Possible NEW Muppet Movie?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
In other words, you gotta have connections before corporations will usually listen.

King Prawn

Reaction score
I need connections :smile:

What I wouldn't mind seeing is the suggested Muppet Haunted Hotel/House movie, that sounded cool, though only if they used Muppet Monsters we already know and love, unlike they did with the Muppet Monster Adventure game for PlayStation, I never understood why Uncle Deadly, Boppity, Gloat etc... weren't the monsters.

I also remember once I think it was in a Henson press release where they Mentioned a Muppet Time Travel film now that idea for some reason has always stuck with me.

Kermit, Prince Of Denmark also sounded intresting as did The Next Muppet Movie and The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made.

Am I missing any?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
All of 'em sound interesting to be sure.

beaker

Reaction score
I'd love to see almost anything, however the writers' strike and now the impending actors' strike will probably kill off anything that might have been in the works. I hate to be a pessimist, but I don't think that "top secret project" is going to be happening after all. Just call it a feeling I have.
That's what's worrisome. It's like FINALLY new Muppet projects were gaining some traction, only for *poof* it all to fall apart thanks to the WGA strike. Oy.

Btw, looks like Bill Baretta and Brian Henson are writing a script for the next Muppet film
http://muppetnewsflash.blogspot.com/2007/01/barretta-and-henson-work-on-script-for.html

I would LOVE for 2009 to see a new Muppet movie, Fraggle movie and Dark Crystal sequel in theatres

beaker

Reaction score
Thank goodness they didnt make that Halloween or Time travel special.

Most of us knew the moment it was announced that the Oz film would be pure garbage, and it was. It made Kermit Swamp Years look like an Oscar(no pun intended) worthy film.

While I absolutely loved(LOVED) Muppet Family Christmas(my fave Muppet production ever) and A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie; the next thing needs to be a new series and an original movie where the Muppets play themselves.

Five years isn't so bad for being the last Muppet movie(1999 if you include theatrical proper) but it's time to put up or shut up soon...if the Muppets are not back to the spotlight with a true new renassiance by 2009, it's pretty much over.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Thank goodness they didnt make that Halloween or Time travel special.

Most of us knew the moment it was announced that the Oz film would be pure garbage, and it was. It made Kermit Swamp Years look like an Oscar(no pun intended) worthy film.

While I absolutely loved(LOVED) Muppet Family Christmas(my fave Muppet production ever) and A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie; the next thing needs to be a new series and an original movie where the Muppets play themselves.

Five years isn't so bad for being the last Muppet movie(1999 if you include theatrical proper) but it's time to put up or shut up soon...if the Muppets are not back to the spotlight with a true new renassiance by 2009, it's pretty much over.
I just don't buy into the doom and gloom, now or never talk. It's always around and serves little purpose. I am excited about the prospects of a new project, but we'll have to wait and see. The very fact that the Muppets are still out there and growing in the public's consciousness (albeit in ways I don't prefer) speaks to the fact that they have a place in our culture and aren't going anywhere. :eek:

A project will come along and get green-lit down the road. It will be a longer road than fans would like, but we'll keep waiting. The Muppets have plenty of songs to fill the musak! :zany:

Luke

Reaction score
The very fact that the Muppets are still out there and growing in the public's consciousness (albeit in ways I don't prefer) speaks to the fact that they have a place in our culture and aren't going anywhere. :eek:
Agreed, they are too much a part of American/British culture to be completely shelved. Even if Diz locked the actual puppets away and only dragged them out on anniversaries they'd still be around, although i doubt they'll be retiring from the promo circuit just yet and can see something better coming along as well at some point, even if not a full scale return. Disney aren't stupid, the tape library is lucrative, and the actual Muppets being out in the public eye are great promotion for it. They can try other projects but suceed or fail they've always got that to fall back on so its solid for them.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Agreed, they are too much a part of American/British culture to be completely shelved. Even if Diz locked the actual puppets away and only dragged them out on anniversaries they'd still be around, although i doubt they'll be retiring from the promo circuit just yet and can see something better coming along as well at some point, even if not a full scale return. Disney aren't stupid, the tape library is lucrative, and the actual Muppets being out in the public eye are great promotion for it. They can try other projects but suceed or fail they've always got that to fall back on so its solid for them.
Dave Goelz remarked that the power of the Muppets vs classic Disney animated characters is that Kermit and the gang can interact -live and in real form- with the public and connect in a special way that costumed or super-imposed characters cannot. This, I believe, is where the mobile Muppet Lab concept came from. Although the public didn't initially recall Bunsen and Beaker's names, they did achieve a connection.

