Did anyone see that new Hannah Montanna episode?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You make am good point DT. They really are trying to enforce growing up too fast and ever faster in a lot of ways.

Well, I liked the puppet lady! She was really creepy in a good way. It really wasn't that bad regarding it being an insult to puppetry to me,. But that how is a laugh a second. Every time anyone opens their mouth people laugh like it's the funnies thing ever.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
like I said, I as probably reading too much into things. but the whole message throughout the episode was that "Kids do not like puppets, adults do not like puppets, babies like puppets". It just seems to me to be a bit hypocritical considering that she will be working with the muppets. I can see it now

Kid 1: Hey, thats Hannah montanna with a puppet!
Kid 2: but she said we shouldnt like puppets
kid 1: should we watch it?
Kid 2: No, if hannah montanna said puppets are for little kids, I dont want to be considered a baby
Kid 1: so does that make her a baby?
Kid 2: No, it just means that we should not watch it, since she is doing this for babies
Kid 1: :confused:

*tv goes off*

get my point?

Redsonga

Reaction score
You make am good point DT. They really are trying to enforce growing up too fast and ever faster in a lot of ways.
Even in the latest live action Disney movies they make all these characters under ten act like they are 'oh so realistic' teenagers :coy:. ..
No wonder many teens nowadays do things without thinking, they never get a chance to just be themselves anymore, the media is force-feeding them this "it's bad to be innocent and have an imagination when you are little, and if you still want to be imaginative when you are an adult, forget it, because child-like adults are all crazy and get dragged off to the nuthouse" message:sympathy:.
The scaring can impact their whole life...
Who knows how many creative thinkers we've lost already to this mindset:cry:, HM should not be enforcing it....

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even in the latest live action Disney movies they make all these characters under ten act like they are 'oh so realistic' teenagers :coy:. ..
No wonder many teens nowadays do things without thinking, they never get a chance to just be themselves anymore, the media is force-feeding them this "it's bad to be innocent and have an imagination when you are little, and if you still want to be imaginative when you are an adult, forget it, because child-like adults are all crazy and get dragged off to the nuthouse" message:sympathy:.
The scaring can impact their whole life...
Who knows how many creative thinkers we've lost already to this mindset:cry:, HM should not be enforcing it....
It's disgusting. It truely truely is. And you'd think those magazine photos would have underlined that concept.

And it is hypoctitical. hannah Montan IS a puppet. Have you ever seen Miley talk while Billy Ray was drinking water?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
hahahaha. They are only real in the physical sense. I dont think we are watching ghosts or zombies :stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I watched it.

:wisdom: It appears to be a spoof of Lamb Chop and the perpetually perky Sherri Lewis. I know many around these boards that disagree with me, but to be honest as a kid I didn't particularly care for her or Mister Rogers. I felt their programs weren't designed to have much appeal for older folk and I didn't particularly enjoy obviously made-for-kids entertainment. Jim Henson had a touch to bridge all of that. I have always been more of a Jim Henson/Chuck Jones television fan. However I do respect the Lewis and Rogers legacy and what it means to others.

Getting back to this episode. I kind of enjoyed the darkness of the puppeteer and her creation. I feel the writers were alright in this cornball genre until the whole puppet thing at the end. It was cynical, incorrect and kind of tacky. There was a much better way to write the end of that episode, but the hacky writers just got lazy and slapped on this incongruent monstrosity that basically says Hannah Montana is needlessly judgmental. Nobody over the age of seven should be watching this Disney Channel show under her character's criteria for what is considered age appropriate.

:search: The episode was obviously written by someone who didn't spend a lot of time arount talented puppeteers. Both credited writers of this episode, Jay J. Demopoulos and Steven James Meyer, are new to the series. Also, according to their abbreviated history, they are quite new to television writing in general. Maybe Pancake was supposed to be merely a dumbed-down kiddie show puppet, but even so - a talented puppeteer makes you believe in the puppet with such ease. We all know about this on the forum. Also, it appears that Pancake was performed by a "ghost" puppeteer out of view for much of the episode. I wonder what she felt about that portion?

