Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
My only problem with Modern Miss Piggy isn't her voice it's the fact that she only seems to have one emotion, constantly snarky and mean.
Like before when it was Frank behind the pig she would be sweet then get ticked off and then get the attitude.
Now she's just all attitude like all the time, it's not very becoming of the character.
I think a lot of the trouble is that the Muppet characters in specials and interviews have been a bit more interested in reminding viewers of the brand than reinstating their entire personalities and different character dynamics. I hope this project affords them the opportunity.

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I think a lot of the trouble is that the Muppet characters in specials and interviews have been a bit more interested in reminding viewers of the brand than reinstating their entire personalities and different character dynamics. I hope this project affords them the opportunity.
I really do hope you guys realize I'm not ragging on the new performers most of them really have come a long way.
I'm sure I could be coming off as old mr grumpy to some people, just trying to talk about it is all, I know some people can do that better than others.
Just to me the chracters should be on all the time, they've got big shoes to fill.
They're like understudies who have become the stars, that's sort of how I like at it.
But just because they've become the stars does not mean they shouldn't give 110% percent and constantly improve the characters they've been put behind. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I really do hope you guys realize I'm not ragging on the new performers most of them really have come a long way.
I'm sure I could be coming off as old mr grumpy to some people, just trying to talk about it is all, I know some people can do that better than others.
Just to me the chracters should be on all the time, they've got big shoes to fill.
They're like understudies who have become the stars, that's sort of how I like at it.
But just because they've become the stars does not mean they shouldn't give 110% percent and constantly improve the characters they've been put behind. :smile:
Oh, I agree to some extent that the performers may have been a little too timid in some cases, but Eric's Fozzie is so ON! I don't think his Piggy has been given much opportunity to be completely herself yet (OZ she was witches, NBC Christmas she was in an alternate reality and there are the brief appearances) but Muppets.com shows some great performances that seem like classic Piggy to me.

I don't think you're being particularly grumpy. Some of your statments go a bit further than I agree with, but I respect your opinion. :attitude:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I think the old Frank Oz piggy would destroy the new Miss Piggy in a beat down... and i'd pay to see it!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Honestly, I feel there was always something missing with Piggy since Jim's Passing. Frank still performed her beautifully... but she seemed a little off in the movies (due to the looping recorded lines). I feel Eric can do good with Piggy too... we just haven't seen much of it outside of rigidly scripted TV appearances and movies where she didn't quite play herself.

Maybe it's not the performer as much as the medium. I think she was characteristically on in VMX, for what you can tell of the non-alternate reality Piggy.

But for TV appearances with Kermit, it's always the same sort of stuff. The pig being the overzealous lover, while the frog keeps purposely jibing on her.

While Piggy is the most excersized of Eric's Frank Oz recasts, I feel he was really able to find his voice as Fozzie. The latest batch of TV appearances Eric was more in character as Fozzie than Steve as Kermit.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
:smile: These days Steve's overall Kermit is great about 90% of the time. He sometimes breaks in and out of Kermitdom, but I can't imagine anyone doing a finer job. Looking back at Jim's Kermit there is a different demeanor, but that's just Jim's personality. Kermit comes from a true honest place and that place is a little different for Jim and Steve. The same issue would arise from any other performer, but in different ways. He's still Kermit to me.
I agree with that. It takes alot to be Kermit. In order to be true to any character, you have to understand where they were coming from in the first place. You have to find that same, or a similar place within yourself. Dave Goelz said that characters come from an isolated part of your personality (such as a personal flaw), and Kermit's no different. I think Steve has found a place within his own personality to bring Kermit out from. You have to in order to continue any character.

I have one puppet that my brother used to perform. I took it over, and it was such a struggle to figure this character out. I knew the basics, since I've always written for that character, but I had a hard time figuring out what sparked him to life. I think I've finally found it, and it's my interpretation of the character. It's entirely true to it's origins (at least, I hope so), but the character has had to become more of mine in order to be what he should be.

I remember hearing and "i think" it was in the Jim Henson interview in the TMTM dvd features with Jim Henson saying that Frank Oz would sometimes catch Jim slipping out of Kermit's voice and talking in his own once in a while. I don't fully know for sure thats the source or not so please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone?:smile:
Yep, that was in the The Muppets Take Manhattan interview.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I feel there was always something missing with Piggy since Jim's Passing. Frank still performed her beautifully... but she seemed a little off in the movies (due to the looping recorded lines)...

Maybe it's not the performer as much as the medium. I think she was characteristically on in VMX, for what you can tell of the non-alternate reality Piggy...

While Piggy is the most excersized of Eric's Frank Oz recasts, I feel he was really able to find his voice as Fozzie. The latest batch of TV appearances Eric was more in character as Fozzie than Steve as Kermit.
I think you're right. I've heard Kevin Clash performed a lot of Miss Piggy's film and Muppets Tonight work that was later dubbed. I don't think his style of puppeteering was as good a fit. I also think it is more of the medium. I think Eric is growing into the role and that's what it takes. That sort of thing can't happen overnight.

uppitymuppity said:
I think the old Frank Oz piggy would destroy the new Miss Piggy in a beat down... and i'd pay to see it!
Well of course since Frank originated the role of Miss Piggy he'd be far better at it. That statement, while true, doesn't make much sense. :wink:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
I prefer to look at performance in a GYPSY ROSE LEE kinda way: "Either ya got it or ya 'aint!"

They should have a "Muppet Idol" show and may the best performer win the character!

you know I just had to go and counter everything - no hate mails please...:embarrassed:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Watch this interview with Steve and Eric: http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid192889081/bclid202217819/bctid202217783

I think Steve is great as Kermit! Yes, vocally the frog might sound a bit different from how he did in the 1970s and '80s. Compare Frank's "Muppet Show" era Piggy with how she sounded in 1999 (I think Eric greatly captures the classic Piggy we all love; in the later years I actually think Frank's performance started to slip somewhat); and Gonzo's voice has evolved a lot over the years (he's had the same performer since day one, and 1977's Gonzo sounds different from 1985's Gonzo; and 1985's Gonzo sounds different from 1999's Gonzo). Yes, Kermit's voice is different - I don't think you'll ever find a puppeteer that will be able to match Jim's vocal cords perfectly. Steve captures the spirit of the voice and is in the same vocal family. I don't mind the voice.

I think any problems with Steve's "modern Kermit" versus Jim's "classic Kermit" has nothing to do with Steve, but rather the material Steve/Kermit is given. I think most of the problems people have with the "modern Kermit" comes from the writers - not the puppeteer. The "problems" come from the material that the frog was given, not from Steve as the performer/actor/puppeteer. When Steve is improving as the frog he is great! However the problems come when he's given lame lines about "getting down with his bad self", or snarky jests at the pig, or bad swamp/amphibian puns. The times I felt Kermit was "off" is because the writers were "off", not because Steve was "off".

Hopefully Segal and Stoller "get it" and write a good script that treats Kermit's character right so Steve can provide us with the Kermit we love and not the loathed hip-hopping, pig-bashing, overly-snarky green menace.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Great! Great interview!

I think Steve and Eric really seem to work well together. Is this the first time we've really seen an interview with Eric Jacobson?

Status
Not open for further replies.