Disney greenlights "The Muppet Show" comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Okay, while we're on the topic of bad Muppet cartoonists, I think we can all rest easy knowing that at least THIS guy isn't working on the Muppet comic:
http://www.toughpigs.com/journalbigboy01.htm
I'm sure many of you saw this before. It was on the Tough Pigs forum a few years back, and let's face it, there's no way that anyone could be a worse Muppet cartoonist (and I hesitate to even put him in such a prestigious category) than Manny Stallman--a name that just screams "off-model and poorly drawn".

Oh Big Boy, how could you associate yourself with such a lackluster talent, especially after you were designed by a Looney Tunes animator? For shame!

And with all the media attention Jim was getting for the Muppets around 1979, did he really need this cruddy little venue? I have to think this one slipped by him somehow....

Redsonga

Reaction score
I don't really like the cover but I will be buying the series, I have subscribed to it online :smile:. This will be the first time I've been able to buy any sort of muppet comic :3.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Applause. Hey Jay, erm, LCG... Just wanted to say you handled the dialogue with Uppity very well indeed. *Gives LCG a :insatiable: cookie.

Also, do you mean MuppetMonkey, my guy from down here in PR, that Dave Alvarez? Might contact him and AM for that Muppet art I mentioned to you and Jamie a while ago.

Have fun and hope the Muppet comics become a good venture for our fave characters from the Henson realms.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
*Applause. Hey Jay, erm, LCG... Just wanted to say you handled the dialogue with Uppity very well indeed. *Gives LCG a :insatiable: cookie.

Also, do you mean MuppetMonkey, my guy from down here in PR, that Dave Alvarez? Might contact him and AM for that Muppet art I mentioned to you and Jamie a while ago.

Have fun and hope the Muppet comics become a good venture for our fave characters from the Henson realms.
Yes! MuppetMonkey! That was Dave's handle! You should totally tap him for your project. Nobody draws the Muppets better than Dave! Tell 'em I said hi if you make contact. It's been awhile.

And thanks for the cookie! That's good enough for me!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay, while we're on the topic of bad Muppet cartoonists, I think we can all rest easy knowing that at least THIS guy isn't working on the Muppet comic:
http://www.toughpigs.com/journalbigboy01.htm
I'm sure many of you saw this before. It was on the Tough Pigs forum a few years back, and let's face it, there's no way that anyone could be a worse Muppet cartoonist (and I hesitate to even put him in such a prestigious category) than Manny Stallman--a name that just screams "off-model and poorly drawn".

Oh Big Boy, how could you associate yourself with such a lackluster talent, especially after you were designed by a Looney Tunes animator? For shame!

And with all the media attention Jim was getting for the Muppets around 1979, did he really need this cruddy little venue? I have to think this one slipped by him somehow....

....but

:eek:

And that has to be hands down the worst Gonzo ever. A million times worse than the worst plush toy. His Snuffy is actually alright, though. Compared to the others at least....

lowercasegods

Reaction score

....but

:eek:

And that has to be hands down the worst Gonzo ever. A million times worse than the worst plush toy. His Snuffy is actually alright, though. Compared to the others at least....
I know! I don't even know what to make of this! Part of me wonders if the Big Boy comic publisher couldn't get the rights to use the Muppets in their entirety, so the artist (and I use the term loosely) drew these whacked out mishmash interpretations of the characters, which is why Gonzo looks like a fighter pilot, Fozzie looks like a circus clown and Grover looks like a Bavarian pimp!

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score

Oh, man, does this bring back memories. Back when I was writing at Disney features, the artists and I would always go to Bob's Big Boy just to get the comics. We would literally (and I mean literally) laugh ourselves sick over the "art" of Manny Stallman. I'm no artist myself, but inept doesn't even begin to describe Manny. Then again, those were probably the funniest comic books in history... even if we were laughing for a different reason.

I never saw that Henson issue, though. Truly a classic. I wonder what ever became of Manny Stallman after his Big Boy gig ended.

:stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know! I don't even know what to make of this! Part of me wonders if the Big Boy comic publisher couldn't get the rights to use the Muppets in their entirety, so the artist (and I use the term loosely) drew these whacked out mishmash interpretations of the characters, which is why Gonzo looks like a fighter pilot, Fozzie looks like a circus clown and Grover looks like a Bavarian pimp!
Gonzo looks more like... well, some sort of bootlegged cheap elephant plush from a carnival that's been beaten up until the ears fell off. And its nose got stuck in the dryer... and so on and so forth. I'd almost agree with the rights issue, but then again the guy can't even draw the other characters consistently.

And I love how they know about Un Rue Sesame and the like, and have NO CLUE that Big Bird is a dude.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Oh, man, does this bring back memories. Back when I was writing at Disney features, the artists and I would always go to Bob's Big Boy just to get the comics. We would literally (and I mean literally) laugh ourselves sick over the "art" of Manny Stallman. I'm no artist myself, but inept doesn't even begin to describe Manny. Then again, those were probably the funniest comic books in history... even if we were laughing for a different reason.

I never saw that Henson issue, though. Truly a classic. I wonder what ever became of Manny Stallman after his Big Boy gig ended.

:stick_out_tongue:
I'm guessing Manny was the head dishwasher at the original Bob's Big Boy, and they threw him a bone and let him draw the comic. Sure, a free comic is a nice kid-friendly gesture at a family restaurant, but give the comic reading kids some credit and provide them with a better grade of cartoonist! Wherever you are, Manny Stallman--I read Carl Barks, and you, sir, are no Carl Barks.

unclematt

Reaction score
I just want to say that I have never seen the Big Boy issue and that is flippin hilarious. There is no way the Muppets were actually involved in the creation of that comic were they. I really hope they were not.

Status
Not open for further replies.