Something I always wondered about Miss Piggy...

Redsonga

Reaction score
*random not really important question* :smile:
I know some of the characters joked about it now and again but I wondered if there was any truth to it:
Does Miss. Piggy ever speak normal 'pig' at all?
I know Kermit and Rowlf speak 'frog' and 'dog' quite often:smile:...
I guess I always wondered how far removed from their roots the more human like animal muppets are:smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
There are a few spots in the first season of The Muppet Show where Piggy speaks "pig," but in other productions she seems almost offended by it... such as when Kermit calls out "Sooey! Oink! Oink!" in The Muppets Take Manhattan. Of course, that could also just be because he was mocking her, but I don't think it helped any.

Redsonga

Reaction score
It seems weird to get offended by it when you are a pig :stick_out_tongue:..The "Sooey" part I can understand hating (since being a farm pig might be like being a sort of slave to pigdom) but like I said, Kermit himself doesn't seem to see anything wrong with ribiting :smile:...Hmmm...

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I think just wants to be lady-like. The fact that she's a pig is difficult for her at times (in the first season, she said things like "Pig Power," but that sort of thing disappeared from her character). She's worked hard to cover it up, and is afraid of letting anyone see that she's actually a roll around in the mud and eat from a trough kinda gal. A true Pygmallion story... no pun intended.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well, she wasn't force to be lady-like against her will based on a bet (I actually did a paper that got a A on how I felt that Pygmalion was actually a story about her being turned into less like a real person and more like a shallow made of ivory idea of perfection a few years ago for college, it's still one of my favorite essays)
Argh..this so makes me want to write a story about Piggy's piggish side just..because..I've never seen anyone do it before...

Super Scooter

Reaction score
(I actually did a paper that got a A on how I felt that Pygmalion was actually a story about her being turned into less like a real person and more like a shallow made of ivory idea of perfection a few years ago for college, it's still one of my favorite essays)
That's also brought out quite a bit in the play... or at least in My Fair Lady. I'd have to re-read Pygmallion. But, in My Fair Lady, Eliza becomes frustrated because she doesn't know who she is anymore. She doesn't know where she fits in, whereas when she was on the streets, she at least knew what she was fit for. I'm fairly certain that's in Shaw's Pygmallion, too.

I love that you explored that thought further. That would be an interesting paper to read.

In any case, that was sort of my take on Piggy. Frank Oz described her as a truck driver, desperate to hide the fact that she's a truck driver. Hiding that under a lady-like exterior. Basically, a pig in girl's clothing. This makes her fragile, but at the same time a very strong person. I personally think she's a lot more than the way Frank described her when he said that, and I'm sure he probably thinks more of her too, but that's just a starting point with Piggy.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think she could be lady-like and piggish at the same time, or at least learn to be...Argh, now I have another fanfic idea *lol* :stick_out_tongue:

Maybe it's because one of my first favorite animals was a pig...I even have a soft spot for Link Hogthrob *hugs him*

peyjenk

Reaction score
In season three, Elke Sommers speaks "pig" to Miss P (grunting through her nose), and our favorite sow clearly understands her, but is quick to pretend not to. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
In season three, Elke Sommers speaks "pig" to Miss P (grunting through her nose), and our favorite sow clearly understands her, but is quick to pretend not to. :smile:
*lol* Of course...*tucks away story idea for a rainy day*:coy:

muppet baby

Reaction score
you i can see that miss piggy would not speak pig because she would not think of the lady like part of it keke that would make sense to me . I say that because of her persanality .:smile: