GMC in Theaters

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing that's inhibited me for some reason is a major difference in GMC originally on laser disc, and versions on TV, VHS, and DVD... we all know after Piggy/"Lady Holiday" stood Kermit up at the dance, we see her slowly walking down the street, watch an alley cat scamper across the street, before pressing on again.

The version on TV, VHS, and DVD feature a jazzy musical interlude, with an audible crash (trashcans obviously) before the cat screetches, and runs across the street; on the laser disc version, the music is eburptely cut after Kermit finds her shoe, and we hear instead an ominous bell tolling (it doesn't sounds like Big Ben though). Just out of curiosity, does anyone know which version was originally shown in theaters?

MWoO

Reaction score
You should know that the thread title is horribly misleading as I thought this was some sort of news about GMC being back in theaters only to find out it's nothing of the sort.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You should know that the thread title is horribly misleading as I thought this was some sort of news about GMC being back in theaters only to find out it's nothing of the sort.
And welcome back to you too. :rolleyes:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I saw a 35mm film print of GMC two years ago but I can't remember which music was used. It have been the bell tolling. Maybe. I honestly can't remember, sorry.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Now that's interesting...Because I think that I have seen it with the bells, on video, here in the UK. (I also never associated that with Big Ben). I'll ask tomorrow at breakfast and see if any of my younger brothers and sisters know which version is on our tape.

Nick22

Reaction score
i agree with you, but you dont need to exaggerate it so much.you could've just said the thread title is misleading. you dont have to say it HORRIBLY misleading.

zns

Reaction score
This does sound very interesting. It might be possible that the music was shifted around a bit at that particular scene in the movie. The only way we could find out though would be to contact someone from the Henson company that had involvment in it.

P.S.
The title of this thread does seem kind of misleading. I almost thought that GMC was going to be brought back as a theatrical release. Of course if that were true, we probably would have heard about it some time ago.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I know that quite a few audio changes were made for the 1993 rerelease (if not earlier). For example, in earlier releases, Animal doesn't react to Zoot's line about Animal being upset for missing a museum exhibet, Night Life is instrumental (I don't know what the original intention is, but in current versions, you'll notice that there are no good shots of Dr. Teeth when he's heard singing), and I believe that Miss Piggy's "Hiiiiya!" when fighting a tthe end is stretched out longer.

And speaking of that scene that was mentioned, I used to have a copy of the movie tapped from a CBS SAturday Night Movie broadcast, and on CBS, that sequence was cut altogether.

Other cuts on the CBS broadcast included:
  • Gonzo being thrown off the plane.
  • The first time the light bulb falls.
  • The exterior shot of Lady Holiday's work building before she is introduced (this followed the previous scene).
  • Gonzo taking a picture of a pigeon.
  • The close-up shot of Pops and the rats riding bicycles.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, keep in mind a lot of movies, when aired on network TV like that, have many scenes cut for time.

Ironically, some movies actually ADD scenes for network TV airings, like The Little Rascals and both Stuart Little movies.