing little bit parts like Bob Hope, Steve Martin, Richard Pryor and the rest did in TMM. Though I guess too many heavy-hitters would ruin it for any (hopeful) future films, gotta space these big appearances out for good measure.

Ah... the good 'ol days. :wink:
Didn't think you were being nasty at all. It's all good:cool: Exactly, if you're going to put celebs in there, I'd rather see people like Clooney, Jolie, etc. I just don't consider folks like Jack Black among the elite, although I admit would be a better fit with the Muppets.

Yes, I heard Charles Grodin turned the role down which is disappointing.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Ya for being almost 33!(feb 8th 1978 for me!) According to my mom, Ive been a huge Muppet/Henson/Sesame nut since birth.

For me it's simply about good writing, heart, chemistry and flow.
Something that's been decidedly lacking in much too many post JH productions. While I can see the whole cameo overkill putting a bad taste in people's mouths or taking people out of the element, for me it doesn't have much of a bearing. The second half of MFS to many of us was so much of a disappointment, that the c list cameos only added to the mess
You hit the nail on the head, Beaker as far as what's severely lacking in Muppet projects these days.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
If this were an ABC TV project, we'd DEFINITELY see everybody possible from the fall line up. That's what the biggest problem with VMX was... LTS also had some of that to a lesser extent. But who could remember the Scrubs cameo that was forced in without any knowledge of the show whatsoever? The worst part is, I dig Scrubs... and if a GOOD cameo was added in, it would have worked. I really loved the Sesame Street crossover daydream episode, as the characters worked together. Their VMX appearance was "Watch Scrubs! Look at them!" they didn't even manage to make the appearance wacky. Almost like they scripted ER, and NBC said... no... we got enough people watching ER. And no offense to Whoopi, but she was mostly in the film to promote her own show which was canceled soon after.

Something tells me, we wouldn't get anyone from The Middle or Modern Family, we'd suffer cameos by people from the NEW shows like Better with You. Oh man... anyone ever see that? Yuckka. And I wouldn't put it past them to put a very certain contestant from DWTS into the film somehow... especially if her mother secretly paid them. :eek:
I gotta go back adn watch Letters to Santa. I recorded it and haven't watched it since it first aired. It was overall pretty forgettable, however had some potential. VMX I completely hated on every level, again with a few heartfelt moments in there, but not enough for me to get into it.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I wouldn't make this claim for the original TMM. Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, Milton Berle, Mel Brooks, James Coburn, Dom DeLuise, Bob Hope, Madeline Kahn, Carol Kane, Cloris Leachman, Steve Martin, Richard Pryor and Orson Welles should all be memorable, but maybe Telly Savalas, Paul Williams and Elliott Gould aren't as much these days.
Exactly, Frogboy. Great examples! Yeah Cloris Leachman is more popular lately than she ever was it seems. It's amazing to see how some of these actors have completely had a whole "resurgence" in recent years. Look at Betty White!