Question about Recasting Sweetums in the 1980s...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It has been sourced that Richard Hunt stopped performing the inside of Sweetums in the 1980s. I don't think it's known when, but there is a source that John Henson performed him sometime by 1987. However, I find it odd that there was a need to recast Sweetums. He was hardly used during the last two seasons of The Muppet Show, and hardly used during the 1980s. There were a lot of big Muppet projects then which did not include Sweetums.

Of course, before Jim Henson died it seemed that there weren't many limits in recasting characters. Almost all of Brian Meehl and Michael Earl's Sesame Street characters were recast right away, and Janice and Crazy Harry were both recast after the first season of TMS. And of course there were two performers for Ma Gorg. And Hunt still performed Sweetums' voice in most of the characters few 1980s appearances.

I sort of wonder if Richard Hunt started having trouble with the character long before being diagnosed with aids. I also wonder if Richard Hunt performed him in the 30th anniversary special, or if he was jus the voice. Sweetums appeared to be sitting, but I'm not sure if that'd make a difference, and consideing that the set was raised above ground, I wouldn't be surprised if the full-body characters were actually standing in real life. And Hunt's half of the Two-Headed Monster did respond to Sweetums, so Hunt could have performed that character live on set.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And to add to it, Sweetums was performed by David Rudman that one time for the Cosby Show, while Richard was performing the sausage sub that kept disagreeing with Cliff Huxtible. Sometimes, the performer just performs a character he's more comfortable with if it's just for one scene.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I mean perhaps Richard would have stopped performing the puppet anyway, it probably was very strenuous and full-figured characters weren't his main skill in the group (though obviously he did do a great job with Sweetums hehe).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
John Henson has been Sweetums' main performer since Richard stopped being inside him, but others have performed him as well. Victor Yerrid has performed on occassion, and Rob Mills' name was on the monitor Sweetums appeared on in The Jim Henson Hour: Health and Fitness.

Quesal

Reaction score
Sweetums has gone thro a lot hasn't he. Than again what classic Muppet favorite
hasn't?

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I mean perhaps Richard would have stopped performing the puppet anyway, it probably was very strenuous and full-figured characters weren't his main skill in the group (though obviously he did do a great job with Sweetums hehe).
Yeah, Richard clearly loved playing Sweetums, but wearing all that weight of harness and burlap and foam has to get a little hard on your back after a while. I just wonder if Richard decided to give the role up on his own or whether his doctor advised him to.

Muppet performers really get run through the mill - a massage therapist could make a small fortune off of their aches and pains. And I do wonder if Jim kept the phone numbers for a few massage therapists nearby.