Question about a Japanese Muppet Sketch

dfinmn

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm sure this has been asked before, although I didn't find it in my search of the forums. There was once a segment on an episode of The Muppet Show featuring what looked like traditional Japanese puppet theater. It involved a woman puppet with a demon mask--when she tried it on, she became a demon. The Japanese music in the background was kind of odd...I didn't really get it, but then I never got Kabuki either ;-) Still, it picqued my curiosity. My question is, this seemed to be an enactment of a traditional Japanese tale. Does anyone know what it was, or more about it.

Mary Louise

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm sure this has been asked before, although I didn't find it in my search of the forums. There was once a segment on an episode of The Muppet Show featuring what looked like traditional Japanese puppet theater. It involved a woman puppet with a demon mask--when she tried it on, she became a demon. The Japanese music in the background was kind of odd...I didn't really get it, but then I never got Kabuki either ;-) Still, it picqued my curiosity. My question is, this seemed to be an enactment of a traditional Japanese tale. Does anyone know what it was, or more about it.
Funny you should ask that. I was just going to post a thread about that very question. This segment aired on episode 508 of the Muppet Show, by the way, where Señor Wences was the guest star. The puppets were performed by guest puppeteer Bruce Schwartz. Here is a link to the scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLyyBWsdbXo

Kermit describes this as "a traditional Japanese ghost story." But what, exactly, was this story all about? Is it written in a book anywhere?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Mary Louise said:
Kermit describes this as "a traditional Japanese ghost story." But what, exactly, was this story all about? Is it written in a book anywhere?
It looks like a story of an aristocratic woman "toying" with a demon mask. It then takes on a life of its own, tempting her and taking control of her body. She then faints. When she awakens, she is now possessed by the demon.

Mary Louise

Reaction score
It looks like a story of an aristocratic woman "toying" with a demon mask. It then takes on a life of its own, tempting her and taking control of her body. She then faints. When she awakens, she is now possessed by the demon.
Well, I still wish I could find this story in a book. But I don't even know what it's called.

Mary Louise

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. It was fascinating reading about those masks. I agree, jealousy can do ugly things to people...and possess them as well.

shimauta

Reaction score
This appears to be part of the famous kabuki play "Kagami-jishi". There are a few different renditions of the story, but essentially Yayoi is dancing with a shishi head on a celebration day called "Kagami-biraki". The shishi head then possesses Yayoi. In the kabuki version, the second half of the piece features a possessed Yayoi dancing with an extremely long wig and really is quite spectacular to see.

shimauta

Reaction score
If anyone has any questions, just let me know!