Kermit's Swamp Years

ngreen522

Reaction score
I can never understand not watching a movie all the way through, even movies I hate I watch from start to finish just to make sure their is nothing good in them :\. But after five years of no tv maybe I just like something over nothing *lol* :smile:
lol, I kept trying to watch it at night after I had put my son in bed, and by that time, I would be sleepy myself. Then I'd wake up in the morning and be heated cuz I fell asleep. 3 times this happened. Then, I finally watched it on a weekend.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I actually wish more movies did the overacting with the humans, to me that is one of the parts of the classic muppets, and when you take that away it just feels like a normal movie with the muppets thrown in IMHO...So I really like KSY and I think for a movie about 12 year old boys (um, toads and frogs) it is very realistic *suddenly pictures a Kermit verison of 'Stand By Me'*
Really? I grew up with human actors "playing it straight" with the Muppets instead of acting like silly over-the-top cartoon characters. Think Charles Grodin in GMC. That's when the interaction is at its best for thirty-something-plus fans like myself.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Really? I grew up with human actors "playing it straight" with the Muppets instead of acting like silly over-the-top cartoon characters. Think Charles Grodin in GMC. That's when the interaction is at its best for thirty-something-plus fans like myself.
Yeah I'm more on that page too. I like when the human actors take the story (and therefore the Muppets) seriously. Of course there has to be something slightly off about it as well (as was the case with Charles Grodin's protrayl, hehe. I mean that as a compliment. :wink: ).

Redsonga

Reaction score
Hmm..I never thought of that as acting seriously, he was still over the top (in a good way) to me in that he was playing a stereotype in a way, and that made it silly :smile:. Like, even in those westerns where everyone plays villains as if they were real people but their actions and how they talk make it funny. I don't see the villains in KSY as any different, most of all when the main characters are younger themselves:coy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hmm..I never thought of that as acting seriously, he was still over the top (in a good way) to me in that he was playing a stereotype in a way, and that made it silly :smile:. Like, even in those westerns where everyone plays villains as if they were real people but their actions and how they talk make it funny. I don't see the villains in KSY as any different, most of all when the main characters are younger themselves:coy:
Yeah like I said, Charles Grodin's performance was a bit off beat as well. I think when we say serious, we just mean that they act more like real movie people (heh) than cartoon characters. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Yeah like I said, Charles Grodin's performance was a bit off beat as well. I think when we say serious, we just mean that they act more like real movie people (heh) than cartoon characters. :smile:
I still say they weren't cartoony though, not for a muppet movie :stick_out_tongue:. And its not that I think the muppets are dubbed down at all, just that they live in a nicer more off beat version of our world that makes those types of characters very believable and not cartoony :smile:. That's my pov and I'm sticking to it :big_grin:!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I probably shouldn't even be talking since I haven't seen KSY, lol. :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I still say they weren't cartoony though, not for a muppet movie :stick_out_tongue:
That doctor fellow was over-the-top by even a Jerry Lewis standard IMHO. :embarrassed:

But I don't get the "for a Muppet Movie" designation.

Redsonga

Reaction score
That doctor fellow was over-the-top by even a Jerry Lewis standard IMHO. :embarrassed:
Meh, I still see the KSY glass as half full :smile:. It's more fun than most of the other new movies to me and has a lot of soul IMHO:smile:. If you had some of the teachers I did IRL you might be more likely to agree with me ^.^

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Meh, I still see the KSY glass as half full :smile:. It's more fun than most of the other new movies to me and has a lot of soul IMHO:smile:. If you had some of the teachers I did IRL you might be more likely to agree with me ^.^
Those moments just seemed more suited to a Barney movie than a Muppet movie to me. I don't believe in over-goofing a performance just because Muppets are present. The "for a Muppet movie" designation makes no sense to me.

Human-to-Muppet interaction plays much funnier straight. I guess I'm not a fan of the kiddie movies and that's really what this is to me. Don't get me wrong - it has some moments, but for the most part this was like the Muppets on Wheels kid vid. It's really for the kids. Jim pitched TMS for an adult audience, but Kermit transcends both SS and TMS. I just didn't see enough in KSY for the child in me. It's not something I would have cared for even as the target audience.