:embarrassed: I am reminded by an old Murphy Brown episode when she appeared on a Sesame-type program called "Mulberry Lane" where a particular puppet sarcastically chides her so much she ends up ripping its head off on live television! Now that was funny and done by someone who had not only paid her dues with puppets but was born into the world.

Redsonga

Reaction score
It appears to be a spoof of Lamb Chop and the perpetually perky Sherri Lewis. I know many around these boards that disagree with me, but to be honest as a kid I didn't particularly care for her or Mister Rogers. I felt their programs weren't designed to have much appeal for older folk and I didn't particularly enjoy obviously made-for-kids entertainment.
I love Lamb Chop ..and well, when they make fun of someone like Sherri Lewis (who I think fit the label of "talented puppeteer" thank you) they might as well be making fun of me, because I have that sort of character (but no talent :wink:) :stick_out_tongue:. And I love Mr. Rogers to, he helped me (and still does at times) well past the 'for kids' age group. I think it is all in your pov when it comes to things like this, I really think nearly any show passed Romper Room and Teletubbes can be 'all ages' if you have the right mindset :smile:. But then, I am the sort that I loves the 80's Care Bears :wink:

The episode was obviously written by someone who didn't spend a lot of time arount talented puppeteers. Both credited writers of this episode, Jay J. Demopoulos and Steven James Meyer, are new to the series. Also, according to their abbreviated history, they are quite new to television writing in general. Maybe Pancake was supposed to be merely a dumbed-down kiddie show puppet, but even so - a talented puppeteer makes you believe in the puppet with such ease. We all know about this on the forum. Also, it appears that Pancake was performed by a "ghost" puppeteer out of view for much of the episode. I wonder what she felt about that portion?
I think it was just written to be a joke, but I've never liked things that make fun of kids shows at all (not even Murphy Brown). The whole bashing Barney and Blue Clues and Dora (even though I don't care for them) fad is just overdone IMHO, and then to make fun of something good like Lamb Chop on top of it...*sigh* -.-

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I love Lamb Chop ..and well, when they make fun of someone like Sherri Lewis (who I think fit the label of "talented puppeteer" thank you) they might as well be making fun of me, because I have that sort of character (but no talent ) . And I love Mr. Rogers to, he helped me (and still does at times) well past the 'for kids' age group. I think it is all in your pov when it comes to things like this, I really think nearly any show passed Romper Room and Teletubbes can be 'all ages' if you have the right mindset. But then, I am the sort that I loves the 80's Care Bears

I think it was just written to be a joke, but I've never liked things that make fun of kids shows at all (not even Murphy Brown). The whole bashing Barney and Blue Clues and Dora (even though I don't care for them) fad is just overdone IMHO, and then to make fun of something good like Lamb Chop on top of it...*sigh* -.-
The Murphy Brown episode was a long time ago (in 1996, I believe) and it was quite funny at the time. I couldn't find it on YouTube. Neither that particular show nor the series was about making fun of kids programming in any way. It wasn't some type of fad either really. In fact, the incident with the puppet gave the Murphy Brown character bad press in the program for her actions. It just goes to prove you can't beat up on a puppet.

On another note, the portion of my post you didn't quote said this, "I have always been more of a Jim Henson/Chuck Jones television fan. However I do respect the Lewis and Rogers legacy and what it means to others."

Just stating my tastes while respecting that of others. I wish your response would have included the respectful reverence I was giving as well to insure there is no misunderstanding. Personal tastes are what they are. Jim Henson's work provided an instant connection while others didn't hold any interest for me.

I don't particularly believe this program made fun of Lewis as much as it took a dig at the world of puppetry right at the end. I take it few people here are going to see the Hannah Montana movie next year. He he. It appears that even Milley Cyrus is distancing herself from the character these days.