Disney just bought the Muppets a few years ago and has already begun using them some. There are some growing pains and it will take a while. Maybe they won't have a show for a while. Maybe they'll just have specials and special appearances. To me that's like the bulk of the 90s when Henson owned the gang.

Disney is a very calculating company. I'm sure they are trying to develop something. There's nothing they want more than a brand they can count on and I believe there are enough in Muppet Studios that feel that can happen with the Muppets. I believe in that idea too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd love to see almost anything, however the writers' strike and now the impending actors' strike will probably kill off anything that might have been in the works. I hate to be a pessimist, but I don't think that "top secret project" is going to be happening after all. Just call it a feeling I have.
That's pretty much something that bugs me on 2 levels. I am supportive of the writers getting what they want, that paultry nickle per DVD increase, but now the union wants to add in other demands that include taking over other unions (the animation guild) and creating new ones (reality writers). This is pretty much a politicking move to get more dues, and the reason why the strike will go on longer than it should have.

As for the actors, what the shell? Who's striking? The not that poor TV actors, or the greedy money ho big names? What do they want? Another house in the Bahamas? But then again, I can see the producers butt kissing the actors and directors while the writers are still in the streets.

Disney aren't stupid, the tape library is lucrative, and the actual Muppets being out in the public eye are great promotion for it. They can try other projects but suceed or fail they've always got that to fall back on so its solid for them.
But then again, they're all too busy trying to make the next cheesy tween com hit. I really hope Harry Potter the Series- er.. Wizards of Waverly Bombs. They're not even trying anymore. Turth is, unless you're a 9-14 year old girl, you don't matter.

Disney just bought the Muppets a few years ago and has already begun using them some. There are some growing pains and it will take a while. Maybe they won't have a show for a while. Maybe they'll just have specials and special appearances. To me that's like the bulk of the 90s when Henson owned the gang.

Disney is a very calculating company. I'm sure they are trying to develop something. There's nothing they want more than a brand they can count on and I believe there are enough in Muppet Studios that feel that can happen with the Muppets. I believe in that idea too.
I'm optimistic they would, I'm pessamistic they wouldn't. It seems they were realing from the "failure" or Muppet Wizard of Oz, which I feel was rushed into production, causing too many things to fall flat, and the influence of Disney (I wouldn't doubt for a moment they're the ones that picked a tween friendly star). Now, I can't blame them for the project sucking, but they had a hand in it. And since it aired A) opening weekend of a Star Wars film, and B ) at the same exact time as the Daytime Emmys, what where they expecting?

But by which, Muppet Show Season 1 flew off the shelves in no time, while the DVD release of MOZ was falling off the Shelf due to over stock.

I see the quality in the First and Second muppet show seasons. I really do. If they had that kind of care with the rest of the franchise, we'd see more than one or two overly scripted talk show appearances where Kermit slams Piggy over and over.

I still think they're not doing a service by not having any new merchandise to get really excited about either. Look at the burst of popularity they regained after the Palisades line came out. Sure, the Replicas are great. But Is the common slightly causual Muppet fan going to pay 300 bucks for something that big?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It seems they were realing from the "failure" or Muppet Wizard of Oz, which I feel was rushed into production, causing too many things to fall flat, and the influence of Disney (I wouldn't doubt for a moment they're the ones that picked a tween friendly star). Now, I can't blame them for the project sucking, but they had a hand in it. And since it aired A) opening weekend of a Star Wars film, and B ) at the same exact time as the Daytime Emmys, what where they expecting?

But by which, Muppet Show Season 1 flew off the shelves in no time, while the DVD release of MOZ was falling off the Shelf due to over stock.

I see the quality in the First and Second muppet show seasons. I really do. If they had that kind of care with the rest of the franchise, we'd see more than one or two overly scripted talk show appearances where Kermit slams Piggy over and over.

I still think they're not doing a service by not having any new merchandise to get really excited about either. Look at the burst of popularity they regained after the Palisades line came out. Sure, the Replicas are great. But Is the common slightly causual Muppet fan going to pay 300 bucks for something that big?
The Muppet Wizard of Oz was not a commercial failure. Not in the least. It didn't skyrocket anything, but I don't think that was expected by anyone? You may like it and many fans feel the same. Many don't. It wasn't perfect, but it had some great moments. I know many non-fans that really liked Oz and appreciated how it followed the book rather than the MGM production. Disney didn't launch any significant project afterward, but I don't think that was in the cards. I do think the special was rushed and that the director was upset about Disney's refusal to give it more money and a theatrical release. I side with Disney on that point. The next theatrical venture I'd prefer if the Muppets played themslelves.

I agree fully about the merchandise. Would it kill them to have some Kermit notebooks, towels and household items available at affordable prices? They have come out with a backpack, some cool T-Shirts, shot glasses and the daily calendar. That's a start.