Jim Henson's Red Book

minor muppetz

Reaction score
What's throwing me off though is that there are entries for things including shoothing spots for Southern Bread and a VTR presentation in 1987. All they have are the titles of those posts and nothing else. No text, pictures, or videos. What is that supposed to mean anyway?
If anything they are good for those interested in taping dates (my assumption is that the 1987 VTR presentation is the InnerTube pilot but I don't know for sure). While it's helpful for Muppet Wiki purposes, I'd rather see big amounts of information.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here's an entry about the first taping of Sesame Street sketches.

http://www.henson.com/jimsredbook/2010/09/29/9291969/

Oddly enough, it says "Filming begins on CTW Show", and it's dated September 1969... I would have thought filming of inserts would have begun earlier, before the summer test pilots. Also, it refers to it as "CTW Show", as opposed to Sesame Street... That may have made sense before the test pilots when they still didn't know what the title would be, but it comes off odd in this case.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I believe it means the Muppet inserts seen throughout season 1.

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
I'll be interviewing Allyson Smith (Head of New Media) and Karen Falk (Henson Archives) about the Jim Henson's Red Book site.

If you have any questions about the project, please send them to podcast [at] henson . com or through the Twitter Feed at http://www.Twitter.com/HensonPodcast

I'm interviewing Allyson on Friday and Karen sometime next week, possibly as early as Tuesday, so get your questions in!

Thanks!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was just looking at the website and only now noticed the part that mentioned that Jim Henson put one-word journal entries on what he did each day. Now it makes sense that these are small entries, with occasional elaborated detailed information added.

I thought I read that Henson kept detailed notes of every production he worked on. If so and it's not lost I'd like to see excerpts from his more detailed notes as a blog.

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
This week I'll be interviewing archivist Karen Falk about the Jim Henson's Red Book site! Send in your questions and I'll get them asked!

email - podcast [at] henson . com or go through the Twitter Feed at http://www.Twitter.com/HensonPodcast

zns

Reaction score
This week I'll be interviewing archivist Karen Falk about the Jim Henson's Red Book site! Send in your questions and I'll get them asked!

email - podcast [at] henson . com or go through the Twitter Feed at http://www.Twitter.com/HensonPodcast
Thanks for letting us know about this. As a matter of fact, I have three questions please:

1. What inspired the idea of bringing up Jim Henson's personal notes from his red book onto the internet? Will they ever be published in book form?

2. Considering all of the early work that is written about in the red book, will there ever be a DVD release off all of these great films and pieces did? Would such things include early guest apperances, comercials, variety show sketches, short films, Muppet specials, etc.? (it's off-topic, but I just wanted to ask)

3. Will these entries ever be published in book form? (odd since they're already online, but just a simple thought)

Hope some of these questions are good starters. Thanks again for bring this up. It's absolutely wonderful to see all of this from Jim's point of view on what he was doing. :smile::smile::smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've just noticed that the dates of all journal entries posted correspond with whatever dates the entries are posted on the website.