Sonia Manzano Appreciation Thread

peyjenk

Reaction score
Let's hear it for Sonia Manzano, our beloved Maria! Maria has always been my favorite human on Sesame Street... she's always been so loving and warm and big sisterly. I will never forget the way Oscar zips her off to the hospital in the Sloppy Jaloppy the night that Gabby was born... and the way she sang the "NO" song with Gina will always be in my heart... and the way she reluctantly goes to the Grouch restaurant in Follow That Bird.... ahh, the memories.

What are your favorite Maria memories?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
To many memories to count.:batty: But she is awesome and a wonderful person! Hoary for Mrs. Manzano:smile:

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Speaking as a half-Hispanic who grew up watching SS, I always loved Maria too. She had many classic moments, too many to list, Sonia Manzano is a treasure, hope she never leaves "The Street".

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It would be a great Ides if we posted Maria clips of moment that we remember of her!

armslength

Reaction score
Sonia is definately one of SS' underrated assets. She us always engaging, can be downright hysterically funny and warm and tender. Every now and then she can be just slightly hammy but given the context of her work - the audience and the fact that she often plays against Muppets, it totally works and i'm surprised she hasn't had more Emmy noms.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Maria has always been my favorite human character on the Street since I was a girl; she usually knows how to solve problems and help everybody get along. Her being bilingual and musically talented don't hurt, either... :smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Sonia is definately one of SS' underrated assets. She us always engaging, can be downright hysterically funny and warm and tender. Every now and then she can be just slightly hammy but given the context of her work - the audience and the fact that she often plays against Muppets, it totally works and i'm surprised she hasn't had more Emmy noms.
I think she had had some as a writer.