Is Rowlf public domain?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been wondering, is Rowlf still copyrighted/trademarked? I know that a character trademark is good as long as the character is still being used, and throughout the 1990s there were long periods where Rowlf wasn't used. I don't know how long a character can go without being used to still be udner trademark. But even though the majority of his 1990s appearances were silent cameos, I think he was still being used in merchandise such as illustrated storybooks.

I also ask because I noticed that the press release for the upcoming Dog Ciy DVD didn't have any copyright information on Rowlf listed, while the press release for the Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting DVD did give copyright information on Kermit. And Sesame Street: Old School Vol. 1 didn't provide copyright information on Rowlf, who appeared in the pitch reel (there wasn't any copyright info presented after that ended on the DVD). The 40th anniversary book also has pictures of Rowlf from the pitch reel but doesn't list Rowlf in the copyright section of the book.

Then again, I beleive that The Jim Henson Company still has copyright on the Fraggle Rock characters, and they were used a lot less than Rowlf was during the 1990s and 2000s.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Rowlf is DEFINATELY owned by Disney (the lawyers would SO be on top of it if he wasn't)

I think the examples you gave are just slips through the cracks...Kermit is so closely associated with Sesame that SW keeps an eye out for when they include Kermit in something and have to provide the disclaimer. All parties involved probably didn't even think about or notice Rowlf's inclusion because that was a rare anomoly.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think the examples you gave are just slips through the cracks...Kermit is so closely associated with Sesame that SW keeps an eye out for when they include Kermit in something and have to provide the disclaimer. All parties involved probably didn't even think about or notice Rowlf's inclusion because that was a rare anomoly.
Of course Sesame Workshop does include copyright disclaimers for appearances by characters not associated with the show (like Batman and the Star Wars droids).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Another thing: The packaging for Dog City probably should have had a copyright credit for Rowlf. The Muppets are probably as assiciated with Henson as Kermit is associated with Sesame Street. I'm sure there are still many fans who don't know that Henson no longer owns the Muppets.