The Best/Worst Song Covers Thread

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
This is just a thread where you can discuss song covers. That is all.

beakerfan76

Reaction score
Best cover- Van Halen's cover of You Really Got Me.

Worst- The Jonas Brothers' cover of Hello Goodbye. Jeez, that is lousy.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Best: I don't know much music, but James Coco's version of "Short People" from TMS. The same can be said for Helen Reddy's cover of "Blue" (I like the TMS and album performances)

Worst: Snoop Dogg's remix of "Walk the Line". I mean, JC's vocals are still in it for the vocals, but he must be spinning in his grave from that.

APRena

Reaction score
I love The Electric Mayhem's cover of "Blackbird" Muppets + Beatles = awesome, hands down. The Bowling For Soup (Disnefied) version f "1985" is good, as for the worst, I have only two words for y'all:

KIDZ. BOP.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
The Bowling For Soup (Disnefied) version f "1985" is good
Ah, yes. I forgot that was a cover too. Also, I really like Grace Potter and the Nocturnals' cover of "White Rabbit (Go Ask Alice)" from the Almost Alice CD, although I've only heard parts of the original.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Hard for me to think of worst's - not that there aren't a healthy number to choose from but i try to put them out of my mind! But i can think of Jessica Simpson's "Take My Breath Away" - that was one of those times (of which there's been many) where i just cried hearing it and thinking "what did you DO to that wonderful song?"

Best covers - i have lots of bests! Eurythmics' cover of The Smiths' "Last Night I Dreamt", Annie Lennox's cover of Blondie's "Touched By Your Presence" (which like the rest of the best tracks recorded for her cover album Medusa actually ended up as a non-album B side!), Pet Shop Boys' "What Keeps Mankind Alive" (from Three Penny Opera) and "My Girl" by Madness, Shakespear's Sister's "White Rabbit" (when she was putting together a best of album, she polled her fans on what cover version they wanted her to do and the result did not at all disappoint!), both Liza Minelli's and Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine's respective covers of Pet Shop Boys' "Rent" (also loved Liza's cover of "Twist in My Sobriety"), Concrete Blond's "Everybody Knows", Depeche Mode's "Route 66", Erasure's "Take a Chance On Me", B-52's "Flintstones Theme", Muppets' "Bohemian Rhapsody", Cake's "Mahna Mahna", MirrorMask's version of "Close to You"

Kiki

Reaction score
Best covers:

"All Along the Watchtower" -Jimi Hendrix.
"Baker Street" -Foo Fighters.
"Friday on my Mind" -David Bowie.
"Wonderwall" -Dave Grohl (I don't think it's been released legit, but you can download it).
"Jump" -Helsongs (very different, mind you).
"Black Night" -American Dog.
"Goodbye Blue Sky" -Snowbird.
"Whole Lotta Love" -Blonde on Blonde.
"Tiny Dancer" -Dave Grohl.
"Best of my Love" -Yvonne Elliman.
"Love Buzz" -Nirvana.
"Stone Cold Crazy" -Metallica.
"Immigrant Song" -Gotthard.
"Woodstock" -Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (the Matthew's Southern Comfort version is just as good, too).
"Black Magic Woman" -Santana.
"See Emily Play" -David Bowie.
"Come Together" -Michael Jackson.
"Heroes" -Nico.
"Thank You" -Steven Wilson (this can be found on Youtube).
"What's New" -Linda Ronstadt (her whole album with the same title is full of covers, and they all sound utterly amazing, so I highly recommend it).
"Black Dog" -Heart.
"Blues Suede Shoes" -Motorhead.
"Eleanor Rigby" -Zoot (not the muppet, Zoot were a short-lived Aussie band).
"Tenderly" -Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem. :3
"Here Comes the Night" -David Bowie.
"Rock and Roll" -Stevie Nicks.

...and now I'm trying to think of the worst...

Best Covers--Crossroads by Cream, Mr. Tambourine Man by The Byrds, This is Halloween by Marilyn Manson (Yeah, I like this version. Dun judge me. X.x), While My Guitar Gently Weeps by Floyd! :3
Hellzuz yeah! :3 I love all of those- I thought I was the only one who liked the Marilyn Manson version of that song, everyone bags it... D:

Drtooth

Reaction score
As far as we're talking about the Muppets, the Vincent Price version of "You need a Friend." Curse the short sighted owner of that song for not letting Disney put it on the DVD. The delightfully macabre version of that song, where Vincent emphasizes the "They'll take your soul if you let them" is just brilliant. I actually LIKE this version.

And who could forget the Joker singing the Bart Simpson version of Jingle Bells on Batman TAS?

As for worst... well, I can't premptively say it since I've never heard them, but I wager this album isn't all that fun to listen to...I mean, it's disgusting to look at.

King Rupert

Reaction score
Best
Heroes - Wallflowers
Band on the run - Foo Fighters
Sympathy for the Devil - Guns N Roses
Boys are Back in town - Everclear
Whisky in a Jar - Metallica
Come Together - Joe Cocker

Worst
Sweet Child O'Mine - Sheryl Crow
Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit