Question about Kermit's and Fozzie's Parentage

lovelylife22

Reaction score
In the Great Muppet Caper,Fozzie and Kermit were identical
twins. Their employer who worked at the daily chronicle. Their
father was shown in a picture with frog eyes and kermits frill and he looked just liked fozzie. Is it true that he was their actual
dad outside of this movie? Is it true that fozzie's mom is kermits mother as well. could it be that they mated and produced kermit and fozzie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That can only be described as what you would consider canon. I mean, I never believed the Muppets ever had an official canon to begin with. Kermit said that the Muppet Movie is only approximately how it happened, where as we had a show called Muppet Babies based entirely off a fantasy sequence Piggy had in Muppets Take Manhattan.

Now, as far as Great Muppet Caper goes, the Muppets are playing themselves playing characters in a movie. So clearly, this character doesn't really exist in "canon" since Fozzie and Kermit aren't really related. What we do know is that Fozzie has a mother, Emily bear who appeared in The Muppet show, Muppet Family Christmas, and Muppets at Disney World. Kermit's mother, I believe, was shown in Kermit's Swamp Years (again, loose canon)...

So short answer, they aren't really related, since the movie was meant as a movie they were acting in.

EDIT: I must add, Fozzie's father was shown in Illustraited kid's book appearance form as a bunch of hypothetical Sesame Street Parents have done in the past.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Was the KerFozzie dad just a poser? And what happens to a one-shot prop like that after filming?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Kermit and Fozzie didn't work at a newspaper and that was just for the movie as they were playing characters of themselves--does that make sense?

I would think that the KerFozzie prop puppet for that shot was probably an older Fozzie puppet they were going to be ridding of soon anyway. They probably used it and sent it sailing into that dark, used-Muppet night.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Kermit and Fozzie father idea was just a gag used for a film. That bear-frog is no more their dad than Gonzo is Charles Dickens (or even an alien if you ask me).

Consider this: The Muppets are an acting troupe. Yes, their names are Miss Piggy, Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter and Rowlf etc, and the roles they play usually are based on their character and bear their own name, but that's about it. I imagine the Muppet Show is fairly close to what their roots are supposed to be, yet that is still off.

The Muppet Movie is supposed to be an approximation of how the Muppets got started, but we know they were really born out of Sam & Friends in DC, relocated to New York and shot every Muppet Show episode in the UK!

If you ask me, the Muppet Babies, Kermit and Piggy's wedding and most other items are film contrivances that served for entertainment value. So sure, the Muppets are puppets performed by talented people. The Muppets history itself - my opinion is that they all met up with Kermit and found a career together as young adults. Beyond that is anyone's guess. But there's no harm in believing whatever you choose! We're all fans here.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Marty Robison at the 40th Anniversary event said there is a "dead Muppet wall" in the green room at the studio.

Beauregard

Reaction score
The Muppet Canon (Not Betsy...the other type of cannon) is loose...What can be formed of it, is usually from their "out of character" moments. For example, when Kermit and Piggy had the fight by the duck-pond in the middle of GMC...I'd concider that to be canon. I don't think it was acting. Piggy was genuinely upset about Kermit's reaction to her overacting.

Similarly, when the Muppets arrived at the private screening of The Muppet Movie. I'd concider that canon. (Although Sweetums bursting through the screen...just complicates things more :stick_out_tongue:)

The rats in the background of Muppet Treasure Island are probably canon...seeing as they had no idea a movie was being made :stick_out_tongue:

But, the KerFoz...I doubt that's true. Even Kermit seemed to pull a face at the very idea.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Yes, their names are Miss Piggy, Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter and Rowlf etc, and the roles they play usually are based on their character and bear their own name...
Especially FOZZIE BEAR!

Get it? Bear their own name, and his name is Fozzie Bear?

Wocka wocka!

:embarrassed:
Who threw that tomato?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Fozzie! I LOVE your new avatar! I know that's off topic, but it's the first time I've noticed it! Whoop!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Thanks. I think it's the first time I've ever used Muley as an avatar at MC. :smile:

You know, isn't there an image of Kermit's mother and family in a children's book somewhere?

I mean, we know Fozzie's mom and cousin look just like him.