Question about "Hope That Something Better Comes Along" song

Dearth

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a CD with Kermit and Rowlf singing a wonderful multi-tracked-Jim duet of the song, "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along" from the Muppet Movie... but a friend of mine believes he heard a different version of the song once, sung instead by Statler and Waldorf.

I can't locate any corroboration of this, but it seems possible since sometimes they do reuse their material in other shows.

Anyone remember this alleged balcony reprise of the song? Or did he just confuse Rowlf's voice with Waldorf's?

DN

PurpleHonker

Reaction score
I haven't heard any version with Waldorf and Statler, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If it does, and anyone knows of it and how to find it, I'd be interested in hearing it too.

dwmckim

Reaction score
As far as i know, S&W never sang this. (Maybe they're thinking of It Was a Very Good Year?) Is your friend an obsessed Muppet fan? If not, it's doubtful he would have heard something none of us here are aware of. The only Muppet performance of Something Better outside from the Muppet Movie would have been the closing medley of TMS Live and Muppetfest - and i don't even remember offhand if that was in it or not.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have to agree, as far as I know, I don't believe that Statler and Waldorf have ever done their own version of this song... and quite frankly, I can't even picture the two of them, of all characters, doing a song like that, lol.

While we're on the subject of questioning the song, I've been listening to it carefully as of late, and is it just me, or does it sound like as Rowlf begans scatting to the final notes, a third voice joins in with Kermit (and I'm guessing it might also be Jim's, because it still sounds like Kermit) to harmonize with the note he's holding?

rexcrk

Reaction score
I think you're right. I think they messed up when they were recording, to me it sounds like Rowlf and Kermit are holding the note ("Loooooonnggg") and then Rowlf starts scatting, but Rowlf is also still holding the other note lol.

Dearth

Reaction score
As far as i know, S&W never sang this. (Maybe they're thinking of It Was a Very Good Year?) Is your friend an obsessed Muppet fan?
I think as a kid he definitely was, but unlike me, he doesn't have any record of his memories. No audio, no VHS, no DVD's. And we've all been guilty of creatively remembering something. I'll try to dig up It Was a Very Good Year and see if that's what he was confusing with HTSBCA.

The funny thing is, because he only saw the Muppet Show "live" back in the day, he can watch a DVD with me, and the memories it evokes are so specific for him, he will begin to recall whose house he was at, what was going on in his life. And then, when a UK spot comes on, he snaps out of the past, and says with wonder, "What is this? Is this one of those UK-only bits? I have never seen this!"

He also described in amazing detail the TV special, "The Muppets Go To The Movies", which I had somehow never seen. I ordered a copy online and every skit was just like he'd described... and he'd only seen it the one time.

Anyway, as to his level of obsession, I think in some ways his manifested stronger than mine. (The Muppets can leave your life for a while, but you never really leave the Muppets.) Around the time we were in college, not too long after Jim Henson's death, my friend (his name is John) got very involved in puppeteering.

There was this group called "The Kids on the Block" and their shows were about teaching schoolchildren that people with disabilities were not something to fear or ostracize. John played a character named Mark, who had CP and was in a wheelchair. The miniature wheelchair cost the organization about a thousand bucks to make, and although he said the weight of it was problematic, he really loved that character's spirit.

I attended a few of the shows he did around here, and what I thought was interesting was that they made zero effort to hide the puppeteers. Because their scripts specifically called for the puppets' legs to be seen-- to demonstrate the differences of one character on crutches, Mark in his wheelchair, etc.-- the puppeteer's hands did not go up through the bodies, they came out the backs of the heads, with the puppet feet standing on a table that was waist-high to the puppeteer. Aside from the 'teers all dressing in black clothes, they didn't do anything to obscure them, not even covering their faces.

I remember a few times that my gaze would go up to a puppeteer, watching how they did the voice or some other aspect of performance, but the puppets always drew attention back to themselves. It's an ancient magic. I've seen clips of Jim Henson doing Kermit on Arsenio Hall, and other interviews, just sitting there on the sofa in plain view, with his arm going up inside the Frog... he definitely knew this magic of 'visible invisibility'.

I myself went a different route of artistic expression during college, getting into theatre and becoming an actor, then a director, and now primarily an improv comedian.

Although... my path too began with a puppet. The very first play that I ever auditioned for was a production of "Little Shop of Horrors", simply because I was such a fan of Frank Oz's film version, and though I was not the brilliant teenage puppeteer for that show, who also scratch-built the Pods, I was delighted to win the role of the Voice of the Plant through a combination of natural talent and sheer reckless willpower.

I have since played that role twice more, at two other venues. In fact, two years ago the same director of the 1989 show called me to reprise the role in his swan song at the local high school, before he left for a better job at a private school in another state. I was very proud that in all his years of teaching drama, he had never found anyone else who could take on Audrey II. I was exactly twice as old as I'd been the first time I played it.

John came and saw that show. To do the lip synch for the Plant properly, sometimes you have to cue the puppet and sometimes the puppet has to cue you, so they built an alcove among the Skid Row scenery where I could see the Pods but the audience could not see me. From my place of concealment, I could see John down in front, his right hand floating in air, unconsciously "mouthing" the lyrics along with the Volkswagen-sized puppet onstage.

DN

dwmckim

Reaction score
There was this group called "The Kids on the Block" and their shows were about teaching schoolchildren that people with disabilities were not something to fear or ostracize. John played a character named Mark, who had CP and was in a wheelchair. The miniature wheelchair cost the organization about a thousand bucks to make, and although he said the weight of it was problematic, he really loved that character's spirit.

I attended a few of the shows he did around here, and what I thought was interesting was that they made zero effort to hide the puppeteers. Because their scripts specifically called for the puppets' legs to be seen-- to demonstrate the differences of one character on crutches, Mark in his wheelchair, etc.-- the puppeteer's hands did not go up through the bodies, they came out the backs of the heads, with the puppet feet standing on a table that was waist-high to the puppeteer. Aside from the 'teers all dressing in black clothes, they didn't do anything to obscure them, not even covering their faces.

I remember a few times that my gaze would go up to a puppeteer, watching how they did the voice or some other aspect of performance, but the puppets always drew attention back to themselves. It's an ancient magic. I've seen clips of Jim Henson doing Kermit on Arsenio Hall, and other interviews, just sitting there on the sofa in plain view, with his arm going up inside the Frog... he definitely knew this magic of 'visible invisibility'.
I'm VERY well aware of the troupe. I also worked for them at age ten as my first professional performing experience. Aside from a few performances in jr. high/high school with my own puppets, i never really did anything else professionally with puppetry (though i was considered a prodigy) and instead went into acting/singing.

David French

Reaction score
I think you're right. I think they messed up when they were recording, to me it sounds like Rowlf and Kermit are holding the note ("Loooooonnggg") and then Rowlf starts scatting, but Rowlf is also still holding the other note lol.
I'm afraid your hearing is playing up; in the film version Rowlf scats and Kermit holds the long note only. There is no third voice.